SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-21, 10:49 PM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 on Steam

Are there any disadvantages to installing SH4 via Steam, especially with regards to modding? I lost my CD and right now SH4 + UBM is on sale for just a few dollars.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-21, 10:53 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Are there any disadvantages to installing SH4 via Steam, especially with regards to modding? I lost my CD and right now SH4 + UBM is on sale for just a few dollars.

Oh man how did you do that lol I guard my CD like it is gold haha.

I notice a lot of people run into issues with the steam version esp in regards to mods. I would say if can find another disk, go that route first. Make sure its V 1.5 which is the u boat missions, usually called gold edition I believe. If unable, guess steam is worth a try.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 12:43 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Steam is not as bad as it once was. I have several Silent Hunter games running from Steam with no issue. You just CANNOT install the Steam Library in a Program Files folder, which is what the Steam install defaults to. If you have two valid hard drives, you can install Steam in its default, and then install Silent Hunter 4 on the 2nd hard drive in another Library folder, or just install it all in a folder of your own creation. You can change the path easy enough from "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam..." to your own "C:\Games \Steam..." or whatever you want.

Also, just as an option, Ubisoft US has it "on sale for $2.50 for the Gold Edition at Silent Hunter 4 DLC-PC - they are similar to Steam in having their own "starter" app that checks the licensing when you start the game, but it is easier to copy and paste the Ubisoft version to different folders for custom modding. Steam can be a bit fiddly about that if you don't do it correctly.

A disk is the best way, but you most likely will not find one of those, unless you find someone on eBay that doesn't realize what they have, and will sell if for less that $50US... There is one in England right now for $8, but shipping and duties will kill that, and then there is one in Spain for $35, and I have no idea how much shipping and duties will add to that... and that's it, two disks, both used... Do you believe them when they say "very good condition"??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 01:13 AM   #4
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Steam is not as bad as it once was. I have several Silent Hunter games running from Steam with no issue. You just CANNOT install the Steam Library in a Program Files folder, which is what the Steam install defaults to. If you have two valid hard drives, you can install Steam in its default, and then install Silent Hunter 4 on the 2nd hard drive in another Library folder, or just install it all in a folder of your own creation. You can change the path easy enough from "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam..." to your own "C:\Games \Steam..." or whatever you want.
Steam (the program) is installed to wherever it defaults to, but all my Steam games are installed at D:/Steam. Would that be ok?
Old 11-26-21, 01:37 AM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Steam (the program) is installed to wherever it defaults to, but all my Steam games are installed at D:/Steam. Would that be ok?
I have 2 internal hd's... 1st, a .5 TB drive that I have the Steam launcher assigned to, then I have the library for it on the external drive.

I downloaded the Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the pacific: Uboat missions v1.5, 1st... then created another folder as follows:

E:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH-megamods\SH4-megamods

E:\ being the external drive...

I have all copies of the original SH4, there... all 9, there... each with their own game save folder, created using MultiSH4.

The original, which I ran once, to finish the install set up of it, is in \common, left there, un-modified, as My gold standard go to, for copying from.

As for the launcher... I'd strongly recommend dumping it from \Program files... completely... to avoid any possible issues from UAC.

Hope this info helps... if you have any further questions... feel free to hit Me up in DM.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-26-21 at 01:46 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 07:24 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Quote:
I would think so, I have windows booting up on c: and I have Steam in an E: raid one using a program files(x86)folder. Don't ask me how I ended up with programfiles(x86) on both drives I forget, but I'm using the default folder you're not supposed to on a non c:drive and I have multiple mods of SH4 working with occasional glitches. Just be sure to use separate folders for each mod pointing to their own save game location fresh installations and you should be good to go.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 11:56 PM   #7
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Thanks all for taking the trouble to reply. I shall purchase it, as a back up to replace the CD I lost.
Knowing me, in precisely 30 minutes after I buy the game I'll stumble across the CD :/
Old 11-27-21, 04:45 PM   #8
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Thanks all for taking the trouble to reply. I shall purchase it, as a back up to replace the CD I lost.
Knowing me, in precisely 30 minutes after I buy the game I'll stumble across the CD :/
LOL that's how it goes. Same for me and my massive dvd movie collection. I have three of some movies........
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 05:32 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
LOL that's how it goes. Same for me and my massive dvd movie collection. I have three of some movies........

Can always sell off 1 of the 3, keep 1 for watching & the 2nd.. as a back up copy in case of loss of the primary one.

Recoup a bit of the cost... just an idea.

M. M.