SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-21, 08:44 PM   #16
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ok, cool, you seem to know what you are doing. carry on.

lol to a degree. If you have any guidance to offer I am all ears, well eyes in this case.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 09:02 AM   #17
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
lol to a degree. If you have any guidance to offer I am all ears, well eyes in this case.
send me a PM with your question(s).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 12:15 PM   #18
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
send me a PM with your question(s).
Thanks, will do.
Old 11-13-21, 04:35 PM   #19
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
August 1943

In all the years of SH 4 never had this happen, sure I would have noticed. Crewman slowly died in that manner. Seen morale as manic one other time, just wondering if anyone has seen this or noticed before?

Also shocked as it was an experienced Petty Officer 1st Class, been on boat for 6 out of ten patrols. Interesting dynamic to the sim.
i know it has been several months since this occurred, but, by chance, do you remember which torpedo room position went manic?

i have a hunch (no Young Frankenstein references, PB) that it was probably the third section leader in the aft torpedo room.

LAA enabled
Old 11-15-21, 04:48 PM   #20
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Well, there is no way to do a "burial at sea" so he stays in the crew berthing in the sim until back in port, then remove him from roster. If you put him at one of the stations where crew are rendered in 3d, they collapse on the floor.
If.. I am recalling rightly, SH3... did have a means to bury the dead, at sea... I believe. Has been a while since I had any dead on board... so... I will... say, that My memory may be a bit... foggy on that.

A shame that SH4 (which as I understand it, is based on the bones of SH3 (roughly...) did NOT include that, as a viable function...

M. M.
Old 11-15-21, 07:30 PM   #21
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
i know it has been several months since this occurred, but, by chance, do you remember which torpedo room position went manic?

i have a hunch (no Young Frankenstein references, PB) that it was probably the third section leader in the aft torpedo room.
I am not 100 percent sure but believe that is correct. Please elaborate on your hunch?
Old 11-15-21, 07:46 PM   #22
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If.. I am recalling rightly, SH3... did have a means to bury the dead, at sea... I believe. Has been a while since I had any dead on board... so... I will... say, that My memory may be a bit... foggy on that.

A shame that SH4 (which as I understand it, is based on the bones of SH3 (roughly...) did NOT include that, as a viable function...

M. M.

Interesting. Definitely something we should have in SH 4.

Apparently, there is a hidden/disabled abandon ship feature in SH 4. Twice this has happened....I am in the middle of a attack and my fingers slip off he key when trying to give command to raise/lower scope, change speed and I heard "abandon ship" uttered by the watch officer. Nothing happened, but he said it. First time I thought I misunderstood, but second time was a few months later and heard it clear. Not sure of exact key combo to recreate it at will.

Among several key things left out by devs that should have been in SH 4 is abandon ship and burial at sea. I recall in stock how ridiculous it was to get your rudder destroyer by deprh charge and were stuck, since they did not bother to give us independent engine control (or even four actual engines as fleetboats had, plus the aux diesel!) so could not steer. Lose props, engines, or rudders, game over. Carried over into mods. Only fix is to make the rudder etc essentially invulnerable. In my revised damage model, the rudder, engines, props can be damaged, but rudder, and one of the props and engines have enough HP assigned they are highly unlikely to ever be destroyed. Where as others could be, although they are tough, as this equipment was in real life.

It is interesting , the effects damage has on the sub. For example, my port prop shaft was nearly destroyed one patrol, two really close depth charges got it. Took a week to be fully repaired, but even then, sub could never reach max surfaced speed on surface, always around 18 knots or less instead of 20. Makes sense, but wish the DC screen was a bit more informative . Also noticed my sub was noisier even at silent running. Wish the noise was audible to player, simulate the prop shaft squeaking etc due to damage when knocked out of alignment.

Traveller created the SOS/Rescue mod, which I am shocked has never been implemented into the big mods.
Old 11-15-21, 09:29 PM   #23
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
I am not 100 percent sure but believe that is correct. Please elaborate on your hunch?
i think that there are certain positions(billets) that are pre-disposed for certain actions and reactions. i think that they are hard-coded in the injury subroutines or have a higher percentage of probability of injury in some internal table. i think this because it seems that the same guys are always hurt first and the worst.

one of them is the 3rd section Aft Torpedo Room. he is pre-disposed to be the first one injured when that room is attacked. another position is the 1st section of the Command Room.

i do not think there is anything we can do about it but play, watch, and learn.

LAA enabled
Old 11-15-21, 09:35 PM   #24
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Interesting.

Among several key things left out by devs that should have been in SH 4 is abandon ship and burial at sea.
I am about 95% sure that I can mod them in!!

You can adapt the torpedo tube and dive plane animations to pretty much anything you want - while working on Wolves of the Kaiser I was able to use one stock animation to mimic the raising/lowering of the big radio masts that existed on old-fashioned subs.

With additions to the sub's .dat file and fiddling with animations, you could add a torpedo tube open animation on a sub to represent the abandon ship process - complete with as many crew as the game can support. Same with a funeral ceremony for whenever the crew died. You wouldn't even need to do any new key mapping etc - you would simply select the dummy torpedo tube and open/close it to initiate or stop the animation...by pressing "Q" after selection! And it would not be visible when not needed.

The cons -

-1) The option would always be available whenever you want, but of course if you have discipline you will only use it when appropriate.

-2) I am not 100% sure I can design a custom button in the SH4 interface to represent these options.

-3) There is no way to link the animations to actual instances of ship damage or crew death - again, you'd need to be disciplined and only use it when appropriate.

-4) It would make the torpedo launching interface slightly more cluttered.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 11:27 PM   #25
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I am about 95% sure that I can mod them in!!
so...you would load crew into this pseudo-torpedo tube, open the doors, and eject them, i assume, one at a time?

what happens, in the game, if you abandon ship and your boat sinks?

i do not believe there is a program-ending for that scenario. can you create a unique one?

LAA enabled
Old 11-15-21, 11:53 PM   #26
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

no no no... You click the Command button for burial at sea (ie: Open Tube 12), and like the CMD boat launch, it would initiate an animation sequence, but with the crew on deck at attention, all salute, and then the burial. Animation ends. Whether you want a crew to run through the hatches out on the deck, and then afterwards run back through the hatches would determine how complicated you wanted to make it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote