SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-21, 09:56 PM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Any bad consequences of not completing a mission objective?

I was on patrol north of Luzon in Dec '41 when I came across an enemy TF. I radioed the contact in, and was tasked to "inflict heavy losses" on the TF. Unfortunately I caught the tail end of the TF and my S-class couldn't muster enough speed to do an end around. I decided to break off contact and resume patrol.
So when I end the patrol, are there any negative consequences apart from the renown forfeited?
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-21, 05:24 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
I was on patrol north of Luzon in Dec '41 when I came across an enemy TF. I radioed the contact in, and was tasked to "inflict heavy losses" on the TF. Unfortunately I caught the tail end of the TF and my S-class couldn't muster enough speed to do an end around. I decided to break off contact and resume patrol.
So when I end the patrol, are there any negative consequences apart from the renown forfeited?
Not that I can recall of... just look to find & sink some other targets of opportunity & that should be enough to offset the deficit on that TF that got away...

But... to be frank about it, it depends... what mod set are you rolling with there... stock, FotRS-U, TMO....

M. M.
Old 10-17-21, 06:51 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
i do not usually go over the top of another reply (especially MM) but i am going to add to what he replied.

there are dozens of posts and comments on renown available on Subsim (and probably alternate sites) so this certainly not definitive however i have been on a personal jihad/crusade over the last two years or so to try and figure out with more certainty how renown is calculated.

know this, that the US side has different code than the German side. The German part of SH4 has a lot of residuals from SH3, and probably with good reason.

secondly, skippers accrue points during a mission and their point total must equal or exceed the six or seven levels of success for a mission. we are speaking of careers, here, and not single missions or war patrols.
points are subject to multipliers based on degree of difficulty. (remember that dropdown box when you started your career?) the multiplier is applied to points and the result is renown, which is a kind of SH4-currency to upgrade crew and optional equipment.

the six or seven (i forget) levels of success are available in other posts and can be viewed in the UPC.UPC config file.

every objective, ship, plane, sub, et.al. has points associated with its fulfillment or its demise.

objectives have ONLY positive points, meaning complete the objective and you get the points. not completing the objective means no points for that.

enemy objects have positive points, ally objects carry negative points. so, destroy and enemy, good points, destroy an ally negative points.

so, bottom line to your question: if you miss completing an objective you do not get the points assigned to it. you can make up for that by destroying enemy ships. also, near as i can tell, secondary objectives do not seem to have as many points at risk as the primary mission objective. so, if you miss one it should not be a major concern. missing the primary will be a few-to-several-hundred points left on the table.

i think that is more than enough. this post got away from me. i am starting to reply like PB and one is more than enough )

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-21, 08:10 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

In TMO, generally no.

However, should always complete objective i.e. reach certain area, patrol area for so many days etc. in case you have a dry run. That way you are earning renown and the system rates you positively. Consistently failing to complete these objectives (patrol objectives) without sinking nice amount of shipping, can lead to loss of command, i.e. your career is over, game over. This happened to me once before I knew how to edit certain game files to get to date I wanted ( during testing of the mod) (while back) I skipped two patrols...started then ended, so had what game considered two dry patrols, without completing assignment to patrol etc On the test patrol I went to an area to check on traffic and ignored the area I was ordered to and sunk two ships. Saved. Well I used too much time compression near Pearl, CTD. Reloaded game, the old bug happened where it does not count sinkings, so sim counted me as having no sinkings and not completed assignment for third time in a row lol. I was relieved of command after ended patrol with a snarky message, and shown the home screen lol. So it seems three strikes youre out.

This is pretty important in early war period since due to torpedo issues, will be lucky to sink one ship per patrol, sometimes two.

Far as the orders received when spot a convoy etc, no failure to accomplish them does not affect, other then do not earn renown from any sinkings of enemy vessels.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote