SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-21, 06:33 AM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRSU 1.46 CTD

Loaded up a prior save and when the game would normally show the control room, the game would quit to desktop, no error message.
Previous patrol completed with no issues.
Started a new patrol and I face the same problem.
This is the CD version, running on Windows 10.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 07:26 AM   #2
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

I was having a rash of crash issues with both vanilla and fotrsu. What fixed mine I was saving too fast and resuming patrol or saving and quitting the game. I take at least a full minute between steps in the saving process and resuming and saving and quitting game and haven't had any issues when I do this. Give it a try. Good luck! I use my watch to actually time it between steps.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=249954
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 09:58 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Loaded up a prior save and when the game would normally show the control room, the game would quit to desktop, no error message.
Previous patrol completed with no issues.
Started a new patrol and I face the same problem.
This is the CD version, running on Windows 10.
Can you go into your Save folder, which is generally "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 \data \cfg \SaveGames" and find the most recent numbered folder below that? Those folders are numbered in hex digits, so you might see the letters a-f and digits 0-9, and do not always seem to be listed in a logical order. But find the folder with the latest date and time stamp, copy it to another folder, and then "zip" it up with 7-zip or other archive app. Upload it to something like Google Drive, or MediaFire, or DropBox, or some such file share site, so that I can download it, look and see what you might have. Share the link via a PM here, if you please. In the v1.46, we did find a few issues, especially at Fremantle, with certain boats and radar and conning tower upgrades, as well as a few problem mission assignments. Most, but not all of those, were found and edited out for the Preview release (don't forget the Preview_EnlistedFix.7z), but we have found a few others over the last few weeks that are "fighting" all efforts to alter. We are trying to "fix" these new ones still, yet not lose any mod functionality. Testing continues...

Also, please keep in mind that when you report an issue with FotRSU, please post on the last page of the FotRSU release thread. Include the boat you are using, the port where you sailed from, and the date. Any pertinent details you can think of are usually quite helpful. It is also a good idea to include which folder you have your SH4 game installed in, and whether or not you have checked the LAA (or 4Gig Patch) for proper activation on SH4.exe. Thanks

PS: it is possible that a bad assignment is causing your issue. It is sometimes possible to "fix" those with a Save folder edit, and if that is possible, we'll do so and send you the folder back, so that you can attempt to continue from where you are.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-21, 10:23 PM   #4
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Argh. I wish I'd read your post earlier. I've reverted to my previous, GFO mod, version which appears to be stable so far, and I think I've deleted the FOTRS game saves.
I know what I should do is to uninstall and reinstall a fresh game then apply the mods over that. Unfortunately I've misplaced my SH4 CD so that's not an option any more.
Old 10-16-21, 03:31 PM   #5
propbeanie

You had better find that disk before Christmas mister... Santa might have a new computer in your stocking for you, and you will definitely want that disk for that!!! lol - I pre-ordered my first SH4, which was supposed to have come with the "goodie" pack of a poster and a booklet, and few other trinkets in the box (a tin??), but alas, too many people ordered ahead of me, and I got an apology instead. Oh well. Anyway, I cannot find my original disk either. However, I have a v1.3 disk, and 2 Gold Edition disks, as well as a Ubisoft download version of Gold Edition, and an old U-Boat Missions Add-On download... so I am pretty well covered for all of my computers... The Ubisoft US Store has Gold Edition for $10 US right now, and they'll probably drop it down to roughly $3 when Steam does their fall sale, to stay in competition with them... GFO is good stuff though. If it works, use it!

Old 10-16-21, 09:14 PM   #6
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Sound advice sir. I guess I'll keep a look out on Steam, I'm pretty sure SH4 will be cheap when it's on sale seeing that it's more than a decade old.
Old 10-28-21, 09:09 PM   #7
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Icon9

Just an update, I'm experiencing the same problem but this time with a GFO-modded game.
I can load a previous save up to a certain point and continue playing. However any saves made past that point will not load - I will just exit to desktop.

Frustrating as hell. I'm on my 7th patrol - 3 in an S class, 3 in a Porpoise class, and the first in a Gato.

Update to the update: I've found a workaround. If I load a save that actually loads (so it's a much earlier one), then I find that I can exit to main menu and load my recalcitrant save and it loads properly. Go figure.

Last edited by Zero Niner; 10-29-21 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-29-21, 07:31 AM   #8
propbeanie

When changing between mods, you do have to be careful, not only with the Save folder, but also with the game folder. Even use of the JSGME "Tasks" utility "Generate snapshot of game files" and then comparing with the similar "Compare game files to snapshot" cannot beat a fresh install of the game, since the compare function can take a good while to run.

Generally speaking, you can copy an original, un-modded SH4 install folder, and paste it to a new folder with a different name, and then apply mods. The use of MultiSH4 v1.5 allows editing the FileManager.dll of the game, such that you then can have a Save folder for SH4, GFO, TMO, FRS, or whatever 3-character combination you desire to use (no special characters, of course) for each of your game folders. This can keep each of your installs of the game segregated such that they do not overwrite each other.

GFO is basically Stock, with Fixes Only applied, and as such, should not have any issue with Save games, other than what Stock does. Things to remember about the Game and Saves, is that you need a "clean" segment of your hard drive, with plenty of space on it, so that the game isn't having to find little segments of free space to use as it is writing the Save. It is best to have a fast, internal drive if possible. It is also best to keep the number of Save slots down. Do not rely upon the game's automatic Saves, yet don't allow the number of Saves you have get above a screen or two of the listings in the Save dialog.

Most players will save several times during a patrol, just in case something does go wrong, but when they come back in from Patrol, they will clean the folder up, keeping maybe a Save they made as they came back in (in case a conn or other upgrade goes wrong), and then get rid of most of the others, except the game's auto-saves. Then go out on the next patrol and Save again after leaving port, and then anytime encountering anything that might be important. It is best to Save when it it not really busy, also best when you are on the surface at night. This is NOT as important as it was in SH3, where your boat might be diving when you restore the Save, and you cannot recover the dive... that is not cool... SH4 is much better at Saving. But you will still have the occasional hiccup, and it can be very difficult to track down. Your work-around is one of several ways around the issue, and is the easiest to do. But it does tell you that there is an issue somewhere in the system, whether there is something wrong on the hard drive, the game, or whatever. Save again, and then if you have quite a few Saves, get rid of some - but do it from the game's dialog, NOT from the Windows File Manager. Only use File Manager to clear the entire folder contents...

Old 10-29-21, 10:04 AM   #9
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

I first experienced this with a FOTRS mod. Then when the bug surfaced I removed it and went GFO instead, as I was under the impression that it was mod related.
I know I should do a new install but I lost my CD

I guess I'll just have to wait until it's on sale on Steam.

Thanks for the tips on file management.