SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-21, 04:23 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Dismissing shaken/manic crew TMO Update

TMO 2.5 Update

Interesting bit I observed on last few patrols in USS Seal SS-183(Salmon) is that one particular Torpedoman 2nd Class in after Torpedo Room, who had been on boat since December 41 and made all six patrols, been through all the comes with, started to crack easy.

On the 4th patrol, aft torpedo room took a close depth charge, injured everyone in compartment, damaged equipment etc but all repaired quickly. Except this TM2, morale was "shaken" for nearly rest of the patrol. Since returned to normal kept him aboard as he was highly skilled torpedoman and gunner.

On the 5th patrol he was fine, although I noticed he fatigued faster than others.

On the last patrol October 24th-December 2 1942, we started in Fremantle, Australia, fueled at Darwin, patrolled off Palau then ended the patrol at Pearl Harbor (instructions on how to do this will be in upcoming TMO patch) . I noticed after departing Darwin, his fatigue and efficiency level were lower than others, a bit lower actually.

On 4 November off Palau we were depth charged, but it was largely ineffective, but lasted for five hours or so.

On 9 November, while just outside the north entrance to Palau anchorage, Seal was depth charged following an attack on merchant (torpedoes prematurely exploded) . The aux sub chaser turned out to be first tea, delivered probably the second most effective depth charging since December 24 1941 when boat was nearly lost in Bashi Channel, Philippines due to hull damage and heavy from two top notch DD's depth charge attack.

Attack lasted several hours, Every compartment had serious damage at some point in the attack. The aft torpedo room took the worst, with flooding, damage to port prop shaft(even after repaired, boat would never get above 19 knots on surface for rest of patrol) all four torpedoes heavily damage, including tubes 6,7 which were not operational for three days after and required five to completely repair them.

Once flooding was controlled , checked on the injured crew in aft torpedo, all were reported injured. Most injuries were minor with health levels not falling below 95 percent, except for the one TM 2. Health was at 88 and his morale was "shaken". Checked status after another hour of depth charging, he was now listed as "manic" I removed him from torpedo room and placed in crew berthing.

Seal finally escaped and surfaced around 0100 on 10 November, heading west to regroup and repair damage. This torpedoman was still listed as manic. Eventually his morale went back to shaken and by time reached pearl harbor, he was at normal. However, his efficiency remained low. While in port, he was rotated off the boat.

I find it interesting how the sim simulates this. In past have not modded the crew too much but am paying attention as I plan to make some changes in future.

Only one other time have I had a crewmember or noticed one that was manic. Was injured and manic, and actually passed away en route to home port.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 09:38 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
TMO 2.5 Update

Interesting bit I observed on last few patrols in USS Seal SS-183(Salmon) is that one particular Torpedoman 2nd Class in after Torpedo Room, who had been on boat since December 41 and made all six patrols, been through all the comes with, started to crack easy.

On the 4th patrol, aft torpedo room took a close depth charge, injured everyone in compartment, damaged equipment etc but all repaired quickly. Except this TM2, morale was "shaken" for nearly rest of the patrol. Since returned to normal kept him aboard as he was highly skilled torpedoman and gunner.

On the 5th patrol he was fine, although I noticed he fatigued faster than others.

On the last patrol October 24th-December 2 1942, we started in Fremantle, Australia, fueled at Darwin, patrolled off Palau then ended the patrol at Pearl Harbor (instructions on how to do this will be in upcoming TMO patch) . I noticed after departing Darwin, his fatigue and efficiency level were lower than others, a bit lower actually.

On 4 November off Palau we were depth charged, but it was largely ineffective, but lasted for five hours or so.

On 9 November, while just outside the north entrance to Palau anchorage, Seal was depth charged following an attack on merchant (torpedoes prematurely exploded) . The aux sub chaser turned out to be first tea, delivered probably the second most effective depth charging since December 24 1941 when boat was nearly lost in Bashi Channel, Philippines due to hull damage and heavy from two top notch DD's depth charge attack.

Attack lasted several hours, Every compartment had serious damage at some point in the attack. The aft torpedo room took the worst, with flooding, damage to port prop shaft(even after repaired, boat would never get above 19 knots on surface for rest of patrol) all four torpedoes heavily damage, including tubes 6,7 which were not operational for three days after and required five to completely repair them.

Once flooding was controlled , checked on the injured crew in aft torpedo, all were reported injured. Most injuries were minor with health levels not falling below 95 percent, except for the one TM 2. Health was at 88 and his morale was "shaken". Checked status after another hour of depth charging, he was now listed as "manic" I removed him from torpedo room and placed in crew berthing.

Seal finally escaped and surfaced around 0100 on 10 November, heading west to regroup and repair damage. This torpedoman was still listed as manic. Eventually his morale went back to shaken and by time reached pearl harbor, he was at normal. However, his efficiency remained low. While in port, he was rotated off the boat.

I find it interesting how the sim simulates this. In past have not modded the crew too much but am paying attention as I plan to make some changes in future.

Only one other time have I had a crewmember or noticed one that was manic. Was injured and manic, and actually passed away en route to home port.

never experienced that previously...with any mod set (Stock, TMO, RSRD, RFB, any version of FOTRS/FOTRSU, OpMonson or Dark Waters).
very interesting.
were you able to measure any noticeable difference in actual performance by the aft torpedo room when the the TM2 had morale less than optimal?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 10:13 PM   #3
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
TMO 2.5 Update

More immersion is good.
Old 10-12-21, 10:52 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
never experienced that previously...with any mod set (Stock, TMO, RSRD, RFB, any version of FOTRS/FOTRSU, OpMonson or Dark Waters).
very interesting.
were you able to measure any noticeable difference in actual performance by the aft torpedo room when the the TM2 had morale less than optimal?

Its easy to miss, I did for a long time. After a depth charging, especially if the boat and specifically the compartment the crew is in took damage, click on them and look at their stats. Typically their avatar has to be tinted red showing they were injured etc . I had noticed shaken a few times but this is only second time have noticed one listed as "manic".

I did notice a decline in overall performance and the stats of the after torpedo room as a whole with him in there after he was "shaken" on the 4th patrol, as he was a watch leader (second row, lead slot) in that compartment. Then the stats went lower when he went manic. When replaced with a TM 3 from forward torpedo room after he went manic, the after torpedo rooms stats increased, noticed a subtle difference in reload time. Forward torpedo performance remained the same, as they had an extra extra rated torpedoman in there anyways.

Next time I plan to write down torpedo reload times etc to compare. Was busy dodging depth charges this time lol.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 10-13-21 at 06:03 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 05:44 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
I did noticed a decline in overall performance and the stats of the after torpedo room as a whole with him in there after he was "shaken" on the 4th patrol, as he was a watch leader (second row, lead slot) in that compartment. Then the stats went lower when he went manic. When replaced with a TM 3 from forward torpedo room after he went manic, the after torpedo rooms stats increased, noticed a subtle difference in reload time. Forward torpedo performance remained the same, as they had an extra extra rated torpedoman in there anyways.

Next time I plan to write down torpedo reload times etc to compare. Was busy dodging depth charges this time lol.
very interesting.
since i had never experienced the performance difference and, having played SH3 for only a short time, i always attributed Morale as a holdover trait from SH3 that was no longer affecting play in SH4.

like your last sentence, i am usually too busy performing command responsibilities (ordering evasive action, performing personnel changes to repair either the boat or the bodies, counterattacking) to take notice of morale of any one crew.

i will have to give this some thought the next time we are under attack.
i am currently playing DW which, in my experience, operates under a different code-set than the US theater of operations. with that in mind, i would expect there are more SH3 features in effect than US mod sets.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 06:18 PM   #6
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
Film, sir.
Old 10-13-21, 06:45 PM   #7
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

closer it can get to real life more i like it i just got to remember i cant walk the sub and talk to the crew like silent hunter 5
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 02:09 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Only time I noticed a big difference was using Trav's mod where he really worked over the crew ratings. I think if their injuries took them down to 60% they became zero effective and many shaken or panicked. I noticed having many becoming ineffective loading and repair times were greatly impacted. It was a lil too much IMO, but I did see major differences.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote