SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-19, 06:17 PM   #1
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default crew management help

Maybe I am over-analyzing this. Crew management in SH4 doesn't make sense to me (was an exclusive SH3 player till last month). Is there a good tutorial out there?
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-19, 06:43 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Not much to manage, though you can move the crew around, grouping them as you wish, and for whatever purpose you wish. The game does most of it for you. But when they get tired, they sleep, so you do have to watch for that, but it seldom happens. Generally, if you don't forget Battle Stations, you're OK. If one gets wounded, you can move them to a less-important station, and move another to where they were.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-19, 07:16 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac919 View Post
Maybe I am over-analyzing this. Crew management in SH4 doesn't make sense to me (was an exclusive SH3 player till last month). Is there a good tutorial out there?
it may help us with advice if you explain what you are trying to accomplish via crew management. unlike you, i am not a SH3 player so i do not know what you are trying to do.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-19, 08:00 PM   #4
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it may help us with advice if you explain what you are trying to accomplish via crew management. unlike you, i am not a SH3 player so i do not know what you are trying to do.
In SH3, there are resting berths. Crew members get tired, u move them from their stations to the barracks. In SH4, I dont understand the levels I II III and who is resting and who isn't. Again, maybe I am over analyzing this
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 01:36 AM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac919 View Post
In SH3, there are resting berths. Crew members get tired, u move them from their stations to the barracks. In SH4, I dont understand the levels I II III and who is resting and who isn't. Again, maybe I am over analyzing this
The crew are divided into three watch sections that automatically rotate. Crew members assigned to the deck or AA guns are only active when you give the order to man said guns. As far as the game is concerned all crew members eat, sleep, and stand watch in the compartment they're assigned to. What that means is that the Watch Crew on the Bridge will be injured by depth charges while submerged. Some mods have added another compartment for you to move external crew members so they don't take damage. However, all crew moves must be done one at a time by clicking on, dragging, and dropping the crew member into the new slot. There is no way that I'm aware of to move entire compartments like in SH3.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 05:16 PM   #6
podunkpete
Sailor man

Downloads: 174
Default Command or Watch-standing?

Checking back in to the forums after an absence, I was glad to see this thread. A minor issue I've had is what specialty to put where. That is, should the conning tower be populated with watch standers, command, something else? Who best to assign topside? I assume the control room is best filled with command, until someone from the torpedo room (or sometimes engine room) suddenly shows up as a pro in diving? (An online course I suspect.) I've also been surprised that I can sometimes replace a seasoned officer with an e-6 who is more efficient and get a noticeable boost in the green bar next to that watch section. Is it a case of shuffle the players to find the best result or are there some pointers somewhere?
podunkpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 06:55 PM   #7
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunkpete View Post
Checking back in to the forums after an absence, I was glad to see this thread. A minor issue I've had is what specialty to put where. That is, should the conning tower be populated with watch standers, command, something else? Who best to assign topside? I assume the control room is best filled with command, until someone from the torpedo room (or sometimes engine room) suddenly shows up as a pro in diving? (An online course I suspect.) I've also been surprised that I can sometimes replace a seasoned officer with an e-6 who is more efficient and get a noticeable boost in the green bar next to that watch section. Is it a case of shuffle the players to find the best result or are there some pointers somewhere?
This is the most useful I've found.

As for ratings by compartment: Command in Control, Sensors in the Conning Tower, and Guns or Watch on the AA and deck guns. Usually it's Guns but I have had a few Watch guys with high Gun values who do a fine job.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 06:06 AM   #8
gsand1
Nub

[QUOTE]

Guns:
50% Mechanical, 50% Electrical, 20% Guns and 50% watch

Thanks for this link, really useful. One question- I don't understand the above, seems to me Guns would be influenced most by Guns efficiency. When I have a two man gun I do try to find a #2 with both decent Gun and Mechanical as I do get the loading needing a better Mech rating. The Electrical part I don't get at all...but it's Ubi so who knows why I guess.
Thanks again for the useful info.
gsand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:16 AM   #9
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

I don't get the electrical aspect either and had indeed forgotten about it, going strictly by Gun and Watch values when selecting gun crew. Seems to work well enough.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 10:50 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

gsand1!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-20, 09:45 PM   #11
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

For the engine room, you want high mechanical ability.
For the control room, you want high command ability. High mechanical helps.
For the conning tower, high electrical ability. Watch ability helps.
For the torpedo rooms, you want a combination of high mechanical and guns ability.
For watch, you want high watch ability.
For guns, you want high guns ability and high watch ability.
For the damage control crew, you want high mechanical ability. High electrical ability helps.
For every compartment, every shift, you want the leader to have high ability for the compartment and high command ability.
After taking time to get your crew set, then you don't need to mess with them again. Although, crew members will get promoted and/or gain special skills in which you may want to move them for the better benefit.
Old 03-22-20, 07:07 AM   #12
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

SH 4 crew management is the best in the series IMHO. It requires very little micromanagement. I usually just give it a good workover at the beginning of a patrol to make sure each station has the best crewmembers based on their abilities.

I will also micromanage before an attack to make sure each station is properly crewed.
Old 05-02-20, 08:20 AM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

There are other details I cannot figure out in the management screen:

a) The red line that crosses all the compartements shows the active crew for the turn shift, and the others are always inactive, right?

b) Probably my deck gun and AA gun which are damamged and in red are destroyed, because even if I assemble a repair crew and give the command, it's never repaired (while on surface of course, but rough sea will maybe avoid repair?). That brings me to this: immediately on the right of the icon there is a vertical progress red bar; I always thought that the fuller the bar is, the more damage the item has, but it must be the contrary, because my deck + AA gun have an empty progress bar. So empty means destroyed, and much red means slightly damaged?

c) If you don't assemble a repair crew then nothing is ever repaired? Also after awhile the green bar denoting how good in general the repair crew is will plummet to zero although they are not sleeping. That means I should change all the repair crew?

I'm playing with FORTSU mod.

Thanks very much to clarify for me!
Greetings,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-02-20 at 08:34 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 09:17 AM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
There are other details I cannot figure out in the management screen:

a) The red line that crosses all the compartements shows the active crew for the turn shift, and the others are always inactive, right?
Correct
Quote:
b) Probably my deck gun and AA gun which are damamged and in red are destroyed, because even if I assemble a repair crew and give the command, it's never repaired (while on surface of course, but rough sea will maybe avoid repair?).
if you are referring to your Equipment Status screen, when a piece of equipment is highlighted in red, then, yes, it is damaged. it will remain red while it is damaged. certain deck watch equipment cannot be repaired until you surface. the deck guns and flak guns repair also require that you be on the surface and you must station one or more crew at the gun to facilitate repair...especially serious damage.

Quote:
That brings me to this: immediately on the right of the icon there is a vertical progress red bar; I always thought that the fuller the bar is, the more damage the item has, but it must be the contrary, because my deck + AA gun have an empty progress bar. So empty means destroyed, and much red means slightly damaged?
the vertical bar is another indication of damage. if you hover your mouse over the bar, SH4 will display the percentage of damage. 1 means it is destroyed. if you have a Master Engineer or a Quick-Repair guy, there is a slight chance that you may be able to repair the item, given enough time. more than likely, the repair will take more time than you have remaining in your patrol.

Quote:
c) If you don't assemble a repair crew then nothing is ever repaired? Also after awhile the green bar denoting how good in general the repair crew is will plummet to zero although they are not sleeping. That means I should change all the repair crew?
you can repair damage two ways: using the damage crew and manning the section.
all crew has a fatigue factor. you can see it when you click on the individual crewman. 100 to zero...as a percentage of being ready for duty. 100 is where you want it. time on duty diminishes that number until they automatically stop doing whatever they are doing and go to sleep. sleep will occur without you knowing however if you want to actually see it, switch places of two crew in the same section and you will see little z's appear.
the non-damage-crew departments are divided into three sections, which are fairly representative of life at sea: On-duty, maintenance, and sleeping. i believe that the Maintenance Section is your repair team for the equipment in that section. Their repair efforts can be augmented by the Damage Control section if you enable the Damage Control section. There is an icon for Damage Control under the Crew Management icon. While your various watch section automatically rotate duties (watch, maint, sleep), Damage Control will work til they drop and then sleep. the only indication you will get is that the Damage Control icon will go out.
yes, you can change out crewmen in the DC Team but remember that the crew coming out of DC will be tired and you will get no more productivity from them until they rest.
you can also read more at my Crew Fatigue post in the download section.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=5221
good luck and have fun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 10:44 AM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Thanks very much, KaleunMarco, that says it all for sure, it greatly helps me
I now notice when clicking on a crew member, I see 'Maintenance' in his statistics. I guess I should move such members to the damaged compartment when they have a high percentage of Maintenance and not tired. Then, when I even want to speed up repairs, I also also assign a repair crew separately.

This design is a clever system for sure once you understand it

Thanks and cheers,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote