SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-24, 03:17 PM   #61
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0

Duplicate files were caused by my Merchant Visual Mod but reloading MFM Full once again, I still get a CTD even without the Moon Mod installed.

Interesting.

Next is removing all the mods installed and start with MFM Full and see what goes.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 03:49 PM   #62
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Removed all mods and loaded MFM Full to GWX OneAlex without any other mods. Got a CTD right at the end. Works fine with the MFM Lite.

Ran SHValidator and no issues were found with MFM Full. So one of my mods did the duplicate missing .cfg file. This MFM Full no search lights file is pretty big.

So if you can get the two to run without a ctd, all the better.

So I do not think the Moon Mod is the issue.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Last edited by FUBAR295; 01-18-24 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 04:51 PM   #63
kyle9154
Commander

Downloads: 368

I have some folders in my MFM that just have the .sim and the .cfg files because its ships already in the onealex mod that I had to remove search lights from and change/alter some tonnage values, so that the new files overwrite the old. Like I said I have no issues at all running the full version without the moon mod, you seem to have issues playing the full which is why I have a lite version. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the moon mod, just that it adds mod load and letting people know that some may have issues getting both to work.

Its weird your validator picked up ships already in the base Onealex mod (nothing to do with my mod) that I never altered or touched. Why is it picking up ships not in my mod then?

Fubar, sounds like you have a bad install of onealex that got missing files or is corrupt, you need to do a fresh install cause I don't know what you did editing wise but I never touched any of those ships that you had errors with, all the .cfg files are there in my install and folders stated. So if they are indeed missing then id say you messed up your install altering something sometime or overwriting with mods etc.

I just tried full version with only GWX torpedo alarm mod on and loaded up fine in 8 mins during Feb 1943 with IXC in 10th Flotilla https://i.gyazo.com/2658ed25d29dea06...75093be844.png

Try a fresh install of onealex then use full version, I bet you'll load up just fine. You've had your onealex installation on the pc for a long time so maybe other mods got overwritten in the main files of the onealex mod that's causing unnecessary memory load.

Admin for the Onealex Mod Discord - https://discord.gg/bKCdQekE4W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpRvfqFYp0&t

Last edited by kyle9154; 01-18-24 at 05:12 PM.
kyle9154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 05:30 PM   #64
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle9154 View Post
I have some folders in my MFM that just have the .sim and the .cfg files because its ships already in the onealex mod that I had to remove search lights from and change/alter some tonnage values, so that the new files overwrite the old. Like I said I have no issues at all running the full version without the moon mod, you seem to have issues playing the full which is why I have a lite version. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the moon mod, just that it adds mod load and letting people know that some may have issues getting both to work.

Its weird your validator picked up ships already in the base Onealex mod (nothing to do with my mod) that I never altered or touched. Why is it picking up ships not in my mod then?

Fubar, sounds like you have a bad install of onealex that got missing files or is corrupt, you need to do a fresh install cause I don't know what you did editing wise but I never touched any of those ships that you had errors with, all the .cfg files are there in my install and folders stated. So if they are indeed missing then id say you messed up your install altering something sometime or overwriting with mods etc.

I just tried full version with only GWX torpedo alarm mod on and loaded up fine in 8 mins during Feb 1943 with IXC in 10th Flotilla https://i.gyazo.com/2658ed25d29dea06...75093be844.png

Try a fresh install of onealex then use full version, I bet you'll load up just fine. You've had your onealex installation on the pc for a long time so maybe other mods got overwritten in the main files of the onealex mod.

I will try, and do a new install and see. Though I never noticed anything running amiss. Things run fine with the MFM Light , ctd happens with the full installed.

As I said above, it was one of my mods for Merchant Visuals that had caused the issues found by the validator, and yes the mod is tailored for Onealex merchants. Adding your mod seems to have highlighted some things to look at. Even after removing my mod, I still got ctd.

But with everything said, we are digressing into a discussion of MFM I am afraid and not about the Moon Mod.

Let's see what happens with doing things from scratch.

Old 01-18-24, 09:03 PM   #65
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Kyle,

Set up a clean install of GWX Onealex and installed you MFM Full mod without any other mods added. GWX fired up just fine and everything was as it should.

Now, when I went to add additional mods it got cranky and only allowed four or so small mods to be added. Take the mods out and everything runs fine.

My conclusion is that the Moon mod runs fine on GWX Onealex with other mods added, but you would not be able to run your MFM Full mod without causing issues and not be able to run any other modifying files along with it.
On the other hand the Lite version works just fine with all of the additional mods.

That's fine if your satisfied with what is offered in both mods and make no changes. Butttt ... I am not, so the Full version won't work for me.

I am done testing all this out.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 01-19-24, 10:33 AM   #66
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Hi Kyle, Fubar,

Yes! I do know these CTD's very well. Unfortunately they do not always happen. I think that is due to the nature which causes these CTD's.

I had those in the following configuration:
- Clean OneAlex 1.53 install
- Enabled "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53"

No other mods installed/enabled.

I started a new campaign from St.Nazaire in 1943.
It loads all the ship and when you expect the interior uboot will appear it CTDs.

I investigated these issues with the debugger and found that it crashes as there were memory issues. It was trying to manipulate data referred to by a null-pointer which means an illegal memory address.

At the moment of the crash sh3 took 3.5 Gb of memory. So you may think that there is still 500 Mb available. But sh3 dynamically allocates memory when it needs it, for example to create objects like the enviroment etc. Not sure how much. It also does pointer calculation. If the result exceed 4 Gb it will give an illegal address as well or it will overwrite whatever is there.

So where the exact limit is, is very difficult to find. There is also randomness to the game so that explains that in some situation it will crash as it is for example allocates more merory or just start fine when it needs less. This can also happen when you do a reload for example. My feeling is that it is somehow related to a date.

So my view on it is that we are balanced on a edge with the "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53" pack as far as memory goes with this 32-bit application.

When I remove around 20 ships from the "Merchant ship pack 'full' for Onealex 1.53" with the above clean OneAlex 1.53 install everything ran fine again. I also did that with 20 other ships to make sure that it is not caused by a corrupted ship but that was not the case.

The moon mod is certainly not memory intensive. The hard code is very small (11 Kb). The other mods uses some tga but it has nothing to do with above CTD's.

Last edited by rik007; 01-19-24 at 11:08 AM.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-24, 01:04 PM   #67
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Hi Guys, something different... if you enjoy the night surface attack mod you can nominate me for the Sh3 modder of 2023 for the hard work I did to get it to your desktop ....

The instruction how to do it you find here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=247958

Here you can follow the nominations so far .... somebody well known to you has already done so... check it out :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=254339

PS: I'm not allowed to nominate myself
Old 01-19-24, 04:48 PM   #68
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

hey Rik007..
I'm working on 3 install NYGM enhanced Fifi"s
1 the original premiere of Fifi
2 the second NYGM with the weather and the original water with your moon plus volumetric clouds
3 the third NYGM with all of your mods dedicated to NYGM Fifi

I would like to point out that the tests take a very long time to carry out... it takes a long time... there is a lot to observe... to test on the attacks... which I am looking forward to...

But immediately I find that the cloud mass in the upper atmosphere is missing... compared to that of Fifi... the sky is too often too clear... practically cloudless... the water of Fifi is a step up above I think...on the other hand the night moon works wonderfully...the lighting effect is very good
Be careful, I'm not criticizing your work, far from this idea, but that's what I see...
This will be all for now as there is a lot to check yet

I mounted it on Onealex... but as I use Kyle's mod in full merchants.. I am waiting for its correction... there seem to be memory problems... from 1943... according to the report here

Rik007 I find your work magnificent for a first approach.. I am sure the small youthful errors will be corrected... it will be one of the essentials here..!!! thank you we feel your personal touch...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 01-19-24 at 04:58 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 12:20 AM   #69
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Hi Kal,

Thank you very much for your feedback! To be more precise:

I assume you mean the high clouds in clear wheather like in this picture?

Last edited by rik007; 01-20-24 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 08:32 AM   #70
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Default Sky and clouds high atmosphere

Yes, that's exactly it...this correction shouldn't pose too much of a problem...It shouldn't interfere too much with the detection sensors I think...
Old 01-20-24, 03:54 PM   #71
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Hi Kal,

A clear is a clear sky... right?

Actually I was already working on the clouds picture which better fits the "volumic cloud mod". I can include this update to the senin.tga. That will be the last one before I ask Jimbuna to change the status to releasing....

There is no impact from these pictures on the sensor. Just candy.

Rik

Last edited by rik007; 01-20-24 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 04:37 PM   #72
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi Karl,

A clear is a clear sky... right?

Actually I was already working on the clouds picture which better fits the "volumic cloud mod". I can include this update to the senin.tga. That will be the last one before I ask Jimbuna to change the status to releasing....

There is no impact from these pictures on the sensor. Just candy.

Rik
Thanks Rik
Great.. If you want it; you can send me via mediafire in PM I will test immediately and I will give you feedback on the "job"
Old 01-20-24, 04:52 PM   #73
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Hi Kal, you have a PM.
Old 01-20-24, 05:12 PM   #74
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi Kal, you have a PM.
No I didn't receive it..sorry didn't you make a mistake it's strange..!!! because today I received those from the other members here...
Old 01-21-24, 06:33 AM   #75
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

thx Rik