SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-10, 03:15 PM   #14
comet61
Sparky

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 0

Quote:
but the time-intervals taken for the four bearing-lines have to be the same, otherwise this method won't work, I suppose .....
Perhaps. But I haven't seen that much of a deviation. I use the time between the 1BL and 2BL as a basis to set the 3rd & 4th BL. It may not be 100% what was shown in the video, but it still works for me. Usually I have a much higher margin of error if the target is coming toward me somewhat fast. I don't always do it this way. I usually try my very best to follow the guidelines set in the training video as much as possible. However, I believe there are times when time compensation is required. If 20minutes is required for 1bl to 2bl then I use 20 minute intervals for the 3rd and will do the same for the 4th. Once I have all 3 bearing lines drawn and the general direction line made I turn the sub to a close perpendicular course to the target not knowing exactly it's actual position.

Counting the beats of the screws does give me a general idea on speed. Once I have the plot along the 4th BL and have drawn a course of the target via the protractor tool and calculating speed (using the chart I have on the propeller counts) I can be within 3km-5km of the target which gives me plenty of time to calculate AoB and get lined up for a shot. Once I have the target in visual I can calculate distance and speed with a lot more accuracy. Like I said, I am usually 65-75% successful which to me is acceptable. I do miss. Especially if the target is fast moving or the seas are very rough. I have stopped attacking in very rough seas now, except maybe at night.

I like this method of tracking. It is fun. I practiced this method in a Type IIA in Aug of 39 in the North Sea several times to get myself honed in on the practice. It is paying off.
comet61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydrophone, intercept, tutorial, video