SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-08, 06:08 PM   #1
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Question

I was experimenting with SCX. I made a mission where I was going to Intercept a rogue French Rubis and SSBN and send them to Davy Jones' locker. I use autocrew well because that is there job. I get within 8000 yards and fire 2 ADCAPS. The fish swim in the opposite direction, I fire 2 more, same thing. The TMA was fine, so I do not get this. I have sank many enemy subs with this game both with and without autocrew, so I know what I am doing, but I have never had my fish do this. Anyone got an Idea or is this a problem with the SCX mod?
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 12:04 AM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I don't think there's a problem with the mod because I use it and have never had any torpedo problems. Your TMA was probably off or you selected the wrong target by accident. Did you have Show Truth enabled ? If that was the case, and your TMA was wrong, it would show the target in it's real location rather than where your TMA shows it to be. Try doing the same with Show Truth turned off. Look where you think the target is, and then turn on Show Truth. If the target is moved to a totally different location, your TMA is off.

If you're relying on the towed array, it does make an echo signal appear on the opposite side that it sees the signal and you have to determine which is the real signal. Perhaps you were targeting the wrong signal ?
Old 06-14-08, 12:14 PM   #3
Frame57
Sea Lord

I used the show truth and quick launch when this happened. The TMA was accurate. I checked the rules of engagement and I did not have wartime selected, I do not know if that matters or not but I will run the scenario again just to see.
Old 06-15-08, 10:11 AM   #4
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default I don't know why.

This happens and it seems prevalent when you have show truth on and just click on the Target to fire. You can take wire control of your fish and steer it. Why, I don't have a clue. I have even let the fish run and got hit myself.
I seldom use show truth, unless I am developing a mission and checking if I am getting what I want.
This is not much help but it appears to be some quirk in the AI, I have seen I it with Harpoons also.

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 12:27 PM   #5
Frame57
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sailor
This happens and it seems prevalent when you have show truth on and just click on the Target to fire. You can take wire control of your fish and steer it. Why, I don't have a clue. I have even let the fish run and got hit myself.
I seldom use show truth, unless I am developing a mission and checking if I am getting what I want.
This is not much help but it appears to be some quirk in the AI, I have seen I it with Harpoons also.

You are right about that Ron. I had show truth on when this occurred. I have the same problem using SUBROCS as well. I asked out TMC once about ADCAPS and it's effectiveness against countermeasures and he told me that the ADCAP cannot be fooled by them, that if your solution is right, they are dead. Do not know if he was right but it sure made me feel good if we ever needed to use them.
Old 06-15-08, 03:04 PM   #6
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sailor

Ahh.. that probably explains why I've never seen this issue. I usually never play with Show Truth on and I never click on a map target to fire. I always do everything from the Weapons stations.
Old 06-15-08, 04:35 PM   #7
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Show truth seems to be the culprit.

I have clicked to the navmap, with out show truth, and it worked.
I tend to disagree, I believe, counter measure work providing there is adequate time. I know I have launched CMs and saved my a... But, only if you launch when they are still out there. I have came to the conclusion that the deeper you or your targets are in detection cone of the fish the greater chance you will be hit. Also controlled fish are harder to fool, air dropped and most launched by surface craft are more easily fooled.
ASROC fish, if the solution is good will probably get you because when they hit the water they can be almost on top of you.
I do believe that in SCXIIc the ADCAP are more aggressive and less easily fooled than any other fish. I won't venture a comment on DW with LWAMI as I play SCIIc usually. Also I play US Subs 90% of the time and generally 688i. So you know, I am not a big fan of DW. LWAMI darn sure improved it but I prefer SCXIIc. Before anyone starts with dumb-it is called personal choice and further notice I did not bad mouth DW

Have a good one,

Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 08:05 PM   #8
Frame57
Sea Lord

I have DW, but for whatever reason I seem to enjoy this game moreso, heck I am going to see what upgraded there might be for 688i. I still play that game usually when I travel though. I like to piss of the old man who debriefs you. He told me once that I must be dating the CNO's daughter in order to still be a sub Skipper. What a riot. I like that game because your crew can become more and more experienced and efficient. I never use the fire control idiot in SC, the $@#$%^ never gets the presets right at all. So I am glad too. But as far as making contacts and classifying them, that is what I want the crew to do. That is real ! Hell, I know I was there!
Old 06-15-08, 09:48 PM   #9
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Yeah. There are quite a lot of people who prefer Sub Command with SCX IIc in it to Dangerous Waters. The next LWAMI mod is going to have the entire Sub Command SCX database (ships/weapons, etc..). Everything except the driveables. Sonalysts said that we can create any addons, edit doctrine, edit the database, etc... but they won't let us be allowed to add new driveable units to add in like what was done with Sub Command. The reason for this I don't know, but I do know that my hands are full already trying to learn the non-sub units in DW anyway.

There are no upgrades/addons for 688i aside from the official patch from Sonalysts. You won't need to patch it at all if you got the version from their Naval Combat Pack. I'm going to soon getting the many missions that the subsimmers and others from the past put out for it now from someone. With any luck, we'll get these up on Filefront or another file hosting service for everyone. I used to have TONS of missions for 688i but I don't know where they floated off to.