SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-08, 12:39 PM   #1
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
A word of thanks

A hearty thanks to all of you here. Skippers, Moderators, all the folks at this site and the guru site. You do an amazing job! I have the SCX mod installed and figured it out and it is great and makes the game so much more enjoyable. The game is so fun, that my nephew who is a game junky is playing this as well. He called the game "an old timers game" (Ha!) Once he saw the depth to it, he got hooked and is even thinking about joining the navy now (YES!). He wants to be on a boat like his uncle was on. But I think all of the 637 boats are history now. But I told him that the new boats will be fine and that he wont spend all of his liberty time fixing hydraulic leaks like i did. So thanks guys, you are keeping a retired submariner happy and may have recruited a new one all because of a game.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:59 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

The next step is to get yourself good and aquainted with the mission editor and then building missions and uploading them to give back to the community. I imagine you being an ex-submariner, you could probably come up with some pretty realistic mission setups !
(Something I've just started working on for Dangerous Waters)

Then beyond that, maybe learn how to do some database editing and do some modding. (Something I plan for the future)

I'm working more with Dangerous Waters but I still play quite a bit with Sub Command when I'm in the mood.
Old 06-15-08, 08:29 PM   #3
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

I do make my own missions now and have come up with some fun ones. Yes, i have to get more skilled in how to operate these wonderful computers. I hate to admit this but I actually needed the geek squad once. Pretty much during the Cold war era, most of our runs were hiding off of Murmansk and wait for something interesting to head out to sea. We of course would track and generate sound profiles on them. We would play watchdog for NR-1 on occaision. But the most fun was wire tapping Soviet underwater telephone lines. Another common mission in those day was called "under-hull surveys". That means you get close and I mean real close and take photo's of their screws and hull using the #2 scope. That is when the CO calls for "Rig ship for ultra quiet". When you heard that if you were not on watch, you go to your bunk, no flushing the water closets either.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote