SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-14, 04:47 PM   #316
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I just drove the Cobra at the Nordschleife, no TC and ABS. What a hellride! I swear this was the first time I ever felt thtat the Green hell was wanting to kill me!

The car is a challenge, but extreme fun - more unpredictable than the F40 without TC and ABS. But fun!
Old 07-16-14, 10:00 AM   #317
Skybird
Soaring

Good news for MP lovers: Kunos Simulazioni twittered today that they now have new MP code that runs "so much smoother" than what the sim already uses right now.
Old 07-16-14, 11:25 AM   #318
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Is it just me or have the physics been altered? I haven't really played much since April.

Maybe I just need time to get back into it after quite a long break.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 02:16 PM   #319
Skybird
Soaring

They have.

Especially 0.15 early June brought changes, but physics, like AI, get constantly finetuned. The full physics engine I think is not even fully implemented so far, especially regarding tires I think there is more to come.
Old 07-18-14, 04:33 PM   #320
Skybird
Soaring

Update v0.21.2 has rolled out today, plus two hotfixes already.

There is the Lotus 98T 800hp turbo-charged raw brutal power speed beast. It is already a challenge to keep that monster on the track, not to mention driving it competitively. The AI so far is unable tzo handle it - two of three cars burn their turbos alreeady in seocnd lap in Monza (the beast has adjustable turbo pressure)

In parts new graphics features already shine, most visibly the improvement of contrast issues in HDR.

There is new MP stuff and options to join without the very much unloved booking system.

Next update is scheduled for August 29th. They also said that Spa-Francorchamps is as good as finished, and that release of v1.0 is in realistic range. They also announced to reveal more license surprise, and that their teams has grown by hired staff, since the EA program showed to be an incredible success.

Quote:
Dear AC followers,

we are glad to introduce you to the0.21 release of Assetto Corsa on Steam Early Access. This version introduces some heavy upgrades and new features that represent a step ahead going to the 1.0 release.

New content: Classic Team Lotus Type 98T
Finally this awesome car is available in the Assetto Corsa's garage: the legendary single seater with which Ayrton Senna has wrote some of the most beatiful pages in the motorsport history is waiting for you: equipped with a small 1.5litres engine that represents the peak of the legendary turbo era, producing over 800bhp at race boost of around 3.5bar and more than 1200bhp at qualifying trim and over 5bar turbo boost! The downforce generated by the big wings and massive diffuser is even more than what modern F1 cars are capable of. Nevertheless, the extreme pitch sensitivity, stalling issues of the diffuser and unbelievably exponential power delivery of the twin turbo's, will challenge your skills not only to try and go fast with this car, but to actually keep it on track! Just a single lap will make you understand why there was just one man on the planet, capable of driving this monster close to its limits and on to pole position!

New Multiplayer
We have worked very hard to improve the multiplayer routines: we have recognized that some of the limits of the previous netcode didn't allow gamers to get the maximum satisfaction, in particular when some gamers was performing high ping values. We are glad to announce that the netcode of the new version doesn't represent an improvement of the previous one, but it has been rewrote from scratch. The results of our private betatesting gave us an excellent feedback, and we are confident you will get a very improved multiplayer experience. Please notice that this new version, Assetto Corsa requires increased server bandwidth. Professional dedicated servers shouldn't have any problems at all, but users that wish to host session on their local home connection, should start with a very low client number and slowly raise the number until they find the limits of their connection.
The following bandwidth requirements are a conservative guideline, your results may vary:

Clients = Kilobytes /sec upstream

5 = 23KB/s
8 = 66KB/s
10 = 106KB/s
15 = 247KB/s
20 = 448KB/s25 = 708KB/s
30 = 1026KB/s

New Multiplayer features

New multiplayer mode without booking request. The number of servers and users wishing to easily join pickup servers has caught us by surprise. We never immagined such a big success of casual multiplayer sessions with Assetto Corsa. As such, it was evident that the actual booking system, specifically thought for leagues and organized racing, was not doing a good job. We’re introducing a new “pickup” multiplayer mode without booking sessions.
The new “pickup” system, permits a server to be configured without booking sessions. An entry list must be configured properly, with only the cars that will be present in the server.
Clients can filter from the UI and search just for non booking servers. Then simply select a car and join the server at whatever session (practice, qualifying or race), at any time as many times as they wish.
At the current state the “pickup” system does not permit a specific skin selection from the client and we’re pretty sure that needs more testing in order to iron out possible bugs. Please help us by pointing out bugs at our official support forums. We are looking to have multiple hotfixes during the following week, in order to deliver a stable version for August vacations.

AI
Working on the Lotus Type 98T, we have had also the chance to analyze some issues related to the stability of some of the most performing cars that feature a active aero system: the Lotus Type 98T produces very high drag and downforce values, that change costantly and dynamically with pitch, speed and throttle position. All of that, together with the incredible power and speed that this car is capable of, resulted in multiple critical situations for our AI. The new AI improvements, not only manages to mantain the Lotus 98T on track, but also improve the AI behaviour of the other cars. More improvements are on the way, following optimizations of the new code.

Graphics engine
As anticipated some weeks ago, this build performs some new graphics libraries: you will notice some improved post-processing effects, including DOF (depth of field), bloom, tone mapping, FXAA and more. There are some additional features included in the graphics option menu that will allow users to choose different scenarios. This version does not include most of the effects that will be included in future and that will represent a huge step ahead: before to introduce other features, we want to be sure about stability and performance of this upgrade.

Next updates
As always, we'll monitor all the forum activities in order to find and resolve eventual issues and bugsthat might show up, due to the numerous new features included in this update. We will provide if needed, multiple hotfixes and feature updates in the following days. The next main build is expected to be released on Friday, 29th of August
General news
The implementation of FMOD is going well: as soon as we will be able to provide a comparison video between the current version and the new build featuring FMOD, we'll show you the benefits of this upgrade: this step represents a huge challenge, because it requires a total conversion of old samples and the creation of new ones. Also, new effects will be included in order to create an immersive sound environment that can guarantee an immersive experience. We believe that the final result is well worth the investment requested.

The modeling of Spa-Francorchamps has been almost completed: as you might know, this track will be included in the 1.0 version of Assetto Corsa (and this might suggest you that 1.0 version isn't too far). During this summer we will release some videos and pictures that will give you an idea of what to expect from this awesome and legendary circuit.

Considering the time involved to schedule and manage the production of new contents, we are working in advance to provide you tons of new contents even after 1.0 release, with new car brands licensed and models to be unveiled soon. We recognize that trying to stay focused on the development of the main build and on some new activities, we haven't shared enough work in progress pics and videos for a while: don't worry, we'll surprise you again. Stay tuned on www.facebook.com/Assetto.corsa to discover all the incoming news!

The Early Access program has been very successful, exceeding our expectations, and it's about to end. Thanks to this results, KUNOS Simulazioni has welcomed some additional programmers and graphics modellers that are already involved in current and future productions, thanks to their experience matured working on AAA games. We are grateful of the amazing response of the community towards Assetto Corsa and we try our best to give you the best racing game we are able to make. Thank you very much for your incredible support: see you on track!

CHANGELOG

- Multiplayer Improvements : New server version available
- Multiplayer Gameplay improvements
- New Post Processing Effects engine implemented
- Implemented booking-less server joining
- Physical Dynamic track implemented
- Shader fixes and improvements
- Time Attack fixed start with too much time
- Fixed AI starting at the same time in qualify
- AI improvements, better gas control and understeer detection
- New Car : Lotus 98T
- lotus elise sc, exige 240R, scura, exige s roadster speedometers corrections
- changes in speedometers visualization depending on UI options and car design
- Tyre damping modifications for all cars
- Ideal Line improvements
- Improved Python Apps error handling on loading
- Dynamic wing controller now use setup value as initial angle value.
- Localization fixes
- Time Difference displayer improved
- Fixed camera triple screen & driver names
- Fixes in Replay for cars with animated suspensions
- Fixed "You have been sent to pits" issue
- GUI forms default position not overlapping with system messages anymore & GUI Improvements
- Showroom updated with the latest graphic engine improvements
- ksEditor updated with the latest graphic engine improvements
- Per-Car New setup option to customize Force Feedback
- Disabled AI in multiplayer events
- Replay size reduced by half
- Fixed crew placement in multiplayer events
- Virtual mirror remembers its last state & virtual mirror improvements on triple screen cfg
- Fixed mirror rendering bug
- Adjustable brake balance while driving, for cars that support the feature
- Adjustable brake balance in the physics brakes.ini file
- Brake balance working with all the control configurations
- Fixed wrong time reported after Booking

- Lotus 98T ride height adjustments added
- Launcher default theme: adjustments to car listing of non-booking servers

- Adjusted Traction Control assist on Lotus 98T
- Added app "post process filter" to switch between different Post Processing effects combinations
- Adjusted Lotus Evora S side windows
Regarding modded tracks, some beautiful stuff has been released so far. I recommended some tracks already on the last page (some of which got updates since then, so check them out again), and I add these to the list, to my best knowledge they are confirmed to have been done as legal conversions or developement from scratch.

- Blackwood
- Brands Hatch International + Indy (a new project, do not mistake with the illegal first port, these are much better anyway)
- Longford '67
- GP200
- Gentrack 1 (one of my favourites)
- Tsukuba
- Virginia (Paul Newman's most favourite track, very nicely done)
- Fuji Speedway
- Road America (also a new project, much better than the illegal fast rip0 that emerged some weeks ago)

Zaandvort looks promising, but still is under development (I already drove it).

Several very interesting portation projects from RBR have gotten permission by their authors, and are under way.

AC currently is probably the most mod activity-attracting racing sim on the market. Some of the most favoured mod projects from the very active rF community have been announced to have gotten green lights for being ported to AC as well. In two cases, the whole rF mod group turned to the new flag.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-18-14 at 04:46 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 10:33 AM   #321
Skybird
Soaring

I just compared the Lotus 98T with different turbo charger settings.

It's a beast already with turbo at 50-60%, which would be maximum for racing endurance, resulting in around 800 hp.

But at 100%, which would be done for qualifying, before the engine is eaten up, you get around 1300 hp. INSANE! The thing flashes through the air like a Blitz while rocking like a bronco on hot coals. The steering wheel ran amok, I swear it tried to slay me.

Insane. I mean it!
Old 07-19-14, 11:28 AM   #322
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Insane indeed! Huge respect to the drivers of that era.

A rocket on wheels with 100% boost pressure.
Old 07-19-14, 12:26 PM   #323
Skybird
Soaring

More testing, and the more I test it, the more I like this package.

The general graphics engine is in the process of being changed, part of that is the new settings and effects. No longer are the contrasts in HDR so huge that in some instances world details whites-out, in other blacks-out, especially inside car. Also, the DOF effects (deoth of field), which looked very much like dull blurr effects, now can be left switched off with HDR still on. All in all it makes for a much better visual appearance. Namely the vegetation now has more juicy, crispy, darker appearances.

the other detail i would mention here, is a real biggy-big fun-bringer. The track condition. You now can choose in what state the track should be, from perfctly clean, offering the maximum of grip from beginning on, to very dusty, and racing lines cleaning only slowly. I learned to love the dusty tracks. It is much more difficult to drive, and traction looses a felt 50% or so , and you should not expect to race the same timers like in good or perfect track conditions - but wowh, how much fun it is! Even with TC on, cars swing and sway, braking distances make you jubilee when you made it just at the last meter, and you can almost dance on the track like a figure skater on ice. Wonderful!

I thought it was about completing feature lists only, and that was somehow a sterile task after some months. But the sim still gets better and better in quality and dynamics, it is incredible. The AI has been a step backwards recently, but that cannot kill the joy to just sit on your horse, and ride...!

This has become by now one of the very best PC simulation games I ever had the pleasure to deal with in the past 30 years. I rank it on my personal alltime favourites list alongside classics like Falcon 4, Steal Beasts Pro, or Skyrim.

This evening I will do the Nordschleife with dusty track conditions, in the Shelby Cobra and then the F40. I expect my grin will split my face wide from left to right.
Old 07-19-14, 03:59 PM   #324
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

I was >< that close to getting Gold on "Quick One".. 52.180, Gold is 52s.

The new "apps" or whatever they're called are quite nice, I used the "Wings" app to see the downforce in numbers.

I lowered the car a bit more and it gave a tiny bit more downforce. I did a constant speed comparison at 200kph to compare difference in ride height.
Old 07-19-14, 11:17 PM   #325
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I went and nabbed Longford '67, Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans), and the Shelby Cobra. And Skybird you're right about the Cobra, it'll bite you if something goes wrong! Now all we need is a Mini Copper S for Longford '67 .
Old 07-20-14, 05:14 AM   #326
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, some of those addon tracks are really nice, both regarding visuals and feel. Of those I listed, none really is a weak thing, and some are very shining.

Of those projects under developement, I also put high hopes into Montreal, and Magny Courts, but some RBR conversions seem to be underway, too, I mean those addon tracks for RBR. And of course those Kunos tracks still not released. I assume they hold back content by now, to have a little firework package at their hands to celebrate the release of 1.0. With some luck, maybe we are done in early autumn. I think the longer part of the Early Access program already is behind us.
Old 07-20-14, 03:02 PM   #327
Skybird
Soaring

Somebody has started to do the Transfagarasan from scratch!
Old 07-26-14, 12:10 PM   #328
Skybird
Soaring

Of the new tracks that have been release din past days and are eithe röregalö con versions or were done from scratch, I recommend to try out

- Salzburgring
- Magny Cours
- Yas Marina Circuit,

with the Austrian facilities looking extremely sweet and driving wonderfully, and Magny Cours, although maybe seeing more updates, already in first release has left many other finished tracks behind it. Yas Marina reminds me of that utopic city track in NFS4, how was it called - Aquatica City, or something like that.

Several more pirated contents have been released as well, too, unfortunately. Damn thieves. I do not list them of course. Where you ever read me mentioning an item that got stolen or done illegally, you can safely assume that I mentioned it without knowing its history. In that case correct me, please.

I hate thieves.

A new from-scratch version of Donington is being done, screenshots I saw looked extremely good. Several of the tracks I listed above and before, meanwhile got updates as well, so recheck for these. The Donington we already have, is fully competitive a track and great challenge already, but the new projects adds the looks to it.
Old 07-30-14, 06:13 PM   #329
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Here's some new screens from my runs around Snoopy's Nordschleife and the Shelby at Longford.

I'd also recommend Nordschleife '75 which came out on Monday, perfect track for the Lotus 98T!
Old 08-05-14, 05:57 AM   #330
Skybird
Soaring

Let me direct your attention to two new track releases that previously were only available as illegal and quick conversions by some stealing morons who both even said thy do not care for pirating stuff.

First new track is the now authorized converiso of "Algarve", which really rides like a rollercoaster due to the steep climbs and dives.

The second is the new and also full authorized conversion of "Suzuka" named Suzuka 0.9, and this one is one of the best tracks out there so far, a real beauty wo loook at, and driving extremely well. It also is another one of my five most wanted tracks. I can only recommend to get this one, its so much fun.

And the Transfagarasan, not only is somebody doing it from scratch, another guy also has almost cpompletred the rF1 version of it, an authorized port it is. It seems both tracks are different parts of the route, the Nothern and the Southern routes, as they call it, so sooner or later the whole track will be available in all completeness.

I have gone deep into the new physics that had seen several changes over the past releases, and I like it very much, also the different track conditions you can now choose from are a very worthy addon to the sim. Some really first-class looking car mods already are out as well, some Nissan, a Corvette, and the already known Spider anyway.

Actual version is 0.21.13

AC rules !

Last edited by Skybird; 08-05-14 at 12:33 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote