SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-15, 07:33 PM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default Periscope view window too large...

After viewing some actual scope views, I came to realize the round view window for the scope is a bit too large...is there a way to make the circular view thru the scope a little smaller? I vaguely remember seeing a post on the issue years ago, but cannot remember the title or name of person who posted it. In the view I have, the bottom of the round view window goes below the bottom edge of the screen....
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 08:21 PM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

With Maxoptics or OTC mods you have great scope views. Do you use those mods?

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 12:49 AM   #3
Flaskegaard
Medic

I checked several OTC mods, but they made the images in the scope view closer...I'm trying to make the circle itself, that represents the scope view screen, smaller...I remember someone in another post saying it had something to do with adjusting the scope screen pixels to what size of scope screen hole you wanted, then adjusting the view distance in the CAMERA.dat to match your scope screen size. I've been checking out several files in the Menu/Gui/Layout and Library folders using S3D, but so far I haven't been able to find what I'm trying to do...

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 07-01-15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-01-15, 07:04 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm sorry I can't help with the adjustments, but I do wish to respectfully disagree. How large is "too large"? When your eye is pressed to the lens of a periscope, telescope or binocular, the lens fills your entire field of vision. You can't see anything else. Arguably it should fill the whole screen.
Old 07-01-15, 07:23 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Flaskegaard, are you sure you really want a smaller periscope view port?

I've looked through a true periscope at the "Submarine Force Museum" in Groton Conn. and found the eyepiece lens to be close to the eye......leaving little side view, if any. It's my opinion the lens needed to be made larger than stock, filling up more of the screen. I considered the stock view was like looking out a port hole window while standing in the center of the room. Too much viewable area around the lens. I know there are mods that made this view even more "modded" when they added back room elements to the image.....but they don't address the reality issue that you shouldn't see much of anything around the outside portion of the lens.

Besides the stock periscope peripheral view looking "cartoonish", it doesn't come close to providing the necessary scaling to give you an accurate measurement. The actual view within the stock scope is not giving you the true perspective that you would have if looking through a true periscope. In other words, the stock view is not measured to give you a true 32 degree wide view (as in real life American periscopes). Depending on your screen resolution the stock game gives you either a 36 degree view, or a 38 degree view. Either way, the game puts the objects you see within the periscope "farther away" than what they should be. In the stock game, the Telemeter Divisions (the hash marks on the lens) count to 32 from top to bottom......but they are far from being usable to measure anything if the outside view is scaled for either a 36 degree width or a 38!

The only mod to correct the stock game periscope inaccuracy is Optical Targeting Correction. You can read more in the first thread further down the post about why OTC was made, and what it corrects.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 10:24 AM   #6
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Flaskegaard, are you sure you really want a smaller periscope view port?

I've looked through a true periscope at the "Submarine Force Museum" in Groton Conn. and found the eyepiece lens to be close to the eye......leaving little side view, if any. It's my opinion the lens needed to be made larger than stock, filling up more of the screen. I considered the stock view was like looking out a port hole window while standing in the center of the room. Too much viewable area around the lens. I know there are mods that made this view even more "modded" when they added back room elements to the image.....but they don't address the reality issue that you shouldn't see much of anything around the outside portion of the lens.

Besides the stock periscope peripheral view looking "cartoonish", it doesn't come close to providing the necessary scaling to give you an accurate measurement. The actual view within the stock scope is not giving you the true perspective that you would have if looking through a true periscope. In other words, the stock view is not measured to give you a true 32 degree wide view (as in real life American periscopes). Depending on your screen resolution the stock game gives you either a 36 degree view, or a 38 degree view. Either way, the game puts the objects you see within the periscope "farther away" than what they should be. In the stock game, the Telemeter Divisions (the hash marks on the lens) count to 32 from top to bottom......but they are far from being usable to measure anything if the outside view is scaled for either a 36 degree width or a 38!

The only mod to correct the stock game periscope inaccuracy is Optical Targeting Correction. You can read more in the first thread further down the post about why OTC was made, and what it corrects.
This is all the true.

Flaskegaard: You have OTC for stock/GFO, with and without RSRDC, and TMO RSRDC. The best option for accurate scopes.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 07-01-15, 03:13 PM   #7
Flaskegaard
Medic

Ok, that's what I thought...I was trying to make it a bit more like the periscope screen in SH2, where you could see the rest of the conning tower stations in the background...I'll just add the OTC mod. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 07-01-15 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 04:16 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaskegaard View Post
Ok, that's what I thought...I was trying to make it a bit more like the periscope screen in SH2, where you could see the rest of the conning tower stations in the background...I'll just add the OTC mod. Thanks for the input.
For that, you can use this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=file&id=1

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo