SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-07, 01:45 PM   #181
Redwine
Sea Lord

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mraah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwine
I think so not... almost in SH III, the surface curvature was adjusted from some file i cant remember now, may be scene files...
Ok, cool.

We'll have to nickname you Columbus II for rediscovering the world is round !!!

Was not Columbus... :p it was Eratostenes (284 B.C. - 192 B.C.), he stablished the earth circunference with 90km error only.
Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 02:46 PM   #182
Mraah
Engineer

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think so not... almost in SH III, the surface curvature was adjusted from some file i cant remember now, may be scene files...
Ok, cool.

We'll have to nickname you Columbus II for rediscovering the world is round !!!

Was not Columbus... :p it was Eratostenes (284 B.C. - 192 B.C.), he stablished the earth circunference with 90km error only.
Goes to show what I know !!

By the way, I found the SS radar (and the ST)

SS = An X Band (3cm) surface search radar installed on a few boats at war's end.

ST = A microwave surface search radar with it's antenna in the periscope. It used the SJ installation to give range, but the bearing information was a function of the periscope's pointing.

my previou post link ;
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=175
Mraah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 02:54 PM   #183
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
By the way, I found the SS radar (and the ST)

SS = An X Band (3cm) surface search radar installed on a few boats at war's end.

SS is a surface radar then...

Quote:
ST = A microwave surface search radar with it's antenna in the periscope. It used the SJ installation to give range, but the bearing information was a function of the periscope's pointing.

That was... ! we have a "periscope Radar" entry into the file too !

May be you can fix the names info onto the tweak file for them ?
In example instead SV ???

SV air search
SS surface search
Periscope Radar Directional for range only
Old 04-23-07, 03:03 PM   #184
Mraah
Engineer

Quote:
That was... ! we have a "periscope Radar" entry into the file too !

May be you can fix the names info onto the tweak file for them ?
In example instead SV ???

SV air search
SS surface search
Periscope Radar Directional for range only
I changed mine. You can change your's too.
Open the Sensors_sub_US.txt file with NOTEPAD and scroll down to the DropDownName and change the name, save it.
Old 04-23-07, 03:38 PM   #185
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
I changed mine. You can change your's too.
Open the Sensors_sub_US.txt file with NOTEPAD and scroll down to the DropDownName and change the name, save it.
Thats all ? going to do ... Many Thanks !

Edit :

I change for this :

periscop_radar Directional Rangefinder
NSS_SS Advanced Air Search
NSS_SV Advanced Surface Search
Old 04-24-07, 12:00 AM   #186
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

it would seem that there is a lot of missing cool stuff in sh4, such as periscope radar, stuff like that would really make sh4 stand out, i hope they implement it, unfortunatly all I can do is hope
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 10:55 AM   #187
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

So I'm confused - do we have a mod for the radar that works? Or not? If we do, which one is it?

If we have one that has issues but which works better than the stock SH4 one I'll happily settle for that.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 11:02 AM   #188
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

HAHA! I have also thought about asking "which one actually works" here :p...to shy to ask but...
Old 05-11-07, 11:08 AM   #189
jhelix70
Sparky

I'm temporarily satisfied by the solution used in Ducimus's FTT mod. Disable SD, make SJ detect both aircraft and ships, and make SJ available at the start of the war.
jhelix70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 02:27 PM   #190
Popov57
Swabbie

Hallo,
I was very satisfied as well with this solution. Now with the exceptance of a GATO class boat my radar is gone. It is noted in the equipment list, however the pushbuttons are black. No radar anymore! What now? Help! Please!!!
Popov57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 03:02 PM   #191
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Yup since you don't have a proper SD radar display I guess the next best thing is to be able to see both ships and aircraft in the SJ display. I noticed it was like that when I first saw a "blip" closing in at huge speed first thing I thought was, admitingly, "BUG! RUSHING SHIPS!" but then I realized that FTT had done that.
Old 05-11-07, 03:42 PM   #192
Popov57
Swabbie

Thanks Hitman but my problem is, that the equipment list tells me, there is functional
radar on board. However, nothing is working. All displays and switches are dead. But seems to me, there is a basic problem. Starting a new carrier for test purposes, same result. Looks to me, that the change from Sargo class to Gato did some basic change within the files.
I will deactivate all mods, check the result and if that works fine " mod it up" again. Who says, lonely evenings are boring???
Popov57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 04:01 PM   #193
jhelix70
Sparky

I'm in a porpoise class right now and the SJ radar is working fine...maybe yours is a special case because of other mods that have been installed.
jhelix70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 10:01 PM   #194
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Yup since you don't have a proper SD radar display I guess the next best thing is to be able to see both ships and aircraft in the SJ display. I noticed it was like that when I first saw a "blip" closing in at huge speed first thing I thought was, admitingly, "BUG! RUSHING SHIPS!" but then I realized that FTT had done that.
You have been able to see air contacts on the SJ displays (both of them) all along. Easy to see in the training mission.
Old 05-11-07, 10:47 PM   #195
Mraah
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
So I'm confused - do we have a mod for the radar that works? Or not? If we do, which one is it?

If we have one that has issues but which works better than the stock SH4 one I'll happily settle for that.

Regarding the original problem of no contacts when the sub is heading on a southern course is solved ... Ducimus FTT, minelevation=0,maxelevation=360.

Regarding the next problem... SD not detecting aircraft, no current mod to fix. We're stuck with either having the SD detect everything (v1.1) or nothing at all (v1.2). Ducimus turned his SD off to prevent spamming.

I've been doing some extensive study on how to make it work, where it detects aircraft only ... no luck.

My results ...

1. MinHeight variable - apparently this value is being read the same as MinSensorHeight, ie... values above 9 minheight exceed the height of the sensor above the surface of the ocean, no contacts above 9. Even if we put an SD radar 200 meters above the ocean it won't matter, it still detect's everything.
2. MaxHeight variable - same as maxsensorheight, values below 6 work only if the sub submerges slightly. However, maxheight does work at detecting a/c if set above 100, but, you detect everything again. Between 0-80, ships only.
3. Surface variable - It's possible to "tone down" the contacts by applying an off the wall value of 4500+ , however, everthing is effected. I've tried to find hints in some files to possible fool the program into thinking a zero has a surface area of 4500 but to no avail, it's all in the polygons (my guess), One would have to build a zeke the size of an aircraft carrier to detect it at long range without detecting other ships.
4. Min/Maxelevation - still affects the boats compass heading. As a matter of fact, I tested it so much I was able to flip the original problem and have the boat lose contact's when heading north! I still don't know what the dev's had in mind for this data.

Conclusion ....

The SH4 (SH3?) world is truely 2D. You detect everything, or nothing at all, regardless of altitude. Ducimus attempted the "metox" idea with no luck. In SH3 we either detected radar signals or had a visual sighting on the aircraft. Hopefully the developers are slowly going to introduce an SD that detects aircraft only ... but who knows, we can only cross our fingers. At any rate, appears having an SD to detect aircraft only is, at the moment, beyond tweaking.

Rob