Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-22, 06:19 PM   #1
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Default Here we go again!

Alright, I bought the game in 2010 and had issues with it, so I kept playing SH3. I've recently gotten the itch to play SH3 again, but figured I should probably give SH5 a go before I get too familiar with SH3. I did consider Uboat, which I also own, but it's a bit unfinished and the diving physics just didn't sit well with me and I get hung up on that stuff. SH5 still looks crazy good for such an old game, and I want to love it this time around. I really, really want to!

I do have a couple of questions, though, as getting into these old, fragile games can be a daunting task. At this point I'd settle for the most lightweight mod that fixes primarily the bugs. The only mod I know of is The Wolves of Steel but there are surely more, right? Are there anyone who can point me in the right direction? A mod, a step by step guide to get rid of the bugs, what? Or should I just download The Wolves of Steel and be done with it?

Anyway, I do have ADHD and I honestly get distracted and overwhelmed just trying to start investigating what the alternatives are so I'm honestly not just being lazy here.

Thanks.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 10:32 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

For me, TWoS is simple, and the easiest, though it does change the games behavior a bit. But it is easy enough to alter a few things after the mod installation to "personalize" things a bit more for you - and it gets rid of most of the inherent bugs. There are good instructions in the release thread, and a downloadable pdf for a bit more detail. If you have a Steam game, be sure and follow the Steam instructions. If you have a UConnect game, follow THEBERBSTER's advice in Uplay Download Version Fix... (UPlay is now UConnect) - in fact, that whole SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT <... thread is full of useful info for us incompetent or for the fully qualified kaleuns, all linked to on the first page of the thread...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 04:52 AM   #3
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

Thanks for reply. Do you by any chance know how to fix the navigation back to "classic style" after installing Wolves of Steel? I couldn't even find the plot course button and then I realized the mod removed it... the audacity!

EDIT: I have not enabled Real Navigation in the mod enabler, but I still can't find the "Plot Course" button.
EDIT2: I figured it out!

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 02-21-22 at 08:06 AM.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote