SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-23, 08:28 AM   #1
Nico341256
Nub

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 on 4k Monitor

Greetings fellow captains

Im playing this game for more than 10 years now and since 2020 on an 4k monitor. Im using the ARB Widescreen mod so the game runs in 16:9 and basically everythink works fine. However im slightly annoyed by the fact that the game "switches" the resolution there which also resizes every other window on my second monitor, which also makes ALT-TAB uncomfortable to use since every window gets then resized back to 4k.

My general question is if there is some trick to have the game run in actual 3860x2160 rather than 1920x1080 or like just upscaled/streched.

I tried that Borderless Gaming Method to run the game in borderless window which works in theory, however the game itself fills just 1/4 of my monitor since itself runs at FHD.

Im up for any thoughts and ideas.

Nico

PS: If im in the wrong section or topic, feel free to move or remove this post. Its my first post so im sorry if I went wrong somewhere.
Nico341256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 11:36 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Welcome to SubSim Nico341256!

I also have a 4k monitor, a 32" behemoth (for me anyway), and run SH3, SH4 & SH5. With SH3, the widescreen applet I'm using is set at 1920x1080. My desktop is set to 125% to make the icons big enough for me to read them. What I have done in my set-up is created a desktop short-cut to start my SH3, but I don't start the game until after I have minimized or closed all Windows. Once the game is loaded and I am either into the Single Mission, or out on patrol in my career, I will then pause the game, and use the Windows key to get to my desktop and go from there. Minimize your desktop windows again before going back into the game. That's probably what you do already anyway, but that is about all you can do. With that "methodology", your windows usually will not re-size when you close SH3. I have to set my SH3.exe "Properties" on the "Change high DPI settings" button's window in the top section to use "Program DPI" and set it to "I open this program" in the drop-down. My SH4 and 5 are set to run at 2560x1440 because I cannot read the dials and text at 4k, and have the same basic issue with the regular Windows desktop windows re-sizing when I close SH4 and 5. The same technic there, in using the desktop shortcut to open the game after minimizing or closing all the regular Windows apps. The Silent Hunter series of games were not written to the 'modern' Windows GUI, and do not have a clue about "sharing" anything with the rest of the computer. In fact, shelling-out to Windows while running the game can cause trouble in the game when it get the focus back from Windows. If you do notice graphic or audio anomalies doing that, Save your progress, exit the game, restart the game and load your Save, you should be back to "normal", or as normal as Windows and SH3 allows...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 02:59 PM   #3
Nico341256
Nub

Downloads: 16

Thanks for the reply. As you mentioned it yourself, thats also pretty much what I am doing.

Thaught maybe knows a nifty hack or something

Anyways, I whish a pleasant weekend.
Nico341256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-23, 03:48 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Nico341526? on the surface after a long silent run

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-23, 01:01 PM   #5
nullptr
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico341256 View Post
Thanks for the reply. As you mentioned it yourself, thats also pretty much what I am doing.

Thaught maybe knows a nifty hack or something

Anyways, I whish a pleasant weekend.
Same here, it's a shame that I can't get SH3 running and utilizing all of my ultrawide monitor, but it is an old game.

I did do some looking into things, but it looks like it'd be a royal pain to make it work. It's not hard to set SH3 to run at a higher resolution, you can do that in the d3d9.ini, but it really screws up the UI and such. From what I've surmised, the UI elements are placed pixel-relative, not percent-relative, on the screen. So you'd have to go into every UI screen and manually reposition all the things as well as regenerate the assets to work in the higher resolution without bad scaling issues.

So, basically, lots of work.
nullptr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4k-res, sh3