SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-23, 07:36 AM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Scapa Flow

I accepted the Scapa Flow scenario and successfully sunk the Royal Oak. However, there are 12 or so Destroyers and Corvettes that hunt your butt. Did the Skipper experience this many U-boat hunters or is the game designers adding a bit of a challenge when attempting escape?

Whatever the case, I learned a lot about the mechanics of the game evading the hunters, rendering aid to sailors, repairs and patience waiting it out on the bottom. Many of the crew received XP and other abilities throughout the scenario. I'm close to open water and out of range of the hunters.

Overall, it is a great simulation experience short of the sweat, blood, tears and fear of the real occurrence. Job well done developers.
Old 02-18-23, 05:22 PM   #2
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice

I look forward to being able to spend more time with this one

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-23, 09:13 AM   #3
TheNolan
Seaman

Downloads: 0

If I remember correctly the British didn't realize it was a sub attack for a few hours or even until the next day
TheNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-23, 06:27 AM   #4
hans jenisch
Watch

Downloads: 3

Hi.
I have been trying to do Scapa Flow , i did several saves along the way , just as well , as its proving to be impossible ,yesterday evening was the first time i saw the battle ship as the green goto keeps changing possition , anyhow i set my torps , she was 5 degs to stbd , fired all four torps , and settled back on sea bed , looked on map and to my horror all four torps where hdg 180 deg from where they should have been going , then i was hunted by no fewer than 27 warships , talk about odds stacked against you .
Trying again , if i fail this time , i might do a free roam Scapa Flow , just to see what happens .
I was reading the Gunther Prein account of Scapa Flow , he had a few close calls , but not by enemy ships while in Scapa Flow , except for ships that had been deliberatly sunk as anti sub defencies in the channel he used to get into Scapa Flow , the British did not realise the battle ship had been torpedoed , they thought it had been an accidental explosion at first.
UBOATS Scapa Flow is incorrect , where the east approach is should have more islands and narrow inlets
regards Alan Cottrill AKA (Hans Jenisch)

Last edited by hans jenisch; 11-10-23 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
hans jenisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-23, 08:19 PM   #5
ploofy2
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNolan View Post
If I remember correctly the British didn't realize it was a sub attack for a few hours or even until the next day

Right ! only one DD tried to hunt Prien and his U-47.... 45 minutes after the royal Oak was sunk
ploofy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-23, 02:19 AM   #6
hans jenisch
Watch

Downloads: 3

Hi.
I eventually managed to complete this mission , it is badly flawed in latest version.
At one point after sinking royal oak i had 30 destroyers/corvettes hunting me , i was depth charged countless times , i was dead in the water twice after depth charge attacks , water up to the crews waist , frantically repairing holes and leakes , tending the wounded , bailing water to control room while bilge pump working overtime , this mission is flawed , because there was two many warships hunting you , they where getting in each others way , very unrealistic , i eventually got out and when i surfaced , i had 1 hours worth of air/batt , and that was because i had to use the ventilation a few times , else the air would have tottally run out befoore i exited , i also used up 10 replacement parts from store room , glad i had the forsight to stock up on these parts prior to leaving port , one good thing from completing this mission , the five officers plus me all recieved decorations for our troubles , and i now have 18 crew and 7 officers , all of use got improved skills , the stress level during this mission went to 99 , during trip back to port , me and another officer played cards to get stress level down , i could not select a few days rest for them to fully recover , so now going to bear island , stress level at strat of mission was 78 , so 1 officer and me played cards , now stress level back at zero , as i travel along just off the coast of norway .
regards Alan Cottrill AKA (Hans Jenisch)
hans jenisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-23, 02:32 AM   #7
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

silent hunter 5 with TWoS does this one better but what i do is shoot at max range submerge aim at the sweet spots go in after midnight dont try to play it realistic get pass the ships surface and run out at flank speed until you get the complete message pop up