SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-22, 08:27 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default How to get started in UBOAT & act like it's no big deal

Old 10-29-22, 08:39 PM   #2
Ruby2000
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

Hi Neal and John,
what a great video ... It was really nice to watch!

I would like to explain a few things that will probably make it even easier to get started.

Hide detection hint
Disable "Hide detection hint" in the game settings before you start a new game.
Pic 1

This will help you a lot in the beginning to understand what effects and influences all the instruments have.
An eye-icon is displayed on the right side that shows you the visibility status of your boat in the tooltip at any time. For visibility, noise and radar.
Pic 2

And it warns you before you are actually detected. If you understand the mechanics of Uboat, you can of course deactivate it again .... ;-)

Crew Management
Yes, you can do a lot with that. Why didn't the officer automatically load the torpedo? Right, there was no alarm and he was on break.
If you look at the officer's tasks, you'll see that the break has a priority of 11 and loading torpedo only has 9.
Pic 11

Just increase the priority of loading torpedo so that he interrupts his break.
Pic 12

For tasks with short-term execution, it is no problem to have a higher priority than break. See also First aid, for the radio operators.

Sailors
Certain number of sailors can be assigned to the officers. The rest of the sailors are on break or on other tasks. You can see this at the bottom of the tooltip.
Pic 5

The value is of course variable, but at the beginning there are usually 6 sailors who can be assigned to the officers.

When sailors are assigned to officers, they are on active duty (green bar) or passive duty (grey bar).
When the bars are green, the officer is on duty and when the bars are grey, the officer is on break.

If the officer is on break, the sailors do other tasks that are assigned to the officer. You can find out what these tasks are here.
Pic 6

And perhaps the most important --- Direct orders ---
Officers usually manage their tasks according to the task list and priorities from the crew management. But sometimes you want to give officers an order to do something.
You can see this by the yellow ring around the task he is executing.
Pic 7

Now, if this is not an order that can be finished in the short term, such as loading torpedos, the officer will execute this order until total exhaustion. Therefore, it is very important that you end the direct orders at some point.

You can do this by clicking on the task bar for each officer with RMC or by clicking on "Stop direct orders" in the TAB menu.
Pic 8
Pic 9

And finally, you can switch directly to the officer's view by clicking on the officer in the TAB menu. You can also directly add/remove sailors here with the mouse.
Pic 10

Good hunting with Uboat

Cheers Ruby

Last edited by Ruby2000; 10-30-22 at 06:06 AM.
Ruby2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-22, 01:30 PM   #3
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

making me want to fire it backup
Old 11-05-22, 08:05 PM   #4
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Great job Neal as usual

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 01:23 PM   #5
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I purchased this sim a couple of weeks ago, the beginning of your how to get started video really helped me get comfortable with the basics fast. Listening all the way to the end about the possible scenarios I realized how immersive this sim can really be. I have a lot to look forward to as I hone those command skills.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote