SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-22, 08:27 AM   #46
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

What Musks see that most people don't is that numbers matter.

If you have a platform which concentrates one part of the political spectrum, either left or right, you are not touching everyone. Currently, Twitter seems to be more left-biased than right-biased (seeing that they did censor information reported by a major journal, the New York Times, when they reported information that was 100 % factual - censoring one of the major press in the USA is a huge, huge mistake).

Musks wants a platform, and he said it clearly, for MARKETING.
He wants a platform with both left and right oriented people.
Sure... those two factions in the USA are gonna wage war online, but meanwhile, Musks will be able to push MARKETING to both sides because BOTH sides will be online on that platform.

He wants both "factions" from opposite sides of the political spectrum to be online in the same agora. So he can then market those audiences to the groups that want to push marketing there.

He wants to do with Twitter what Google has become : first, and foremost, a marketing company.

Google is not about search. It is about marketing :

He's stating his point of view clearly.

He wants everyone in that platform.
And he will use the law of each country to find out what can be allowed, and what has to be removed, country by country (which is going to be a little weird, because some countries will accept content that other countries will not, and Twitter is a global Internet platform).

People will fight online, and on each sides we'll have people freaking out. For sure.

But Musk will be able to market to everyone at the same time by avoiding the platform to be either an echo chamber for the left, or the right.

He's looking beyond the political divide and will try to replicate what made Google so powerful and rich : turn the company into a marketing tool.
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 08:32 AM   #47
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Elvis has left the building!

No, wait those were Twitter Executives!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 08:34 AM   #48
Gilbou
Chief

What I'm wondering is why he wants the company to become private.

A private company doesn't have to publish a lot of information about its internal financial status compared to a company that is listed on the market.

There's also the question about control through shares.

I'm not into finance enough to know or understand why or how taking the company private is as important as it seems.
Old 10-28-22, 09:30 AM   #49
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A comment on Musk written comment about right wing and left wing turn into a echo chamber.

Well people are doing this by them self. Around 90 % of my friends on FB who belong to one of these political wings has blocked the opposite.

People belonging to right or left will still block each other-so Musk have to learn how to live with this echo chamber.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 12:44 PM   #50
Gilbou
Chief

I never registered to any of those things. No twitter, no facebook. Nothing.
Well I guess I'm too old and rusty for those things

Just give me a boat and a heading

Old 10-28-22, 12:54 PM   #51
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

A private company also doesn't have to make long term decisions based on the short term profit goals of it's investors.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 01:16 PM   #52
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Buying Twitter is an accelerant to creating X, the everything app https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...NHodV3-DPTksDQ

X was reason for Musk to buy Twitter early this month, after first unilaterally halting the takeover. It involves a concept that we in the West don't really know: an app that makes a lot of other apps redundant. In China, WeChat has been around for years. Basically, it resembles WhatsApp, but in the superlative sense. Not only do you chat there, you also arrange your banking and insurance affairs, book airline tickets and pay your bills. It has been a Silicon Valley dream for years to get something like this off the ground. Mark Zuckerberg, in particular, would love to put all those functionalities into one app. Although he owns Facebook and chat apps like Messenger and WhatsApp, he has not yet succeeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-22, 02:07 PM   #53
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Well, I learned that Twitter was important for our entire civilization.

Wow! What have I been missing all these years?
Old 10-29-22, 05:39 AM   #54
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Billionaire Elon Musk has said there will be no changes to Twitter's content moderation policies for now after completing his $44bn (£38.1bn) takeover of the platform.

"To be super clear, we have not yet made any changes to Twitter's content moderation policies," he tweeted.

Earlier he announced the creation of a new council to moderate posts.

He also tweeted that "anyone suspended for minor & dubious reasons" would be "freed from Twitter jail".

"Comedy is now legal on Twitter," he said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63428848

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-22, 05:54 AM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I think he will wreak considerable havoc in the political landscape, and want to establish fake news as equal to evidence, so that the concept of an ultimate truth of last resort - the definition of "truth" - is completely destroyed. That, by the way, is the goal of the Russian propaganda ploy: to make any certainty about reality impossible through maximum confusion and then to push forward with their own narrative into the vacuum thus created. Also Trump - and those who follow him - does nothing else but exactly this.

Anyone who has read Musk's remarks on the foreign policy plan for Ukraine can easily calculate that only dangerous things can result from this low intellectual level. Musk should limit himself to what he is obviously good at: Run Tesla and Space X. But improving the world - well, he still has to do a lot of convincing for me. You have to remember that he is first and foremost an entrepreneur. And entrepreneurs primarily have entrepreneurial interests.
Old 10-29-22, 05:56 AM   #56
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

^ Yep

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-22, 09:06 AM   #57
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Billionaire Elon Musk has said there will be no changes to Twitter's content moderation policies for now after completing his $44bn (£38.1bn) takeover of the platform.

"To be super clear, we have not yet made any changes to Twitter's content moderation policies," he tweeted.

Earlier he announced the creation of a new council to moderate posts.

He also tweeted that "anyone suspended for minor & dubious reasons" would be "freed from Twitter jail".

"Comedy is now legal on Twitter," he said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63428848
Yet, that is the key word here.
Old 10-29-22, 09:44 AM   #58
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I think he will wreak considerable havoc in the political landscape, and want to establish fake news as equal to evidence, so that the concept of an ultimate truth of last resort - the definition of "truth" - is completely destroyed.
And how is that any different to what went on before he bought it. Legitimate news stories (Hunter Biden laptop), which turned out to be true were censored for political gain during an election cycle. Free speech is a tricky thing but accurate news reporting being censored is the direct opposite of free speech.

Now I know that in the past when people complained about it that the stock answer was, "well it is a private company and they can do what they want." Let's say that again for the record.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-22, 03:10 PM   #59
Gilbou
Chief

The next US elections is going to be a serious mess on the online social networks

No way I'm ever gonna install that "X" app

Old 10-29-22, 03:31 PM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbou View Post
No way I'm ever gonna install that "X" app
Once cash money is gone and public transportation demands an app instead of a paper ticket and authortiy interact with you onyl via onloine portals and apps...

Its coming, and more and more of this crap is already reality in more and more countries.

Its a damn pest.

The really discouraging thing is that many, especially younger ones who do not know it any different, even embrace the golden line being attached around their necks.

Dont be fooled by that it is golden and looks nice. Its unbreakable and can strangle you, if the hand holding the other end of this golden line wants it so.

And dont be fooled again. That hand at the other end of the line is not yours.