SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-23, 08:39 AM   #4666
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

2 June 1914, General Order No. 99 banned all alcohol on U.S. Navy ships. Ships have remained dry except on very rare occasions. Meanwhile, the Royal Navy's aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has its own pub. "The Queen's Head" beer selection includes "Carrier Ale".

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-02-23 at 12:58 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 09:25 AM   #4667
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

2 June 1944, Operation Cover begins. The Allies bomb France, focusing on the Pas de Calais area in order to deceive the Germans into thinking that is where the D-Day landings will occur.

Old 06-02-23, 05:38 PM   #4668
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

2 June 455, a Vandal army led by Genseric loots Rome. Although the invaders agree to spare the city's inhabitants and destroy no buildings, tales of their depredations flourish. Eventually, any public act of wanton defacement will become known as "vandalism."

Old 06-03-23, 01:14 PM   #4669
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1896 British naval officer David Beatty is seconded to the Egyptian government and appointed second in command of the river flotilla.

1906 Belgian King Leopold II claims Congo as his private possession.

1935 French liner SS Normandie sets Atlantic crossing record of four days, three hours and 14 minutes on her maiden voyage.

1940 Last British and French troops evacuated from Dunkirk.

1946 International Military Tribunal opens in Tokyo against 28 Japanese war criminals.

1973 At Paris air show, Tupolev 144, a Soviet supersonic airliner ("Concorde-ski"), crashes, 15 killed.

1989 Beginning of the Tiananmen Square Massacre as Chinese troops open fire on pro-democracy supporters in Beijing.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 02:08 PM   #4670
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 "...and that's the ball game!"

1888:'Casey at the Bat' is published in the San Francisco Examiner. Given my disgust at the San Francisco Giants always striking out in the Ninth inning, with bases laoded, and two outs thse days, the poem rings true 136 years later...
Quote:
The Outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day:
The score stood four to two, with but one inning more to play.
And then when Cooney died at first, and Barrows did the same,
A sickly silence fell upon the patrons of the game.
A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
Clung to that hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
They thought, if only Casey could get but a whack at that -
We'd put up even money, now, with Casey at the bat.

But Flynn preceded Casey, as did also Jimmy Blake,
And the former was a lulu and the latter was a cake;
So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
For there seemed but little chance of Casey's getting to the bat.

But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all,
And Blake, the much despis-ed, tore the cover off the ball;
And when the dust had lifted, and the men saw what had occurred,
There was Johnnie safe at second and Flynn a-hugging third.

Then from 5,000 throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
It rumbled through the valley, it rattled in the dell;
It knocked upon the mountain and recoiled upon the flat,
For Casey, mighty Casey, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Casey's manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in Casey's bearing and a smile on Casey's face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Casey at the bat.

Ten thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
Five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt.
Then while the writhing pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
Defiance gleamed in Casey's eye, a sneer curled Casey's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
And Casey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the sturdy batsman the ball unheeded sped-
"That ain't my style," said Casey. "Strike one," the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled roar,
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore.
"Kill him! Kill the umpire!" shouted someone on the stand;
And its likely they'd a-killed him had not Casey raised his hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Casey's visage shone;
He stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
He signaled to the pitcher, and once more the spheroid flew;
But Casey still ignored it, and the umpire said, "Strike two."

"Fraud!" cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered fraud;
But one scornful look from Casey and the audience was awed.
They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
And they knew that Casey wouldn't let that ball go by again.

The sneer is gone from Casey's lip, his teeth are clenched in hate;
He pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate.
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
And now the air is shattered by the force of Casey's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 03:02 PM   #4671
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

On 3 June 1996, the Japanese destroyer Yugiri accidentally shot down a U.S. Navy A-6E Intruder with a Phalanx CIWS during a training exercise. The Intruder crew from VA-115 ejected and were recovered.

It was the first foreign plane shot down by Japanese forces since 1945.

Old 06-03-23, 07:18 PM   #4672
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

3 June 1968. Pop artist Andy Warhol is shot by Valerie Solanas. She thought he was trying to steal her manuscript, which portrayed a world without men and called on women to eliminate the males and overthrow the government.

Old 06-03-23, 09:29 PM   #4673
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

/\ her S.C.U.M. Manifesto was the 'bone' of contention...ie: her intellectual property!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-04-23, 07:59 AM   #4674
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

4th June, 1944. The German Type IX-C submarine U-505 was captured by Task Group 22.3 off the coast of West Africa. This was the first enemy vessel boarded at sea by the U.S. Navy since 1815.

4 June 1940, Churchill gives his "We shall fight on the beaches" speech in the House of Commons.

On this day 1942. American dive bombers from the USS Hornet zero in on the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Midway.

Last edited by Jimbuna; 06-04-23 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-04-23, 12:45 PM   #4675
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1917 Most Excellent Order of British Empire inaugurated by King George V to recognise the efforts of his people in WWI

1940 British complete the "Miracle of Dunkirk" by evacuating 338,226 allied troops from France via a flotilla of over 800 vessels including Royal Navy destroyers, merchant marine boats, fishing boats, pleasure craft and even lifeboats.

1940 Winston Churchill's speech "We shall fight on the seas and oceans"

1942 Battle of Midway begins; Japan's 1st major defeat in WW II

1944 General Eisenhower cancels planned D-Day invasion on June 5th after receiving unfavourable weather reports.

1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre: Chinese troops clear the square of student protesters, unofficial figures place death toll near 1,000

Old 06-04-23, 12:53 PM   #4676
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

4 June 1745. The Prussian army under Frederick the Great defeats Prince Charles Alexander's Austrian army in Battle of Hohenfriedberg.

Old 06-05-23, 10:44 AM   #4677
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 "MINNESTOA NICE!"

2020:Minneapolis, MN banned the use of chokeholds by police, the first of many changes in law enforcement practices to be announced in the aftermath of George Floyd's death; officers would be required to intervene any time they saw un-authorized force by another officer.

Old 06-05-23, 01:44 PM   #4678
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1917 10 million US men begin registering for draft in WW I

1944 After receiving favorable weather reports, General Eisenhower decides to proceed with the D-Day invasion on June 6

1944 As part of Operation Tonga, the 1st British gliders touch down on French soil to prepare for the D-Day invasion.

1944 German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel goes on leave just before WWII D-Day landings by the Allies.

1945 WWII: Allied Powers (US, UK, USSR, and France) assume supreme authority over Germany with the "Berlin Declaration Regarding the Defeat of Germany"

1968 Palestinian Sirhan Sirhan assassinates Robert F. Kennedy, shooting him 3 times and wounding 5 others at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California. Kennedy dies the next day..

Old 06-05-23, 03:55 PM   #4679
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

5 June 1884. Civil War General William T. Sherman refuses the Republican presidential nomination, with the now famous words, “I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected.”

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war ... I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success.

Old 06-06-23, 11:09 AM   #4680
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 Here's one you(amazingly ) don't hear about!

1912: Lasting three days, the largest volcanic eruption of the twentieth century exploded June 6, 1912, from a new volcano, Novarupta. In the process, it created Katmai caldera and the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes. Not only have the 1912 events remained scientifically important ever since, but also the 1912 deposits continue to provide insights about volcanic and magmatic processes that impact us and the land we live in. The magnitude and volume of the eruption at Novarupta in 1912 were exceptional, far larger than any other historical eruption in North America. The eruption formed the Valley of 10,000 Smokes. It created and spread more ash fallout than all the other historic eruptions from Alaska volcanoes combined . The dust and sulphurous aerosols were detected over California, Europe and North Africa within two weeks of the eruption (AVO, Fierstein and Hildreth 2001). It was also reported that an ash blanket reached as far as Greece . The ash and dust deposited has shown up in ice cores taken from Greenland (Fierstein and Hildreth 2001). Other recorded effects were extensive and included collapsed roofs, contaminated water supplies, a devastated fishing industry and cooler summers.
Quote:
Many aspects of the three-day explosive eruption at Novarupta in June 1912 focused attention on this remote volcano, and it has become one of the most intensively studied in the world. Its eruptive volume of 3.1-3.4 mi3 (13-14 km3) of magma places it among the five largest in recorded history. At any time, such an eruption would attract much attention, but in 1912 the field of volcanology was in its infancy. Phenomena not previously seen or recognized anywhere else provided opportunities for a wide range of research. In addition to aspects already discussed, the eruption also led to pioneering studies in eruption dynamics and mechanisms of explosive eruptions, evolution of underground magma systems that produce volcanoes, and high-temperature vapor transport in fumaroles with relevance to metallic ore deposition.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v11-i1-c2.htm Bottom Line: if you're gonna get 'cooked' on the spinning mudball, its good to know what the 'stove' is gonna do...somewhat in advance!!?? In 2010, I myself was held over for 5 days in Shannon ireland when Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull erupted, halting all air travel in Europe. If Novarupta(or Yellowstone) erupted again today, to the same scale as in 1912, it would cripple the aviation industry in North America and possibly Europe.< ash load upends jet in Mount Pinatubo, Philippines. The minimum cost is estimated in excess of $300 million and the social implications are likely to be devastating all around the world.