Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-22, 04:41 PM   #1
Zanshin
Nub

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default How to best prepare for MNW?

Hi all,

I've very casually dabbled with 688i, Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, Cold Waters, and CMO on and off over the years, and have recently gotten the submarine bug again. This time, I've combined some dabbling with some reading: Blind Man's Bluff, Dark Waters, Surface at the Pole, The Ice Diaries, Cold Choices, Attack of the Seawolf, The Hunt for Red October, etc.

I'm a pilot and a huge fan of civilian aviation sims. I like realism, and depth, and studying huge manuals. I've shied away from getting serious about submarine sims because I know it's a slippery slope and I just haven't had the time. But dammit, now MNW is calling ...

With playing MNW as a goal once it's released, what do you think is the best way to prepare? I'm looking for a "syllabus" of sorts ... what to read, what to play, etc.

I have a big pile of recommended documents from SubGuru.com. I know about the Fleet Oceanographic and Acoustic Reference Manual and Fleet Tactics and Naval Operations. I haven't read any of it yet.

I have Dangerous Waters, Sub Command, 688i, Cold Waters, and CMO.

I've saved lots of Dangerous Waters videos (including FPSchazly's tutorials) to my "Watch Later" list on YouTube.

If my goal to be ready to dive into MNW when it's eventually released, what would you recommend between now and then? What's essential? What if time was no object (it is, of course, but just for thoroughness ... what if it wasn't)?

I've seen the second page of Notfallmappe_v06.pdf ("How to learn Dangerous Waters Efficiently") ... I'm looking for an updated, more thorough version of that which (maybe) includes DW mods and other games and mods (Cold Waters, CMO's submarine DLC, etc.) too, if it makes sense.

I'm asking not just for myself, but for all the non-sub simmers out there who have seen the MNW videos and are excited, but don't know where to begin. Instead of bemoaning the wait, what could/should we do to best pass the time?

I have my own inclinations, but I'm curious what the experienced folks here think.

Thanks!

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-06-22 at 05:23 PM.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 11:38 AM   #2
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

Play some Dangerous Waters, perhaps using the Reinforce Alert mod. Its buggy but adds much more to the base game. Play some Cold Waters with the Epic Mod. Play some CMO, the Silent Service DLC has some interesting historical and fictional submarine missions. CMO Live Pole Positions is also a huge arctic submarine scenario, playable from both sides. CMO might lack some of the fidelity of a simulation like Dangerous Waters, but it gives a better idea of how modern submarines are used to achieve larger goals. There's also some really good submarine documentaries and videos on YouTube, too numerous to list.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 11:48 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Zanshin! What do you fly?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 10:07 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Just play, have fun. Read stuff that sounds interesting, play stuff that looks interesting. Submarine books and movies can be very exciting to read and watch but I don't think they taught me much of anything of how to play these games (that's not their point). Anyway, Modern Naval Warfare is going to be so much more detailed than any other modern sub game out there that we're all going to have a bit of a learning curve when we start

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 10:22 PM   #5
asleepwater
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

Dangerous Waters is a very nice game and I want MNW to be very hardcore. I suggest DW.
asleepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 11:24 PM   #6
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

nothing compares so how will you prepare? this will be a totally new in depth sub sim experience
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 02:44 AM   #7
Zanshin
Nub

Downloads: 11

Thanks folks, that makes a lot of sense: have some fun while waiting and prepare for a learning curve, not for mastery out of the gate. The learning curve is much of the fun with sims, so I'm glad to hear even you guys think there will be one.

FPSchazly, your videos have been a huge help. Thanks for all the effort! (Edit: I just watched your latest video .... congrats on the writing role. Can't wait to read that manual.)

Aktungbby, I'm just an instrument-rated private pilot and I haven't flown PIC in a loooooong while. But I do aviation-related writing and instructional design, and I use sim software every day, so I get my fix.

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-14-22 at 03:02 AM.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 10:12 PM   #8
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Thanks folks, that makes a lot of sense: have some fun while waiting and prepare for a learning curve, not for mastery out of the gate. The learning curve is much of the fun with sims, so I'm glad to hear even you guys think there will be one.

FPSchazly, your videos have been a huge help. Thanks for all the effort! (Edit: I just watched your latest video .... congrats on the writing role. Can't wait to read that manual.)

Aktungbby, I'm just an instrument-rated private pilot and I haven't flown PIC in a loooooong while. But I do aviation-related writing and instructional design, and I use sim software every day, so I get my fix.

Thank you, glad to help! I'm hoping with Modern Naval Warfare I can get into some more advanced tutorials.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 11:24 PM   #9
TopTorp '92
Loader

Downloads: 2
Default FP Says it right...

Just have fun with it...
Each brings a perspective to the game.
I for one was an FTG1. So, sonar and fire control will play the deciding role for me. How will the Attack Party deal with submerged contacts? Computer Automated crew members? Snap Shots? Quick Dives? Rapid Reloads? Submarine houskeeping like pumping/blowing bilges at inconvenient times, and what about clearing the broadcast? Don't forget collision imminent.
The screenshots I see look good. Like the sonar display looks reasonably realistic. I cannot wait to experience game play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Hi all,

I've very casually dabbled with 688i, Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, Cold Waters, and CMO on and off over the years, and have recently gotten the submarine bug again. This time, I've combined some dabbling with some reading: Blind Man's Bluff, Dark Waters, Surface at the Pole, The Ice Diaries, Cold Choices, Attack of the Seawolf, The Hunt for Red October, etc.

I'm a pilot and a huge fan of civilian aviation sims. I like realism, and depth, and studying huge manuals. I've shied away from getting serious about submarine sims because I know it's a slippery slope and I just haven't had the time. But dammit, now MNW is calling ...

With playing MNW as a goal once it's released, what do you think is the best way to prepare? I'm looking for a "syllabus" of sorts ... what to read, what to play, etc.

I have a big pile of recommended documents from SubGuru.com. I know about the Fleet Oceanographic and Acoustic Reference Manual and Fleet Tactics and Naval Operations. I haven't read any of it yet.

I have Dangerous Waters, Sub Command, 688i, Cold Waters, and CMO.

I've saved lots of Dangerous Waters videos (including FPSchazly's tutorials) to my "Watch Later" list on YouTube.

If my goal to be ready to dive into MNW when it's eventually released, what would you recommend between now and then? What's essential? What if time was no object (it is, of course, but just for thoroughness ... what if it wasn't)?

I've seen the second page of Notfallmappe_v06.pdf ("How to learn Dangerous Waters Efficiently") ... I'm looking for an updated, more thorough version of that which (maybe) includes DW mods and other games and mods (Cold Waters, CMO's submarine DLC, etc.) too, if it makes sense.

I'm asking not just for myself, but for all the non-sub simmers out there who have seen the MNW videos and are excited, but don't know where to begin. Instead of bemoaning the wait, what could/should we do to best pass the time?

I have my own inclinations, but I'm curious what the experienced folks here think.

Thanks!
TopTorp '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 02:02 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

asleepwater!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 08:21 PM   #11
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

The handbook of submarine operations by P R Franklin is a good read

ISBN 978-93-85699-01-06

https://www.amazon.ca/Handbook-Subma.../dp/9385699016

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 12:21 PM   #12
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

You can also read those 3 books, to see how the other side will go after you.

UglyMowgli is offline   Reply With Quote