SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III > SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-11, 10:27 AM   #1
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default ideas on how to design a mission around a major surface engagement

I would love to design a mission around a major surface engagement mostly to observe the battle not to inetrevene - how best can I start the process or is there a good one out there already? I find it fascinating to watch! Almost a whole new sim!

DID, no cheats, no shortcuts, no non-historic equipment deviations. Boat and crew safety is integral with my immersion style! Follow the historic events during your patrol: http://www.uboat.net/today.html
PappyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 08:24 PM   #2
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Ok, let me ask this ... how stable is the mission editor, how long would it take to master the nuances and protocols. I have made missions in the past with other mission editors (happily too) and think I would like to try this one ... maybe! Thoughts???
DID, no cheats, no shortcuts, no non-historic equipment deviations. Boat and crew safety is integral with my immersion style! Follow the historic events during your patrol: http://www.uboat.net/today.html
Old 12-05-11, 10:45 AM   #3
danzig70
Planesman

Downloads: 290

The Mission Editor is alot of fun. I create a mod folder and copy and place the data/campaign files in it. There are tutorials about creating custom missions. But you can edit the campaign files without having to create a new mission. The changes would be visible in a normal career. There are three files types: LND - Land: Bases, airbases, coastal guns; RND - Random Layer: Randomly spawned ship traffic; SCR-Scripted layer: Similar to the random layer. Scripting warships should probably be in this layer.

If you open the stock scripted layer you can select and drag units from the explorer window to the map. You can change the properties of units and groups and can run the simulator from the Mission Editor to time the units so they appear where and when you want them to.
Old 12-09-11, 07:34 PM   #4
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Thanks mate ... I will be giving it a try!

Old 12-09-11, 08:10 PM   #5
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think I may have BBW's (BigBoyWooly) guide saved somewhere.
It's probably the best guide I've even seen.
Old 12-30-11, 09:11 AM   #6
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

^^ Would be Interested in this too
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 07:33 AM   #7
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Hi!

One of the GWX Missions, "Convoy JW55B", depicts a historically-based hypothetical surface engagement between a German squadron consisting of Scharnhorst and 5 destroyers, and a convoy with an ASW screen, a close covering group of heavy cruisers, and a distant covering force with the battleship Duke of York.

The Scharnhorst just missed intercepting the convoy in real life, but the scenario assumes that they engaged.

There are a lot of ships in action so your game may run a bit slow.

Hope this helps!

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899

Last edited by Pablo; 02-23-16 at 05:15 PM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote