SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III > SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-07, 06:25 PM   #61
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Never did get this to work in SH4.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 11:34 AM   #62
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Was kind of hoping someone would point out that there is one critical setting you need to make it work, lol.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 03:30 AM   #63
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544
Uploads: 0
Default [REQ] Any way to activate triggers in campaign?

I have a question and maybe someone here can help me, please.
Recently, I've done some forays into the mission editor, trying to make gamepley a little more interactive in campaign. I attempted to insert combinations of trigger/event/objective in campaign, but no success so far.

I used combinations of triggers/events in single missions and they worked, but when I'm doing the same thing in a campaign layer (_SCR or _RND), the game just ignores them. Is there any way to insert such things into the campaign layers?

If they could be added, it would make the campaign a lot more fun to play. Just imagine a time trigger in the RND layer which, if happening, would send you to dock at La Spezia - for instance - and relocate in the Med, like in Das Boot.

I would be willing to build a lot of such events to be merged with the campaign layers, if I can make the game take them into account.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 02:20 PM   #64
Magnito
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb
I would be willing to build a lot of such events to be merged with the campaign layers, if I can make the game take them into account.
I don't know if campaign_LND, RND and SCR admit [trigger/Event] parameters, but you can add Transmissions in the date tou want in the messages_EN.txt manually.
Magnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 09:12 AM   #65
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnito
I don't know if campaign_LND, RND and SCR admit [trigger/Event] parameters, but you can add Transmissions in the date tou want in the messages_EN.txt manually.
Thanks Magnito. I know about editing the radio message files. What I meant was to link such messages to certain triggers, in order to make campaign more interactive. It's no fun to know that on March 12th 1942, at 5:32 AM, BdU asks me to relocate at Salamis. The idea was to - let's say - receive such a message if I reach a certain spot in quadrant, or reach a certain tonnage sunk, or... you name it. I feel this would have brought more life into the campaign, because now my major complaint with the game is the lack of interactivity. And I am not alone in feeling like this. There's at least another subsim member, Wave Skipper, who thought about a creative use of triggers and radio messages as immersion boosters. Unfortunately, his idea would mean throwing away the main plus of SH3 - its dynamic campaign - as well as needing a huge amount of work. Check this thread about his idea:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=triggers

Ah, I was about to forget. Since I posted the initial message here, I learned 100% for sure that campaign mode does not recognise any trigger. Learned it from my own experiments and also got it confirmed by BigBoyWooly, the very knowledgeable guy who "wrote" the campaign for GWX.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 10:29 AM   #66
Magnito
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb
Ah, I was about to forget. Since I posted the initial message here, I learned 100% for sure that campaign mode does not recognise any trigger. Learned it from my own experiments and also got it confirmed by BigBoyWooly, the very knowledgeable guy who "wrote" the campaign for GWX.
Then, if BigBoyWooly confirmed this... is a bad new. I also think that restrict triggers, events, mapzones to singlemissions limited very much campaigns.
Magnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 08:46 AM   #67
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Magnito, in SP as well as MP you can add map zones, or say a sinking of a ship/class...tonnage to trigger an event...but as Mark has confirmed (BBW) not in campaign...
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 02:13 PM   #68
tiggermcse
Bilge Rat

Default spawning in single mission

I've been messing around for awhile creating single missions. But I am not able to figure out how to spawn ships or groups using triggers and events. I'd like to have a group be spawned nearby when a specific ship is sunk but nothing seems to work.

Also, same type thing with how to spawn a randomly generated group.

Or is this only possible when working with a campaign?

Thanks to any who can teach me what I'm doing.....
tiggermcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 04:37 PM   #69
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Hi and welcome aboard
Units wont usually spawn if within player visual range
Maybe even as far out as rendering range

Have not really played with triggers too much in SP so may be another reason

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 10:42 PM   #70
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggermcse
I've been messing around for awhile creating single missions. But I am not able to figure out how to spawn ships or groups using triggers and events. I'd like to have a group be spawned nearby when a specific ship is sunk but nothing seems to work.

Also, same type thing with how to spawn a randomly generated group.

Or is this only possible when working with a campaign?

Thanks to any who can teach me what I'm doing.....
This post is a bit old but in case you didn't get an answer, nothing will spawn within 20mn of your sub. That includes ships, convoys, task force, planes, Random Generated Groups. It is so things don't just pop up out of nowhere right in front of you. So make sure you are at least that far away.

To spawn a group when you sink a ship:

1. Create the group or ship and set it's entry date in the future (Remember to name it). Also remember to give it waypoints and speed otherwise it will just sit there or sail off in whatever direction it is facing.

2. Create a trigger for the ship destroyed "Unit destroyed" or "Class destroyed" give it a name that will make sense in case you add more triggers. Use those if it is a specific ship you need to destroy, but you can use tonnage if you just want the group to appear if you sink anything. For example if you sink a ship in a convoy and they radio for help, you can use tonnage and just put 1 ton. Then they will spawn whatever you sink. With "unit destroyed" or "class destroyed" it has to be a specific ship or class of ship. That's why you name your group so you will know which one it is if your mission has 20 groups in it.

3. Go to event and "Update Instance" using the name of your group that you created in step 1 (or it can be a single ship) in "Instance name" and check 'spawn". "Add Trigger" and select the trigger you created for the destroyed ship.

Now when you destroy the ship, as long as you are 20nm or more away, the group will spawn and start sailing in the direction of the waypoints you set up.

Hope this helped, I know the post is a couple months old so you may already have the answer.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 01:59 PM   #71
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222

If I remeber rightly, going back to SH2 you could attach a unit to your sub, it could be miles away but it made its way to you because it was attached.
I did this a few times and it worked, plus you got added support in a battle and they also acted as a decoy so you could attack without too much attention.

I'm not sure if something like this could work in this sim, just a thought,

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 09:20 PM   #72
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger2005 View Post
Incidently, I've also had a lot of trouble with the time trigger. If you schedule a radio message to appear more than a few hours in the future, it will appear as soon as the mission starts instead.

Yes, that's it, I'm having exactly the same problem. It appears to me that the time trigger is bugged if the day written is different from the day when you start the mission.

Old 05-01-23, 02:54 AM   #73
jklm
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
I would like to bump this one up please, the reason being I'm trying to get other ship units to spawn when I reach a certain area.
I have even had a lone merchant and kept in visual contact with it hoping it spawns a DD but I have not been successful, I do get aircraft though even in bad storms when any right minded pilot would be safely on the ground.
planes in the middle of the ocean, this is not uncommon in the game silent hunter 5)))
jklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 09:14 AM   #74
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

jklm!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote