SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-23, 07:37 PM   #16
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

I've been reading the "rules" and was wondering if it would be fine to start another thread for "Beta" testing links, and leave this one for discussion.

I was thinking of editing the first page of this post since the things in there are not necessarily what the mod is going to include now. There are some changes from what I originally put there.

The link to the current "Beta_1" is somewhat farther down the page than the first entry because of this.

Can I modify the top/first post without any penalty, or should I just make a "Beta" thread?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Just wanted to know before posting "Beta_2" soon. Didn't want to get on the naughty list for no reason.

I've already finished with the NSS files for the S-18, Porpoise, Tambor, Argonaut, Gato, and Salmon, as well as "tweaking" the special abilities, ranks, crewmember, and qualifications "upc" files and wanted to put it out there once I'm done with the next two or three subs. I may just keep pluggin away and wait until I'm done with all of them since it's not taking as long as I thought it would.

Thanks!

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 12:18 PM   #17
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid97 View Post
I've been reading the "rules" and was wondering if it would be fine to start another thread for "Beta" testing links, and leave this one for discussion.

I was thinking of editing the first page of this post since the things in there are not necessarily what the mod is going to include now. There are some changes from what I originally put there.

The link to the current "Beta_1" is somewhat farther down the page than the first entry because of this.

Can I modify the top/first post without any penalty, or should I just make a "Beta" thread?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Just wanted to know before posting "Beta_2" soon. Didn't want to get on the naughty list for no reason.

I've already finished with the NSS files for the S-18, Porpoise, Tambor, Argonaut, Gato, and Salmon, as well as "tweaking" the special abilities, ranks, crewmember, and qualifications "upc" files and wanted to put it out there once I'm done with the next two or three subs. I may just keep pluggin away and wait until I'm done with all of them since it's not taking as long as I thought it would.

Thanks!

ElCid97
yes, since you created this thread, you can either rename this one or create a separate thread for the BETA.

good luck in your new venture!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 08:10 PM   #18
ElCid97
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes, since you created this thread, you can either rename this one or create a separate thread for the BETA.

good luck in your new venture!
Thanks Marco!

I've posted the Beta 2 over on a new post so people aren't rumagging (sp?) around trying to find where the file link is. I'll just keep updating the link as necessary over there with new "beta" files until it's released as V.1 down the road.

ElCid97
Old 02-05-23, 02:30 PM   #19
ElCid97
Gunner

I've been working on some updates to the fonts in use for the mod. I know it's not directly related to ranks and such, but it makes everything seem to "flow" better with a "mechanical" feel to it.

Still working on final touches, but should have something by this evening on the Beta thread.

Here are some pics so far for this weekend's work:

Main Intro Screen:

Inspired by the many "typewriter" fonts in use for LSH3-V15 (2015 timeframe and the last one I can run on my old Win-7 system), this is meant to give a more "human intervention" feel to the intro by giving the impression someone is "writing" the information to the player.

Jimimadrid's "Big Faces Mod" incorporation:

This is the "Big Faces Mod" showing not just the incorporation of the default "typewriter" font, but also the "new" special abilities as crew positions within the sub. This one is using the S-Boat out of Manila, December 1941.

All the postition, rank, and crew descriptions -- as well as the pop-ups available for all -- now have the typewriter font applied to them. The "Renown" label probably needs to get the next size up, but for now it's not bad. I've left the sub's "data plate" alone since I thought it looked good here.

Main Navigation Screen:

I like this shot since it allows me to show various of the new changes in one picture. From left to right, you have the new radio messages as well as the clipboard changes, the changes to the "alert box" (in this case an aircraft being spotted), and the messages box from your crew that you scroll in-game (I have mine at the bottom near the HUD to get it out of the way).

I left the waypont text alone since it's already using the pencil/handwritten type font for marking the different navigational information.

The date that pops up when you hover the mouse over the watch gives you the date in a "typewriter" font as well, but didn't have it up for this shot.

Damage Control Station (Jimimadrid's S-Boat):

Again using the great mod by Jimimadrid, but this will have the same font effect if using the regular FotRSU install as well.

As you can see, all the equipment and positions are likewise upated with the new font. Again, I left the data plate alone up in the top left.

Award Certificate:

I activated the "Trajan Pro" fonts found in the FotRSU install. I applied the closest size to the certificate and managed to do some formatting as best possible. I wish there was a way to center the stuff, but that's probably way to complicated for my experience since I have a feeling it may have to do with the "ini" file and adding some "display" section or changing some "zone" or "pos" section. That's way above my paygrade now.

I didn't try to use some specific certificate type thing because I liked the "personal" feel you have when the thing actually uses your own name and the name of your boat. Future, more generic versions may feature something more generic but with nicer graphics. We'll see.

Default Torpedo Page:

For comparison, this is the default FotRSU torpedo page for comparison with the Jimimadrid one.

This is for the Tambor, but you get the idea.

I may have to change a few things here and there, but so far I'm happy with it. It shows the new labeling very nicely and also showcases the description changes as well.

I still like Jimimadrid's version better, though.

Again, I'll see what I can do to update the link in the beta-release posting for any testing you folks may want to do.

Failing any negative feedback in the next week or so, I'll just upload whatever I post as Beta-3. It'll be uploaded as BuPers_V1 in the file library if there are no complaints.

NOTE: Because the Jimimadrid mods also modify the "menu_1024_768.ini" file, you MUST activate ANY or ALL of his mods AFTER the BuPers Beta since I'm changing various things based on the DEFAULT FotRSU "ini" file to maximize compatibility with the default installation.

Again, activate BuPers BEFORE any of Jimimadrid's mods or this thing WILL NOT work properly.

Also, please keep in mind that this WON'T work if you activate another mod that modifies that "ini" file. It works with Jimimadrid's mods SPECIFICALLY because his mods are done with his editor so that his mods only change CERTAIN lines in the "ini" file, and NOT the entire "ini" file like I did (or other mods do). The rest of the lines are left alone with his mods, hence the fact his stuff works with other mods.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the past few months!

ElCid97