SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-20, 04:56 AM   #16
Deep10
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Mod crash

Well first off I have 2 SSD drives, the C: and an E:, SH4 is installed on the E: drive to avoid C: X86 etc.

Second I install SH4 from a disc boxed gold edition which is the 1.5 version containing the Uboats missions addon.

I bought this boxed version many moons ago before Steam really got going.

My PC is an AMD Ryzen 3600 6 core CPU
Win 10
Nvidia 2060 super RTX
16 MB ram

Also I have the CCleaner utility so every time I have deleted SH4 I have manually deleted every to do with SH4 and UBI soft and cleaned my registry of any remnants of the program.

I did once or twice get past the crash and actually go to the "bridge" but don't ask me how or what I did to get there, however it soon crashed again.

Last edited by Deep10; 06-19-20 at 05:16 AM.
Deep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 06:20 AM   #17
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

@Deep10,

Thank you for showing us your video, I assume you have followed my points above. I have only 3 ideas to add to what I said (please check the 3rd idea fist):

Write-Protected Files:
Check your SH4 game folder, chose all the files in it but not the folders, right-click > Properties. The box 'write-protected' must not be checked, otherwise uncheck it and click OK. Repeat a 2nd time, this time with all the files and folders of the SH4 game folder, and say Yes when asked to also apply for the sub folders.
If this doesn't work: it means you don't have administrator rights on your computer OS which should not happen if you did install the game in a free accessible folder. Are you sure the game is not installed on a removable media or on a protected drive? Then the files will not be free accessible, this should not be done.
You would need to change your amdin rights in the Account settings of Windows, set your account as 'Administrator'.

Corrupt download or missing files:
Deactivate the mod in JSGME, then chose it on the left side and chose 'Explore'. Select all what you see, right-click > Properties. What file size in Bytes do you see? Can you please publish it here?
Or:
Deactivate the FOTRSU mod and remove it from JSGME (right-click it on the left side after deactivating and chose delete), redownload the mod and reinstall it in JSGME. No need to repeat my steps in my post above, reload your save and it should be ok if your previous download was corrupt or if you did remove files by error in the past.

Antivirus has blocked the LAA or the 4GB Patch
Maybe you did not notice that your antivirus or security suite has blocked the 4GB patch or LAA while you have tried to apply it. You must check this in your antivirus. In the case of the 4gb patch, if there is a file "sh4.exe.Backup" in your game folder then the patch was applied correctly, if not then the patch was not applied and the game will run out of RAM without error message like in your video (that's true only for the 4gb patch and not LAA; wether LAA is correctly applied you must check this on your own, sorry, I'm not using that one; have you .Net 2.0 installed on your computer? This is a requisite for LAA...it's simpler to use the 4GB patch...).

If I get other ideas I will feedback. I hope you soon get it resolved, I can see in your video that the game loads pretty fast , identical to my system, so your system is definitly not the culprit, except if you did huge changes to your video driver settings, in this case relaunch NVidia Panel (or the AMD equivalent if you have a AMD card) and reset all to default settings.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-19-20 at 07:33 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 06:51 AM   #18
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH4 modding install...

Ok, knowing the source helps.. other than the fact that you are using a disk, this .. as far as I know of, should help & also work for any other mega mods you want to see of doing, beyond FotRSU-EN v1.1 (& any subsequent updates to it...).

Since you know about CCleaner, that's a leg up on the whole process... ad in the things that XS mentioned of ensuring that any & all files in the clean SH4 are ear marked as being capable of being written to, is something that I missed when I pulled this guide together (& shall update it, after getting a bit of sleep after posting this.. )

Other than that, this should get you fully up & skippering a boat in no time. I Have We dive at dawn, a pre Pearl FotRSU-EN v1.1 (patched, by the way with the patch notated at the top of post #1 in the forum thread for it), Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters, a sub squad 50 mix am in the works of setting up, as well.. and last but NOT least.. an IJN reserved copy of SH4, ready to rock & roll, just as soon as that hits the release status for it.. Climb Mount Niitaka... that was a mouthful...

Ok, so any way.. on to the guide, just be warned.. it is long, but I believe useful.

I posted about another having issues with something close to this, in the FotRS subgroup here...

I have win 10 Pro edition 1909 (updated to latest in release as it stands at this time...)

I do run a 2 HD set up in my computer.. so I have the main ( C:/ ) & the 2ndary ( E:/ ... somehow the backup side of C:/, got named D:/ ... don't ask me how or why, it just happened when I added in another HD & then set the new 1 to be the main HD... C:/ is a 2TB E:/ is a .5 TB drive...)

I have Origin, Steam & Uplay launchers, set up & installed on the 2ndary... in C:/ I set up a folder called /Games, and this is where I install games at.

I have paid access to SH3, 4 & 5, through both Steam & Ubi...

Until about a couple of weeks ago, I had 1 copy of SH4 from each of them & modded out as to how I wanted to, at the time.. until I decided I wanted to add another mod into the mix & was unable to since I couldn't get a copy of SH4 from either place... since I had already d/l'ed, installed them.

So, I ended up having to dump & start from jump street.

I 1st tried after going through the painful process of uninstalling, clearing out every trace of having installed SH4, I then ran CCleaner to finalize the process & restarted my computer.

Then began the process of setting up a fresh clean.. of which I started with Ubi... which despite everything I found of how to make multi copies of SH4 to be able to mod it, whilst keeping a clean safe copy... that attempt was a bust.. a no go... a bomb.... no matter what I did, I could not get them to work.. so.. I gave up with Ubi..

I then turned to Steam & to date, have NO issues running SH4 modded (more than 1 copy of it, to be exact..) & have them modded to the following flavors:

FotRS-U-EN
Oper. Monsun: Enhanced
Oper. Monsun: Dark Waters

All while still having a fresh unmodded copy of SH4, available to copy from, should I desire to & I did so in the following manner..

With Steam, I told it to install the library in C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam

In SH4-Steam, which is where I told Steam to put SH4 (v1.5, mind you, by the way...).

So the structure reads as follows there:
C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific (the last bit I just left as steam installed it.. it works & yanno the old sayin'... if it ain't broke.. don't mess with it... *shrugs*) after getting SH4 installed, I ran it to ensure if any further set up was needed & then shut SH4 down. After that I added in jsgme, multiSH4 and closed out & back to showing \Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific folder. Now, ready to play doctor accordingly...

Ok, from there, I created in \common
a folder named to what flavor mod I want to run with, for this ex. I'll run with the mod Operation Monsun: Enhanced (created by Fifi.. thanks for your work Fifi)

After creating that folder I then reopen the fresh, UNMODDED SH4 folder & using Cntrl+A highlight everything in there, right click & copy it all.

page back to \common & click on the new folder (OperationMonsun:Enhanced) & paste the game guts into it...

Having successfully made a fresh copy of SH4 then I begin the modding process...

I run jsgme, set up the mods folder, then close it out for the moment..
Next, I add in what all files & such is needed for the mod,send a copy of jsgme to desktop, renaming it on desktop to JSGME-OM:E, then run it & activate the mods installing in the prescribed order... once all mod parts are activated, I shut jsgme down & move on to the next step.

MultiSH4: I run this & set the save folder to the 3 letter nick, (in this case OME, for obvious reasons...) then close that out...

I make adjustments to 2 files, knowing full well what I want to do and how to accomplish this... I have a .txt note made for these changes which are minor & are as follows:
data\cfg\gameplay & data\cfg\main
gameplay, I adjust the realism to 4 key setting bells 'batteries, compressed air, O2 & fuel' & set these to +25, all the rest to =0 (yes I do activate everything to 100 for realism & go by the dead is dead principle... so no judgments, thanks... I do like having the ability to look about.. if i so desire to.. and yes, I know sailors then didn't have that luxury... is still nice though as it makes for some grand screenshots...)

Main, I adjust the time compression settings to what I want them down to, which is basically max compression of 1024... max.. I don't allow it any higher than that, as the limit. Doesn't mean I run TC to that point though...

After that, I then turn my attention to the SH4.exe, this I send a shortcut to desktop, which I then rename to SH4-Oper.Monsun:Enhanced

After I get all that done, I go to Large Address Aware, (which I have installed in C:\L-A-A, activate it & tell it to allow the game to use 4 GB RAM to run.. then after finalizing that process.. I turn my attention to the last detail...

run the game & enjoy...

Have NOT ran into any issue playing any of the mod flavors i have, only complaint I have is having to log into Steam, but that aside... they work.

p.s.

I do stop & run a check of the SH4 copy that I am going to play, as it were... Dr. Frankenstein on... but seeing as how my post was already starting to approach novella length.. I left it out of there, figuring that other would be smart enough to figure that out on their own...

At least I... never mind, any way...

I do keep jsgme & multiSH4 in a zip & already unzipped form, as back up in the 2ndary drive... for just such emergencies... if any thing happens to the unzipped copy, I can always replace it with running an unzip from where I keep that back up at there and replace the problem copy.. after deleting the problem one, that is... trust me... there is a methodology to my madness... and should all else fails, can always go out with a

As for L-A-A, that's just where I set it up to call home... to each their own, as long as they know it works, yanno...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Mad Mardigan
Old 06-19-20, 08:15 AM   #19
Deep10
Watch

Default Mod crash

Just for the record I have installed and activated a MOD called, "Pacific environment's" and it works perfectly, and really its all I need so I will just stick with it, but thanks anyway, I really can't go on trying different things otherwise my mental health will suffer LOL, to be honest if it was a modern game with better graphics I would persevere but I'm really marking time and waiting for Microsoft flight sim to be released.

I mean don't get me wrong if you could ever play even UBOAT as the allies I would certainly get into that but all the best Sub sims are German U boats which I'm not into.

Anyway thanks again folks.

Last edited by Deep10; 06-19-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 01:04 PM   #20
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

In your video, I can hear "Passing thermal layer" which means you didn't do what I said above, that's too bad because now we cannot exclude any of the points above...Going to the bridge when you are underwater is a bad idea, don't you think? But sometimes the game after loading outputs sounds from the previous session - however going underwater is not what I was asking you, so the results may differ. Maybe there is a mod bug with underwater saves? I cannot say, I never do this.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-19-20 at 01:20 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 06:49 PM   #21
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Final thoughts...

Ok, as I see it.. whatever 'floats your boat'... just know that should you change your mind, the info provided is here.. maybe another will find it of use.

with that, signing out.

...Gute Jagd.

Mad Mardigan

Old 06-20-20, 02:25 AM   #22
Deep10
Watch

Default Mod crash

Well just as an afterthought, when the message, "passing thermal layer" comes through I haven't started the mission and I am still in Pearl harbour.

But anyway thank you all again and I will certainly keep all the advice and tips above for other members.

Tags
graphics, mods, sh4