SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-16, 10:21 AM   #16
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
You should grab at least EUF...

Or enable TWoS?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:16 AM   #17
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hmm, I've tried your double 37mm flak...

It's just like you said...Everything work OK (AI and player can use the gun normally) until I walk with my avatar exactly to the right side of wintergarden platform?! Then camera freezes...Shift+U command can help in this situation though...Really strange indeed...

It's interesting, if you stay on the left side of the wintergarden platform, double 37mm flak will work just as any other flak in the game...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:52 AM   #18
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hmm, I've tried your double 37mm flak...

It's just like you said...Everything work OK (AI and player can use the gun normally) until I walk with my avatar exactly to the right side of wintergarden platform?! Then camera freezes...Shift+U command can help in this situation though...Really strange indeed...

It's interesting, if you stay on the left side of the wintergarden platform, double 37mm flak will work just as any other flak in the game...
Really? I must have always walked to the right side of the gun then

It must have something to do with that gun's topology then. Your report helps a lot. Thank you for testing!

PS: can you man the gun if you walk to it from the correct side?

Last edited by gap; 02-24-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 12:10 PM   #19
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
PS: can you man the gun if you walk to it from the correct side?
Yes, absolutely...You can man it from all sides except mentioned wintergarden's right side...Note that this was tested on the U-flak sub...I'll check it out later what is going on with VIIC41 for example...
Old 02-24-16, 12:21 PM   #20
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, absolutely...You can man it from all sides except mentioned wintergarden's right side..
Amazing

Quote:
Note that this was tested on the U-flak sub...I'll check it out later what is going on with VIIC41 for example...
I don't remember which U-boat/turm I tested that gun on, I don't think it will make any difference except maybe for space around the gun itself and ease of access to it...
Old 02-24-16, 12:24 PM   #21
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, absolutely...You can man it from all sides except mentioned wintergarden's right side...Note that this was tested on the U-flak sub...I'll check it out later what is going on with VIIC41 for example...

EDIT

Small illustration...

Form this possition, all is working fine, manning the gun/leaving the station ect ...

...but walk just a little bit more further and the game freezes ...

img upload
Old 02-24-16, 12:50 PM   #22
gap
Navy Seal

I have had yet another look into that Flak's model, but apparently there is nothing, not even an hidden mesh, which might come into the way of player's avatar
Old 02-24-16, 01:03 PM   #23
gap
Navy Seal

YESSS, I know what's going with that gun at last! It isn't a problem of a mesh coming in player's way; it is a bone. More specifically the bone named Dmy_37mmTSA_Cam. As the name says it should be camera-related. I need to study some other guns before I can say what is its function, and the best soluce to the problem
Old 02-24-16, 01:30 PM   #24
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
YESSS, I know what's going with that gun at last! It isn't a problem of a mesh coming in player's way; it is a bone. More specifically the bone named Dmy_37mmTSA_Cam. As the name says it should be camera-related. I need to study some other guns before I can say what is its function, and the best soluce to the problem
Bones , nodes , meshes , upcge....SH games are the shiitiest games for modding. I hate SH series!
Old 02-24-16, 02:38 PM   #25
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Another small update which I forgot to tell you...
When game freezes, it will do so no mater how the gun is orientated, for example, if you walk to mentioned position while crew is aiming flak...

Anything yet?
Old 02-24-16, 03:37 PM   #26
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Another small update which I forgot to tell you...
When game freezes, it will do so no mater how the gun is orientated, for example, if you walk to mentioned position while crew is aiming flak...
This is not compatible with my supposition about the Dmy_37mmTSA_Cam bone being related to the freezing camera when the player moves close to it. The said bone is linked to gun's barrel, and it should change position when the gun is trained/elevated by AI crew.

Quote:
Anything yet?
Well, the "suspect" bone is the one that the CamUserData controller in gun's cam file is pointing to, and I am pretty sure it determines gun camera position which, on the twin 37 mm gun, is moved to the right. If I move that bone to one side, player's view won't be aligned anymore with gun's aim. I still don't get what is special about the twin 37 mm gun though, since other Flak guns look pretty much the same to me as far as their basic structure is concerned (maybe the double 37 mm is too wide, and its camera falls outside an invisible "no trespassing" limit, or some blunder by devs in cam controller settings?). The good news is that GR2 Editor can open our gun's GR2 (I just hope it wont corrupt it on saving). What I can do to confirm/disconfirm my hypothesis, is moving the discussed bone from the right side to the left side, and see if it makes any difference.
Old 02-24-16, 04:02 PM   #27
vdr1981
Navy Seal

I see...
This is hardly only camera/station bones/controllers issue because, when the game freezes , almost entire GUI functionality will also collapse (teleports, key and GUI commands ect). I mean, everything work great until you step in 'forbidden area"...

Simple camera/station problem can be observed if you try to man front flak gun (U-flak)...You'll see strange camera behavior, but when you click exit station command, everything is back to normal...

This "game freeze" reminds me a lot on issues I had when I was trying to create destructible stock GHG sensor, even if it didn't have it's own 3D mode l(only bone)...
Your transparent dat 3D mesh solved the problem...
Do you remember?
Old 02-24-16, 04:05 PM   #28
gap
Navy Seal

Vecko, can you try moving around the bone that I was talking about using GR2 Editor? When I save and reload the file in GR2 Editor, it seems that my changes were saved, but if I open the file in Goblin, it shows that nothing has changed
Old 02-24-16, 04:12 PM   #29
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
This "game freeze" reminds me a lot on issues I had when I was trying to create destructible stock GHG sensor, even if it didn't have it's own 3D mode l(only bone)...
Your transparent dat 3D mesh solved the problem...
Do you remember?
Yep, I do. In that case it was easy understanding what was wrong, because we wanted to make something which had no physical properties in game, into something which can get broken. This case is different because that gun has nothing strange compared to other guns modelled in game

EDIT

I feel today we are moving a step forward in understanding what is broken with that gun. The asymmetry of the bug tells me that it must connceted with gun's geometry, and the only asymmetrical componenet in its geometry is that dummy bone which, incidentally, is player's camera-related... If only I could move it...
Old 02-24-16, 04:28 PM   #30
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
If only I could move it...
The force you must use...