SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-14, 06:48 PM   #1
Andross2000
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default A Time Bug

Hello subsim! [first post woo!]

I been playing the Steam version of SH3 for a while now, and suddenly I have ran into a bug.
Basically, when I load my savegame, I'm in the middle of the North Sea, my clock reads 08:23. Daytime.

But then if I tab-out, come back in...or use time compression...then it turns to night time. Even if the clock still reads 08:23. Weird right?

EXTRA DETAILS
**This is also a savegame I have only just reloaded up after a few years. I had a bug in the savefile that didn't let me save, so I didn't play SH3 for a long time. Now I have a new system, and have just loaded this up.
**I like to play in real time a lot (do IRL things on the side), and used time compression in the beginning, but once I was past Sweden, I went to realtime.
**Time might be flipped. I was doing some tests...I start at the 08:23 time...and use time compression. Turns Night time. At about 14:30, it turns daytime again. It's daytime at midnight.
**My game time says Sept. 7th, 1939, 08:32, while my save file says Sept. 1st, 1939. This was the same day where I think I ran into the bug on my old system of not being able to save. Have tried to mess around saving on new days/etc. but to no avail. Still says Sept. 1. Only shows actual date if I abandon mission. Ex: "Sept 7th, 1939, In base after mission".

Hope I have not made anything more confusing.

Has anyone else any experience in this bug?
How messed up is my game?
SYSTEM
I'm using Win7 x64
Nvidia 560 Ti
8GB RAM
i5 3570K @ 3.40 GHz
Just got SSD as well. Though game is installed on other drive.

I might just have to reinstall & create a brand new save or something.
If nobody can solve this, but this becomes a google search, know you are not alone!
Andross2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 07:58 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I think it might be because the save was made on your old system. Usually you can not run saves from past installs on new installs. Most of the time they will not load and just crash. You are lucky that it actually loads up. I would just delete it and start a new career myself.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 08:00 PM   #3
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM

I would have to agree with HW3 on this one.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 11:24 PM   #4
Andross2000
Nub

ty for quick responses surprised a game this old still has active forums

Sounds like all the evidence I've given truly seems to point to that, eh? haha, OK then, I will be uninstalling, and starting from scratch. It just may be the greatest time to let it go and start anew.

If it persists, will post again.

Thx again lads
Old 05-09-14, 03:49 AM   #5
Andross2000
Nub

UPDATE:
So I reinstalled.
Made new save.
Was Great.

But.
Left it on in real time when I went to work today. I was on the bridge. Came home... Clock read 22:00, but it was still daytime. At ~23:00 it turned night. Then at ~10:00 it turned to daytime.

My clock.
Is screwy.
Is this a problem with the Steam version or is it just me?

About halfway through the North Sea...once again it looks like time is a little screwy. Even sway'd from a corrupt save. Maybe it's a problem with playing in realtime? Maybe it's a bug while playing in realtime for too long? Maybe the realtime clock is fast? Lol

EDIT:
or MAYBE it relates to the skybox not calibrating with the time when I'm TABBED-out? I DO play tabbed-out sometimes, and just let the game run. In fact, while my lads were sailing past Norway last night, I was watching a documentary on YouTube...TABBED out. Time seems to be off by 4 hours or so...and I can discern that was the amount of time, more or less, that I was tabbed out during this campaign.

Maybe this is the reason for the bug? Maybe being tabbed out relates to my game time not calibrating with the skybox?

Last edited by Andross2000; 05-09-14 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 11:20 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

When people tried to do celestial navigation they noticed that the clock and timezone didn't always add up after reloading saves. So there does seem to be a bug in it. I don't know the details of it anymore. You'd have to search threads on this topic. But it would be with any stock SH3 then, not specifically the Steam version.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 12:28 PM   #7
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Your game clock will always show the time at the port you left from, not where you are at present. It does not adjust for crossing time zones.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 01:28 PM   #8
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

i am experiencing something similar

the game clock and outside world are way out of sync, base-time does not explain it

22:10 in game (base wilhelmshaven) and its a clear blue day outside, just off Gibraltar.

never ever had anything like this on my old system but i got Sh3 GWX3 on my new win 8 computer and this bug is turning up.

any ideas?
would it be possible to modify game time in the files or would i likely wreck my installation with that?