SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-22, 05:14 PM   #1
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default A/C flights

not sure if i have seen this question posted and if it has then i apologize for the duplication.

how are aircraft (a/c) deployed during a career mission?
by that i mean, what prompts a sortie?
are a/c sortied from both a CVA and an airbase with regularity?
or
is the sortie only because the player-sub has been detected, with course and speed noted for future patrols?

next, should it be assumed that an a/c sortie begins at an existing airbase AND that the a/c is limited by the range indicated in the Cfg files or is there some Ubi-secret-file of extended ranges, armament, etc that come into play?

i have some follow-ups but they are contingent on the answers to the above.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 10:02 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The CV "AirBase" seemingly usually only generates airplanes upon player detection, but I have encountered Zeroes out in the middle of nowhere, in advance of a Task Force, so they might do the same "search" algorithm of the regular AirBase also. But there is no CAP over groups... There should be. The AirBase is controlled by the AirStrike.cfg file, and they do send airplanes out at predetermined intervals. Again, there should be CAPs over AirBases, but there isn't. I have no idea how they decide on the planes to choose to send out, nor the direction to send them. There is the AirStrike probability though that generates them, and it runs the chance based upon the "Logic Steps" math. If your submarine happens to be spotted, that increases the odds of an airplane response, but directed more toward the player's position. But as with the guns, there is an "angle of error" factor that might send them out a few degrees off of your location, which sometimes puts them right on you. If you send a radio message, the HF/DF is imitated, and you have another response factor increase, etc.

As for "range"..; my impression is that when the say "radius", insinuating that an airplane goes out say 720nm and then returns, my impression is that they are going out more like 1440nm, on a suicide, "oh look, I am out of fuel, but I'll keep going" run... which is why we shortened the ranges in FotRSU considerably, and STILL there are areas with a lot of airplanes, even if the player's boat is never seen... Of course, real life was like that too...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 08:41 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The CV "AirBase" seemingly usually only generates airplanes upon player detection, but I have encountered Zeroes out in the middle of nowhere, in advance of a Task Force, so they might do the same "search" algorithm of the regular AirBase also. But there is no CAP over groups... There should be. The AirBase is controlled by the AirStrike.cfg file, and they do send airplanes out at predetermined intervals. Again, there should be CAPs over AirBases, but there isn't. I have no idea how they decide on the planes to choose to send out, nor the direction to send them. There is the AirStrike probability though that generates them, and it runs the chance based upon the "Logic Steps" math. If your submarine happens to be spotted, that increases the odds of an airplane response, but directed more toward the player's position. But as with the guns, there is an "angle of error" factor that might send them out a few degrees off of your location, which sometimes puts them right on you. If you send a radio message, the HF/DF is imitated, and you have another response factor increase, etc.

As for "range"..; my impression is that when the say "radius", insinuating that an airplane goes out say 720nm and then returns, my impression is that they are going out more like 1440nm, on a suicide, "oh look, I am out of fuel, but I'll keep going" run... which is why we shortened the ranges in FotRSU considerably, and STILL there are areas with a lot of airplanes, even if the player's boat is never seen... Of course, real life was like that too...

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 12:06 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It can be fun to "test", so long as you don't mind losing a sub or two (dozen)... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote