SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-08, 02:29 PM   #316
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
It's nice to see a modder who enjoys posting updates to his work.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 02:31 PM   #317
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoApocalypse
LADS, LADS, LADS, Putting ubisoft to shame, great work,

Dig in, Dig deep,
Now THAT's going too far. Without Ubisoft, you wouldn't need to have a torpedo room. They produced the best submarine simulators in history. BY FAR. And they made them moddable. They didn't have to do that. Mikhayl, Tomi, the GW and all the other modders can only do what they do because Ubi made it possible.

Now explain why they should be shamed. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 03:03 PM   #318
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

I suppose EgoApocalypse meant modders are doing some great job on the foundations laid by the SH4 dev team.
@ EA : remember, all modders are actually able to do their best cause they do not have to meet a deadline... :hmm:
Old 12-05-08, 03:39 PM   #319
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The only ones who take more abuse than GWX and lately RFB have been the devs and Ubi. These people are all working to give you the best submarine simulator that they can! Give all of them a break. Or better yet, offer your help. I am crash test dummy for RFB and the Zoo Keeper's Mod Team over at Ubi Forums. Just being on the edges of the development of these mods will give you a new appreciation for the law of unintended consequences!:rotfl: These are ones and zeroes, not submarines they are working with and it's not easy to make them think they are a submarine.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 04:15 PM   #320
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
These are ones and zeroes, not submarines they are working with and it's not easy to make them think they are a submarine.
Good words, and true. I have to remind myself of that sometimes, as I've never been able to learn to read those languages, much less make them do what I want, and it's easy to get frustrated when it doesn't work, and to forget that it doesn't work because I don't understand it, not because they did anything wrong.
Old 12-06-08, 07:04 AM   #321
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
Many think that animation work is easy.
Or doing all the lighting required.
That's simply not true!

Many things HAVE to be done by Hex editing alone!
S3D, as good as it is?
Just will not accept somethings.
That's just the way it works.

Now can we PLEASE just try to get along together?
i found this info in the s3d thread:
Don't expect v1.0 soon though, my time is still somewhat limited, so it will take at least a month. But I aim to include the last few things I had planned, a zones editor and import/export of mesh animations, as these are things that are halfway complete by now.

my hint is: why working hard on animations atm, if they can be done in a faster way after v1.0 of s3d is out? in your position, i would finish the modelling work and put in the animation later.

and second: mikhayl is starting the typVII rooms, right? i think some of our german visitors living near kiel should go to u995 in laboe and make tons of detailed photos for mikhayl. good photos are the basic for a good model, right?
Old 12-06-08, 09:13 AM   #322
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Man...I can't wait to take tot he seas in a fully tricked out Type II!
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 11:02 AM   #323
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Location: The system might fail you. But dont fail youself...................
Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I suppose EgoApocalypse meant modders are doing some great job on the foundations laid by the SH4 dev team.
@ EA : remember, all modders are actually able to do their best cause they do not have to meet a deadline... :hmm:
Jeez guys didnt mean to start a debate, Thanks Alex, I know that there is deadlines, I just meant that its a shame that Ubisoft cant do this stuff in the begining and its left up to EXECELLENT modders, Who have to do this on there own time.

Ubisoft have made the best SUBSIM game and they also make other great games.

EgoApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:31 PM   #324
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

You're welcome, mate, there's absolutely no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoApocalypse
Jeez guys didnt mean to start a debate, Thanks Alex, I know that there is deadlines, I just meant that its a shame that Ubisoft cant do this stuff in the begining and its left up to EXCELLENT modders, Who have to do this on there own time.
Here I must say I disagree with you.
And honestly I'm very happy the SH4 dev team has released a perfectible game.
With a perfect game, would we all be there now ? Would there be modding teams and friends here ? I don't think so.

The human side of things is the most important one, in my humble opinion that is.
Old 12-06-08, 11:24 PM   #325
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
If the mod ever comes to life it may not even be for SH4, but anyway yes pictures would be much appreciated both for detailing and even some "photorealistic" texturing. RobbieRob posted the most excellent pictures of U-995 I've seen yet in the SH3 forum, hi-res with lots of small details, lovely. The more the better, if I don't do anything with them someone else will anyway
I have a whole bunch of very good interior pics of the U-995, so let me know if ever want them.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 12:35 AM   #326
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
To all concerned Parties.

The Grey Wolves, as a whole,
asked Tomi to join us as a 3D Model Artist.

At NO point in time did The team DEMAND he surrender this work to us!

In fact?
Part of his joining The GW Team was a request from Tomi.
That We help him complete his vision of this mod.
We agreed to do so!
With no restrictions on what Tomi does with it when done!
That is, and will remain his choice.

Will it be in GWX4?
Well HECK YES!!

So everyone can rest easy.
And the worries can end.

What you need to wonder about is this.
If Tomi and The GW Team can pull this off?
What is in store for you that you DON'T know about?

Now let's not get 'GrimWarhawk' all wound up ok?
:rotfl:
cool may I hug the team...?

and is there any way to animate the torps entering the tubes, i'm leaning on no because it would take you tieing it to the reload plus the difficulty...but I don't know how much difficulty is a factor for the great tomi...

Last edited by gimpy117; 12-07-08 at 12:38 AM.
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 10:31 AM   #327
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

A full torpedo loading sequence probably takes too much system/gfx resources, when it's added to the already current system load. Remember, the game was not designed for a full interior, so when a full interior gets created, even a static one, will already add to the overall system load. Alot more needs to be drawn. When dozens of animations are also introduced, it may become unplayable. Only way to find out, is keep building and see how many systems go up in smoke down the line...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 10:53 AM   #328
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
A full torpedo loading sequence probably takes too much system/gfx resources, when it's added to the already current system load. Remember, the game was not designed for a full interior, so when a full interior gets created, even a static one, will already add to the overall system load. Alot more needs to be drawn. When dozens of animations are also introduced, it may become unplayable. Only way to find out, is keep building and see how many systems go up in smoke down the line...
okay I see
so even if you weren't in the room, and it was separated, it would still render it as well??
so what I'm saying is that Sh4 has no engine provisions for not rendering places your not in or, such as not rendering the conning tower when you're in the command room

Last edited by gimpy117; 12-07-08 at 10:55 AM.
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 11:27 AM   #329
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Yes and no. Currently, the rooms are seperated (stock) and the game only renders the one you are in, but when a mod like this ties them all together then it's very much possible that a limit is reached at some point. That limit is undefined... We just don't know what the engine and our systems can handle. And although modern day GFX cards can distinguish invisible parts quite well themselfs without any optimization, it will always do more than it may have to at any giving point if the engine keeps doing unnecessary draw calls.

Animations add alot of overhead, as each frame is a new mesh slightly altered from the previous one. They all need to be loaded/cached at some point to allow smooth playback...

Mikhayl, lightmaps do not really add alot of performance hit, but lights do. They require extra passes (one or more per light), while lightmaps are blended with the diffuse in a single pass. That's why lightmaps were invented.

Last edited by skwasjer; 12-07-08 at 11:36 AM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 11:30 PM   #330
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

hmm...oh well...