SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-22, 11:29 PM   #1
BrendaEM
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Post - Take 2?

Hi,

[I had created a membership, and did a post. My post and membership disappeared for some reason? Anyway...]

I have been watching Wolfpack's development. As someone who has done a fair amount of 3D design, I am impressed with Wolfpack.

Both myself and a friend are interested in the game. I will likely get Wolfpack as soon as 0.26 is out beta.

My only critique of Wolfpack, graphically is that in places the interior textures looks a little too old for a sub, that toward the end of the war--would have a 75% chance of being replaced by a new one. I understand it needs not to look new. I suspect that when you started, you needed more grit for realism, but now that you have so much there, perhaps you can new it up a bit.

In one project, I used a brush bumpmap to give surfaces a paint-brushed look. The look would likely give a little tooth to the interior, without distressing it. Though, it would not be appropriate for instrumentation, just hull and bulkheads, and a little goes a long way. Something like this:

I had another idea: a live, walk-by navigation map. In other words, as the navigator makes changes to the map, a low resolution image could be sent to the other players, so that the map could become the water cooler of the sub, where players could stand around cursing the enemy.
BrendaEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 08:11 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Thanks for posting. We have tried to balance the interior design between gritty and lived in and fully functional from the dockyards.

Currently, the map is sharable between players, so anything one player marks is visible to the others, except when using sketch mode.

Give us a shout when you dive in, would love to hear your take on playing the game, the interfaces, and the AI.

Neal
SUBSIM
Old 08-05-22, 11:28 AM   #3
Lignite
Watch

Downloads: 4

I had a similar thought to the map (as in: water cooler gathering place), but after playing Wolfpack a fair bit, I find that running the map in any sort of useful fashion is actually one of the most difficult aspects of the game. I find that a few players are Really good at it and it is fantastic to watch and learn from them, and most players are Really poor at it, and need significantly more practice to put something useful up on the map. Just my experience, as one of the guys that is really poor at helping with the map (stuff happens SO FAST).

Also, no need to wait for .26beta to go mainstream, it is quite stable and functional, just dive in, it really is as good as it looks (better, even).
Old 08-05-22, 11:48 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

BrendaEM!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 02:41 AM   #5
BrendaEM
Mate

What I thought would be cool, is that instead of a placeholder map--whenever a player updated the map, it would be visible to anyone who could see the mapping table. Basically, it would be almost a live map on the table. If it had enough resolution (resolution VS bandwidth) others might be able to learn.

It would also be a dynamic element in the interior.

Like this:

https://programm.ard.de/sendungsbild...l_Daccord.JPEG

(Thank you for the welcomes.)
Old 08-07-22, 07:29 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The map on the table is live and everyone can see what lines and marks have been made, just click the map table or press M.
Old 08-08-22, 08:19 PM   #7
BrendaEM
Mate

What I meant/wanted is for the map to updated, viewable anywhere in the line of sight, just like, well, a map.