SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-23, 10:12 AM   #4486
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1916 The German ambassador in Washington announces that Germany will pay an indemnity for American lives lost on the Lusitania.

1916 The US rejects the right of Germany and Austria-Hungary to sink armed merchant ships.

1923 Howard Carter opens the inner burial chamber of Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb and finds the sarcophagus.

1940 British search plane finds German supply ship Altmark, used to accommodate allied sailors from vessels sunk by the Graf Spee off Norway.

1942 Bangka Island massacre: Japanese soldiers machine-gun 22 Australian Army nurses and 60 Australian and British soldiers and crew members from two sunken ships. Only one nurse and two soldiers survive.

1942 German submarines attack Aruba oil refinery.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 12:16 PM   #4487
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
1916 The US rejects the right of Germany and Austria-Hungary to sink armed merchant ships.
I've noticed of late: a great deal of "diplomacy " involves rejecting or reserving so-called rights...IE: China has recently rejected our right to shoot down its spy balloons over US territory and so forth under there right of 'force majeure" formerly known as 'right of 'innocent passage'??!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-23, 10:42 AM   #4488
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Post any interesting event that happens on or near today's date. Since we're all the end-users of the historic events that get us to the moment of posting in this forum, try to point out how such an event may have personally affected, afflicted, or otherwise influenced your existence on the spinning mudball...humor is emphasized??!
A case in point:1864: The Union ship, USS Housatonic is sunk by an electrically detonated spar-charge of a black-powder device in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina by the Confederate hand-cranked submarine, HL Hunley, in the first naval attack of its kind; the Hunley also sank with all 8 crew members. Submarine warfare evolved from this precise moment in time...factoring hugely in 2 global world wars, and an ongoing nuclear 'cold war'; ultimately giving rise to a 100,000+ membership global forum: ...and here I've been for a decade, at the keyboard, posting in this and other threads...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-17-23, 10:44 AM   #4489
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Happy Forumday Achtung
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-23, 09:21 AM   #4490
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1879 Sculptor Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi is awarded a patent for his design for the Statue of Liberty.

1901 Winston Churchill makes his maiden speech in the British House of Commons.

1943 German Propaganda Minister Josef Goebbells demands "total war" from German citizens in speech at Berlin Sportpalast.

2014 Ukrainian Revolution of 2014 begins as protesters, riot police and unknown shooters take part in violent events in the capital, Kiev, culminating after five days in the ouster of President Viktor Yanukovych.

Old 02-19-23, 09:21 AM   #4491
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 Four-year old Charlotte May Pierstorff mailed by train from Grangeville, Idaho to her grandparents’ house 73 miles away in most famous 'child in the post' instance.

1915 British fleet opens fire on Dardanelles coast.

1942 About 150 Japanese warplanes attack the Australian city of Darwin.

1942 FDR orders detention & internment of all west-coast Japanese-Americans.

1944 U-264 sinks off Ireland.

1945 980 Japanese soldiers reportedly killed by crocodiles in 2 days on Ramree Island, Burma.

1945 US 5th Fleet launches invasion of Iwo Jima against the Japanese with 30,000 US Marines.

1964 UK flies ½ ton of Beatles wigs to the US

Old 02-19-23, 11:16 AM   #4492
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

1945 980 Japanese soldiers reportedly killed by crocodiles in 2 days on Ramree Island, Burma.
'Let's "Nippon these" bellowed one 'croc' to another...!

Old 02-21-23, 01:03 PM   #4493
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1916 World War I: Battle of Verdun begins with a German offensive, leads to an estimated 1 million casualties and becomes the longest battle of the entire war (9 months)

1917 British troopship SS Mendi sinks off Isle of Wight, 646 die.

1945 Battle of Monte Castello (Italy): Allied forces, including the first land battle of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, defeat Germans after three months of fierce fighting in the foothills of the Apennine Mountains.

1965 Civil rights activist and Muslim minister Malcolm X is shot dead by Nation of Islam followers at Audubon Ballroom in New York City.

1995 RAF-pilot Jo Salter is 1st woman to fly in a tornado.

Old 02-22-23, 02:59 PM   #4494
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1797 The Last Invasion of Britain, launched by the French during the Revolutionary Wars, begins near Fishguard, Wales.

1825 Russia & Britain establish Alaska-Canada boundary.

1909 Great White Fleet, 1st US fleet to circle the globe, returns to Virginia.

1912 J Vedrines makes 1st airplane flight over 100 mph-161.29 kph

1915 Germany begins "unrestricted" submarine warfare.

1940 German air force sinks 2 German destroyers, killing 578

1942 World War II: President Franklin Roosevelt orders General Douglas MacArthur out of the Philippines as American defences collapse.

1967 25,000 US and South Vietnamese troops launch Operation Junction City against the Viet Cong. Largest US airborne assault since WWII.

Old 02-22-23, 07:13 PM   #4495
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
'Let's "Nippon these" bellowed one 'croc' to another...!
Now that's a takeaway!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-23-23, 02:30 PM   #4496
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1836 Alamo besieged for 13 days until March 6 by Mexican army under General Santa Anna; entire garrison eventually killed.

1918 First victory of Red Army over the Kaiser's German troops near Narva and Pskov. Since 1923 this date become the Day of Red Army in honour of this victory.

1942 Japanese submarine I-17 fires on oil refinery in Ellwood, California.

1945 US Marines raise American flag on top of Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima. Pulitzer Prize winning photo of which by Joe Rosenthall later became iconic, inspiring the Marine Corps War Memorial sculpture.

1991 US President George H. W. Bush gives Iraq a 24-hour deadline to withdraw from Kuwait or face a ground war.

Old 02-23-23, 05:35 PM   #4497
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1945 US Marines raise American flag on top of Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima. Pulitzer Prize winning photo of which by Joe Rosenthall later became iconic, inspiring the Marine Corps War Memorial sculpture.
Quote:
... and dispatched his assistant operations officer, Lieutenant Ted Tuttle, to the beach to obtain a replacement flag. As an afterthought, Johnson called after Tuttle: "And make it a bigger one."
PICs or it didn't happen! https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3134

When it comes to victorious flag raising on mountain tops..."size matters!"

Old 02-23-23, 06:01 PM   #4498
Red Devil
The Old Man

th guy on this side of the camera is, if I recall correctly, Ira Hayes, (I could be wrong). there was a docum on Discovery a couple of years ago about him. He was an indian.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-23-23, 06:08 PM   #4499
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There is a famous movie called Flag of our Fathers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_..._Fathers_(film)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-23, 12:17 PM   #4500
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
th guy on this side of the camera is, if I recall correctly, Ira Hayes, (I could be wrong). there was a docum on Discovery a couple of years ago about him. He was an indian.
Ira Hayes is in the right background and is one of the gents raising the vertical flag. The group in the foreground is lowering the first smaller flag. The famous photo had just been taken seconds before by another photographer.