SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-13, 05:49 PM   #1
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1
Default I finally bought it...

Last week I finally decided to buy this game. It was a tough decision for its high price, but I did it.
I've only had time to play it long yesterday and these are my first impressions:

But first, my background, so you can better understand my experience in this kind of games and why I say what I say:

- I'm mostly subsim player, SHI, AOD, SHII, SHIII, Red Storm Rising, Sub Command, Dangerous Waters... I like other sims, like Operation Flashpoint and mostly modern aircraft ones, but never had enough time to master them. I'm always back to the sea.

- As for strategy games, well, Civilization ones, Steel Panthers World at war, Hearts of Iron and, the most, Total War games.
I tried to play Harpoon many years ago; I was too young and didn't have the military knowledge I have now, nor the patience to learn the game, so I can't compare CA with it.

As you can see, I'm not an expert, but I'm an average military sims player.

Another important thing: the game price makes you look at it with sharp eyes, things that wouldn't be important in other situation become a HUGE issue here.

Here it goes:

1) Buy and download (digital version): ok. easy to do, fast to download. Install time a bit long but ok. The update message arrived and downloaded properly.

2) Manual... I don't understand why the "print version" has the dark background... ink waste, not going to print it. An epub version would be much appreciated so I could read it on my ebook reader (6'' is not enough for a pdf).
Is comprehensive, but not too deep. Some points would need a better explanation about why would you like to do something instead of just describing what buttons do.

3) The game itself. I've played the air attack tutorial and half of the submarine one.
In the air attack tutorial I received the message of several planes crashing because out of fuel... but they were supposed be back to base already and the icons disappeared (and by the way they turned back automatically).

3.1) Interface. Good, I like it apart from some things (later). I'm not having much problems finding things. The tutorial is well explained.
3.1.1) The icon set is what it is... but I missed the option of different ones. Yes, there's available to download one more clear for "non hardcore" but... here it comes, for the price, this should come by default. And no only two choices, but several.
3.1.2) Database. Big, full of data... too much... but lack of the basics. Why not photos? Or schemes, or drawings? I know you can download them separately but, yes, for the money...
I miss too a small description of the units and weapons to be able to use them better. A huge thing considering the size of the database? Yes, but for the money...
3.1.3) Log. Good, many details... too many. I would love an option of simplified log; I prefer a "Goblin3 hit by AA sidewinder missile" message, rather than the two lines full of details, but hard to read in the core of battle.
3.1.4) Window layout. Not bad, but I would like more modularity.

3.2) Sound. *cough* Well, there are some... and they do the job, but they are too few.
I would love some voices too. Today TTS is very common and with good quality. Having the option of receiving some useful messages via voice, kind of "Slighshot team take off", or "Sonar contact" would improve the game a lot, allow you to focus on other things and not have to look the log all the time.

3.3) Playing: Great. I liked it a lot. With the more "real" icon set the game seems more like a real battleground.
The submarine managing (my "field of expertise"), is at some points better than with DW in the way that you feel like a real sub commander just giving orders, the crew is competent and they don't run aground the sub even if you order a depth deeper than sea botton. Crew messages about contacts and status change are also great (although sometimes I receive too many "no change" messages). Reports of enemy flooding are also great (and a great lack in DW).

4) Overall: Great game, it really is. Full of details, deep, the whole world is your scenario... I've only scratch the surface of it.
What would I add? A dynamic campaign... is a MUST in any game than want to make the difference.
The creators of the game are always ready to answer and are very kind. Looks like they listen and are working fast on improving the game.

That said, again (sorry) for the money, it lacks in many aspects. For 40 or even 50€ I would say this game is perfect, for 78€ I'm afraid is not. If everything goes as the creators say, it will.

As a general and personal consideration, I would say that no computer game worth paying 80€... unless it's more than a computer game. This game has the possibility of being both a tactical (and even strategical) wargame and a commander simulator (thanks to micromanaging).
And with proper descriptions and photos in the database, also a military encyclopedia.

Reading it back it all seems negative, but I'm just pointing out the negative things. The overall experience is great. I would give it an 8.5/10.

I hope I explained good myself... and not bore you!!

Last edited by FERdeBOER; 10-18-13 at 05:59 PM.
FERdeBOER is offline   Reply With Quote