SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-22, 03:48 PM   #4741
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I haven't played FOTRSU for months and now in version 1.7p3 I see some yellow(vertical) and purple lines on the nav map.What exactly are these?
PB can give you the long-version-schematics....

one of the lines is the International Date Line.
The others are visual representations of the administrative divisions for Submarine Operations: SoWesPac, CentPac, etc.

hope that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 04:39 PM   #4742
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB can give you the long-version-schematics....

one of the lines is the International Date Line.
The others are visual representations of the administrative divisions for Submarine Operations: SoWesPac, CentPac, etc.

hope that helps.

Thanks Kaleun
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 09:59 PM   #4743
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
is there a Q-ship in the Japanese FOTRSU inventory?
If you look in the Museum at the Japan nation, there is an "Aux Cruiser Aikoku Class" that files a Japanese naval war flag, which has multiple guns basically out in the open. A little further down the list is a "Cargo-Passenger Freighter, aka: "JP Aux Cruiser", that has a gun on the bow sprit, and another on the after deck. Look closer, and you'll see two bigger guns hidden in slots on each side of the ship, one forward quarter, one after quarter, which might be considered a "Q" ship, but some would argue that it's not, because it flies the Japanese naval war flag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I haven't played FOTRSU for months and now in version 1.7p3 I see some yellow(vertical) and purple lines on the nav map.What exactly are these?
The purple line is the International Date Line, as KM mentions, but the red lines are what shows the divide between Northern Pacific, CenPac, SoWestPac and southern Pacific areas. The yellow lines are 15 degrees apart from each other, and denote where the time zones would be, approximately, geographically, not the way man draws them with all the zig-zags of a convoy dodging land masses... We've been debating how to put the letter designations in for the +10 or -11 designations, such as "K" time, etc., and have not come up with anything acceptable yet... All of those lines are only visible at certain zoom levels on the NavMap.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 02:48 PM   #4744
Berneri
Swabbie

Downloads: 133
Default Max depth 1000 metres

It appears that the NSS_.*.cfg files are all set up at a max depth of 1000 metres, as shown here:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=18.3;meters
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=80;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=40;meters
StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

[Properties]
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters

Or the porpoise:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=17.0;meters
SnorkelDepth=11.5;meters
CrashDepth=48.8;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6.4;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=33.52;meters
StormConditions=11,0.2;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]
Berneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 02:55 PM   #4745
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you look in the Museum at the Japan nation, there is an "Aux Cruiser Aikoku Class" that files a Japanese naval war flag, which has multiple guns basically out in the open. A little further down the list is a "Cargo-Passenger Freighter, aka: "JP Aux Cruiser", that has a gun on the bow sprit, and another on the after deck. Look closer, and you'll see two bigger guns hidden in slots on each side of the ship, one forward quarter, one after quarter, which might be considered a "Q" ship, but some would argue that it's not, because it flies the Japanese naval war flag...
i can't find this bugger in either the Roster folder or the Sea folder.
i see the two names you have referenced above in the \Roster\Names.Cfg but i cannot find the actual ship files.
more interested in the "Cargo-Passenger Freighter, aka: "JP Aux Cruiser".

LAA enabled
Old 06-14-22, 03:04 PM   #4746
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berneri View Post
It appears that the NSS_.*.cfg files are all set up at a max depth of 1000 metres, as shown here:

[Properties]
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=80;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters

[Properties]
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters

Or the porpoise:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=17.0;meters
SnorkelDepth=11.5;meters
CrashDepth=48.8;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6.4;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=33.52;meters
StormConditions=11,0.2;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]
I don't have a clue what you are quoting for the first two examples there. 80 meters equals roughly 250 feet. The submarine crushes at that MaxDepth. An 80 setting would be appropriate for an S-Boat, but the V-Boats had test depths of 350 feet, and were known to have gone much deeper. You don't want your submarine crushing before an acceptable depth. Most of the FotRSU sub settings are rather generous to the player. FotRSU is not for the die-hard "realist" sub simmer, especially since SH4 is rather short on being capable of doing that anyway. If the player drives their boat like they were intended, you don't have to worry about sudden death from crossing that "magic" line. You will encounter breaking glass and other damage well in advance of that 1000 meters, which is when the game ends. Notice also that the "test depth" lines on the depth gauges were removed. The fuel usage is very economical (I wish my Buick got such good gas mileage), the boats ride real smooth on the sea, and a hundred-plus other little thingies in the mod and game that are not "realistic", including the rivet count on the after deck of the Salmon / Sargo... if that's what you're pointing out.

Old 06-14-22, 03:08 PM   #4747
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
i see the two names you have referenced above in the \Roster\Names.Cfg but i cannot find the actual ship files.
Don't know if this is helpful, but yesterday I sank a "Cargo-Passenger Freighter". The name came up as the ID on the Torpedo thingy, what ever it is called. The one that lets you set depth, speed, and detonator type.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 03:16 PM   #4748
propbeanie

Quote:
The Auxiliary Aikoku is in the Roster as
[UnitClass]
ClassName=NAuxCru
UnitType=18
AppearanceDate=19380101
DisappearanceDate=19470101
DisplayName=JP Auxiliary Cruiser Aikoku
Which is in the Data/Sea/NAuxCru folder

While the JP Aux Cruiser is
[UnitClass]
ClassName=JPAuxCruiser
UnitType=13
AppearanceDate=19391130
DisappearanceDate=19470101
DisplayName=JP Armed Merchant
and in the Data/Sea/NAMJP folder

When you look in the Roster Names.cfg, you "find" the name, then use the left side of the line to find the Roster name, then the Roster cfg file to find the actual folder - unless it is something obvious, but a lot of SH4 is NOT obvious, of course... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Don't know if this is helpful, but yesterday I sank a "Cargo-Passenger Freighter". The name came up as the ID on the Torpedo thingy, what ever it is called. The one that lets you set depth, speed, and detonator type.
That's the 2nd bugger above there... do NOT engage while on the surface... No, wait, that's the Ansyu Maru... nevermind. Docile, other than the usual deck guns... strike that... lol

Old 06-14-22, 04:14 PM   #4749
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
and in the Data/Sea/NAMJP folder
THAT is why i couldn't find it: NAMJP is counter-intuitive when looking for a Cargo-Passenger Freighter aka Aux Cruiser.

@#$%^&*-Ubi.

thanks, PB.

p.s. The Cargo-Passenger-Freighter shows up on sonar/radar as a warship. So much for being surprised by a Q-ship.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 06-14-22 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 10:56 PM   #4750
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default New variation on the Ghost Ship bug?

USS Gato, ex-Midway, en route to ECS assignment, on 4/19/43 @ 2030 encountered and sank a solitary Horai Maru moving at 7 kts ESE, location 47km, 109 degrees from the central pier at Miyazaki. We received no credit, nor was there a sinking marker on the map.

The only other Horai we had recently encountered was part of a four-ship convoy 150 km to the NE over 18 hours earlier. I've not seen this happen in both a group and solitary before. Is this something else?

Also note the unusual speed for a Horai.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 03:20 AM   #4751
Berneri
Swabbie

Quote:
I don't have a clue what you are quoting for the first two examples there. 80 meters equals roughly 250 feet.
Hi, first off, thanks for the mod, it’s great.

The first one, is from the new Narwhal cfg file, while the second is for the Fotrsu Narwhal. I thought that the spoiler HTML would identify it, apparently it does not.

What you write is interesting, because I recall being able to go deeper than 250 ft in a new Narwhal, (went to 350 ft - 400 ft without a hitch). Indeed, after changing that, I had damage occurring at around 520 ft, with destruction of the sub at around 560 - 580 ft for the Narwhal. Obviously, a Balao goes deeper before being destructed.

Anyway, I understand the rationale behind your settings, I was only surprised at first because the warning that pops up in the upper right corner of the screen when we go beyond test depth didn’t show up, so I went and saw that. And I had to ask.

Also, my post wasn’t intended as a critique or a complaint about realism or lack thereof with the game –or the mod–: it was only a question regarding this discrepancy.

Last edited by Berneri; 06-15-22 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 08:01 AM   #4752
propbeanie

Quote:
THAT is why i couldn't find it: NAMJP is counter-intuitive when looking for a Cargo-Passenger Freighter aka Aux Cruiser.

@#$%^&*-Ubi.

thanks, PB.

p.s. The Cargo-Passenger-Freighter shows up on sonar/radar as a warship. So much for being surprised by a Q-ship.
The 'secret' is in the Names.cfg leading you to the Roster file, which leads to the Sea folder... but yes, "naming" looks to be an attempt to confuse the player - "no noodling in our files!!!"... - btw, the Notepad "Search" (Find) will not find most of what you are looking for in Names.cfg. You have to use something like Notepad++ or the 010 Editor and their "RegEx Search" functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
USS Gato, ex-Midway, en route to ECS assignment, on 4/19/43 @ 2030 encountered and sank a solitary Horai Maru moving at 7 kts ESE, location 47km, 109 degrees from the central pier at Miyazaki. We received no credit, nor was there a sinking marker on the map.

The only other Horai we had recently encountered was part of a four-ship convoy 150 km to the NE over 18 hours earlier. I've not seen this happen in both a group and solitary before. Is this something else?

Also note the unusual speed for a Horai.
That is partly the nature of a Random Generic Group (RGG) where the call is for a GENERIC ship. You are stuck with a speed setting for the slowest common denominator, which in the game is 9 knots for the cargo ships, and generally 12 knots for passenger. We have been tempted multiple times to split the Merchant and Convoy files into real "fast" and "slow" groups, and have the ships themselves grouped that way, but alas, that is a LOT of work, besides the fact that we do not have an easy way to group the ships, since we used all of the Type= designations a long time ago... Of note here though, is that the two Merchant groups that spawn at Miyazaki do NOT have any calls for a passenger ship of any sort, nor does the lone Convoy group... None of the Troopship groups sail anywhere near there. All of the HarborTraffic and other groups that sail the area or are docked, are either Sampans, Patrol, Cargo or Tanker classes... So where your Horai came from is a mystery also.

As for not seeing a "sunk" icon, that is a pinch different. Even a storm-damage sinking will show a "sunk" icon. At 20km from Miyazaki, you are in deep enough water for a full "kill" sinking, even if it was a ship previously sunk that respawned - unless it hadn't fully sunk yet ("Actually, I'm feeling much better now, thank you!")... The Horai is a Stock game ship, so should not (in theory) have any issues. We'll try to do some more digging on this.

Quote:
Hi, first off, thanks for the mod, it’s great.

The first one, is from the new Narwhal cfg file, while the second is for the Fotrsu Narwhal. I thought that the spoiler HTML would identify it, apparently it does not.

What you write is interesting, because I recall being able to go deeper than 250 ft in a new Narwhal, (went to 350 ft - 400 ft without a hitch). Indeed, after changing that, I had damage occurring at around 520 ft, with destruction of the sub at around 560 - 580 ft for the Narwhal. Obviously, a Balao goes deeper before being destructed.

Anyway, I understand the rationale behind your settings, I was only surprised at first because the warning that pops up in the upper right corner of the screen when we go beyond test depth didn’t show up, so I went and saw that. And I had to ask.

Also, my post wasn’t intended as a critique or a complaint about realism or lack thereof with the game –or the mod–: it was only a question regarding this discrepancy.
I understand about not attempting to complain about the realism factor, and I am sorry, I did take it that way. - It is quite irritating that a person has to "name=" the Spoiler tags when posting, but they do not display in the posting (?? why ?? - lol). The FotRSU original Narwhal (the TMO pseudo-Narwhal), which is basically a Sargo with Narwhal-style settings, is for now used for the "Argonaut" clone. The "new" Narwhal is an extensively re-worked Bonus Narwhal (used by permission and agreement). The two boats are "built" differently, and those differences do lend to modder confusion when attempting to adjust either...

The game is full of "real life" tagged settings, that have no attachment to reality, and no bearing on real-life measurements. If you drive a boat around FotRSU, you will notice the "Range" looks good initially, and we were rather proud of hitting the "target" for that, and not completely trashing all of the battery re-charge settings. However, as you drive the boat further and further, it seems to use less and less fuel, yet the range given does not coincide with the fuel level (bad math somewhere in the function?). It might be one reason the function is not enabled in the Stock game, or perhaps the devs ran out of time to test it fully - or perhaps we're mis-using it - But running out of fuel because of that erroring the other way would not be cool. Each of the settings for a submarine influence other factors, besides what is being adjusted, including that "MaxDepth". Better stability with these "settings" are a "target" of ours (again) for the future.

Old 06-15-22, 08:25 AM   #4753
Berneri
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propbeanie
I understand about not attempting to complain about the realism factor, and I am sorry, I did take it that way.
No worries, rest assured, though, that I wouldn’t dare to critize you and the modders work here. This is outstanding, besides, I understand that you work within a constrained framework that you cannot change (the hardcoded codebase).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propbeanie
Each of the settings for a submarine influence other factors, besides what is being adjusted, including that "MaxDepth". Better stability with these "settings" are a "target" of ours (again) for the future.
It would be intersting in having at least schematics on how settings influence each others, like a UML chart. I guess this needs to be reversed engineered.
Old 06-15-22, 08:47 AM   #4754
propbeanie

Quote:
It would be intersting in having at least schematics on how settings influence each others, like a UML chart. I guess this needs to be reversed engineered.
It would have been nice if Ubi would have released a "Modder's Pack" or "Modders GUI" or whatever they wanted to call it, that showed the minimum and maximum for each setting, and especially what those settings corresponded to (seconds? hours? nautical miles?) and influence. Some of the files do show little "comments", like "Setting=0.1 ; >0" but very few show something like "Setting=0.1 ; >0 <1" or some-such, where you know what not to go beyond. Some of the settings show comments like those, and yet you can in fact use negative values, such as the AI visual on planes being able to "see" your boat below the surface of the water in mods like TMO and FotRSU, but that was discovered by someone (Ducimus??) with much experimentation - he was curious. Most everything known about modding has come from "word-of-mouth" (and technically reverse engineering) (s-shhh! ) from the old-head modders and former devs that used to post here. Sadly, there are only a few of the old-heads still posting, and they know who they are

Old 06-15-22, 11:18 AM   #4755
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Sadly, there are only a few of the old-heads still posting, and they know who they are
What?