SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
gandyrail
Watch
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Command Displays and Message Box to Small

Got SH4 running with Win10 on my laptop.
Everything looks to run ok but the command boxes, rudder, speed, and course; including text box are very small. Screen look great.. is there a solution.
__________________
Gandyrail the Pelican
Retired: engineer railroad construction and maintenance
gandyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral
 
Mad Mardigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi.
Posts: 2,047
Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0


radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandyrail View Post
Got SH4 running with Win10 on my laptop.
Everything looks to run ok but the command boxes, rudder, speed, and course; including text box are very small. Screen look great.. is there a solution.
Desk top... lap top... what is your monitor resolution... what is the make & dimensions of it...???

This info will help.



M. M.
__________________
Mad Mardigan is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
gandyrail
Watch
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default small HUD

Thanks for responding
Running 3140 x 2160 at 60 hz game resolution to get picture full screen
I am using an Asus Q536F Laptop/Notebook
The following from system info:
Device name DESKTOP-05I2P40
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID EACB18E3-9179-4F7D-8B31-7BF9A59F1897
Product ID 00325-81303-33845-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
.....
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎11/‎6/‎2020
OS build 19043.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
....
would like to run with this laptop but SH4 runs on my older ASUS 17" ok .. its a tank of a machine.
__________________
Gandyrail the Pelican
Retired: engineer railroad construction and maintenance
gandyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
gandyrail
Watch
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default

This monitor is 15"
__________________
Gandyrail the Pelican
Retired: engineer railroad construction and maintenance
gandyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Ocean Warrior
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Posts: 2,748
Downloads: 379
Uploads: 17


Default Command Displays and Message Box Too Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandyrail View Post
Got SH4 running with Win10 on my laptop.
Everything looks to run ok but the command boxes, rudder, speed, and course; including text box are very small. Screen look great.. is there a solution.
jumping in here.....

what you call the command box sounds like where your orders display.
you can move that box by clicking on the little X and dragging it around the screen to wherever you want it to go.
you can also make it taller, vertically, by placing your mouse on either the top edge or bottom edge and clicking and dragging up (or down).
there is a limit to its size and you will see that when the box ceases to become taller.

as far as the compass, EOT (engine order telegraph), and the depth gauge are concerned, the mod set you are playing determines their size. some mod sets have additional mods for larger gauges. Capn Scurvy made a bunch of mods for various mod sets. Search the DOWNLOADS forum for a larger gauges mod for whatever mod set you are playing.

good luck, Herr Kaleun!

__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortiter et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
gandyrail
Watch
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Small text box

Herr Kaleun;
the text Im talking about is like when I get a contact or airplane. It shows time when we dive etc. I really need to get that larger
The rudder, heading, and engine speed are ok being small
Im ok with the square buttons being small although I have trouble reading the marks on them. I want to read the text for the time info it gives me.
most of the commands I will find keyboard shortcuts and reach for the mouse a little as possible.
Thanks for responding. Nice to know about the mods That might provide some solution.
I'm looking at the data files and see a font...might play with fonts size there.
__________________
Gandyrail the Pelican
Retired: engineer railroad construction and maintenance
gandyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: One hour from Music City USA!
Posts: 8,469
Downloads: 397
Uploads: 1


Default

Is that a 4:3 ratio? Pick a lower resolution in the game's Graphic Settings from the Options menu. I have a 17"ws monitor at 1920x1080 on my laptop, and that is almost too small... of course, older eyes and all, but still. I do not notice any difference in display "quality" though, between it and the older 17"ws laptop at 1600x900, except in the text size.
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
KaleunMarco
Ocean Warrior
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Posts: 2,748
Downloads: 379
Uploads: 17


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandyrail View Post
Herr Kaleun;
the text Im talking about is like when I get a contact or airplane. It shows time when we dive etc. I really need to get that larger
The rudder, heading, and engine speed are ok being small
Im ok with the square buttons being small although I have trouble reading the marks on them. I want to read the text for the time info it gives me.
most of the commands I will find keyboard shortcuts and reach for the mouse a little as possible.
Thanks for responding. Nice to know about the mods That might provide some solution.
I'm looking at the data files and see a font...might play with fonts size there.
ah, yes, we are referring to the same thing.
i told you how to make the box larger however, i am unaware of how to make the FONT larger.
not sure anyone has had success with that.
BTW, i understand exactly how you feel as you try to the small fonts.
__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortiter et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral
 
Mad Mardigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi.
Posts: 2,047
Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0


radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ah, yes, we are referring to the same thing.
i told you how to make the box larger however, i am unaware of how to make the FONT larger.
not sure anyone has had success with that.
BTW, i understand exactly how you feel as you try to the small fonts.
My solution... get a bigger widescreen monitor...

I have an Emerson 50 incher WS TV that's PC monitor capable... & wow... feels like you're in the thick of it all... with THX sound.... felt like I got blown out of My chair...



M. M.
__________________
Mad Mardigan is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Ocean Warrior
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Posts: 2,748
Downloads: 379
Uploads: 17


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
My solution... get a bigger widescreen monitor...

I have an Emerson 50 incher WS TV that's PC monitor capable... & wow... feels like you're in the thick of it all... with THX sound.... felt like I got blown out of My chair...



M. M.
50 inch monitor, eh?
that is larger than my 1080 dpi television, and i watch that from 10-12 feet away.
50 inch monitor at arm's length? i am a child of the 50's, the radiation from the monitor, alone, would kill me.
__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortiter et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral
 
Mad Mardigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi.
Posts: 2,047
Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0


radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
50 inch monitor, eh?
that is larger than my 1080 dpi television, and i watch that from 10-12 feet away.
50 inch monitor at arm's length? i am a child of the 50's, the radiation from the monitor, alone, would kill me.


*wipes away tears of mirth* wheeeewwwhhhhhh... ok, now that I can breath. Thanks for that belly laugh, KaleunMarco.

When I was using it, in monitor mode (as well, as for My consoles.. see PS3, & the like... I also used it for watching movies... heck, still do, along with normal TV. Just not as a monitor or gaming.

My... *sighs* gf, hijacked it... for just standard TV related viewing.... awww women... Can't live with 'em, sometimes... can't do without 'em *shrugs*



M. M.
__________________
Mad Mardigan is online   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2022 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.