SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-24, 10:58 PM   #3271
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Of course not, but do not underestimate the info and systemic data that can be drawn off social media
"Loose lips.." and all that.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 02:09 AM   #3272
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You think really that Russians are this dumb that they depend on reading Subsim's General Topic to gain their intel? Trust their abilities a little bit more, I say.
No!!! This is where they get their intel.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 08:30 AM   #3273
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Colonel Reisner, sharing my alarmed attitude on the battle at Ocheretyne. We can safely assume that he has access to better info than we have from public media, and for a strange reason he supports my "pessimistic" views, or I support his, depending on who posts first and how you want to look at it. And all in all his predictions on how the war would go militarily and politically, were correct, and I have posted similiar views on the political erosion of Western support already in the first summer of the war. I dont want to decorate myself with foreign feathers, but I think what he said in the past two years more or less supports my "pessimism". I see it as realism, btw.

https://www-n--tv-de.translate.goog/...en&_x_tr_hl=de

The current aid package will post some new surprises for the Russians. But after some time, the surprise effect is eaten up, so is the ammunition and missiles, the Russians will have learned to adapt like they did before - and then what...?

Too little to win, too much to die right away. As always in this war. Thats what the new aid is. Enjoy the headlines and bright lights and loud sounds as long as they last. The show will not run forever. It has an inbuild time limit.

Not. Enough.
I say it's a good thing to have a pessimistic access to the Ukrainian war a person have then more to be happy about if Russia lose.

I on the other hand have a positive view on the situation-Despite it's not looking good at all.

As I asked some post back-Would it be enough having the will to fight which should be the main win

Edit
A thing came into my mind:
If Ukraine win the war-We all gonna lose
If Ukraine lose the war-Ukraine is going to lose
End edit

Markus

My little lovely female cat

Last edited by mapuc; 04-25-24 at 08:51 AM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 09:26 AM   #3274
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

No matter the outcome, it will get extremely costly for Europe.
Old 04-25-24, 09:50 AM   #3275
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
No matter the outcome, it will get extremely costly for Europe.

Economical it will be huge lost for the European if Ukraine lose
However the price in money and life will be in billions of Euros and millions of life lost if Ukraine win

I have no doubt whatsoever that Putin will use nukes if he lose Crimea

Markus

Old 04-25-24, 11:06 AM   #3276
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

What I posted from this aid to Ukraine is made public by the US government there are no amounts given, and I do not think this is all like more countries give aid but do not tell all they give. I know that the Netherlands has given more and from their own stock, but never told what or how many. Do not think what is given now or in weeks to come will suddenly change the situation. This year we will see if Ukraine can hold the lines with if the opportunity is there can counter sure is that Russia now must rethink the plans what is Ukraine going to do. We know what Russia wants and that is mainly in the east, Ukraine can now build up on any place of the front. This is also NATO advice to defend, hurt Russia but save to build up in next year if Russia does not succeed this year Ukraine can start new operations next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 12:51 PM   #3277
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Markus

Old 04-25-24, 12:54 PM   #3278
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Russia arrests former world chess champion Garry Kasparov on foreign agent and terrorist charges

Quote:
Russia has arrested Garry Kasparov and charged him in connection with foreign agent and terrorist charges - much to the former chess champion's amusement.

The city court in Syktyvkar, the largest city in Russia's northwestern Komi region, announced it had arrested the grandmaster in absentia alongside former Russian parliament member Gennady Gudkov, Ivan Tyutrin co-founder of the Free Russia Forum - which has been designated as an 'undesirable organisation in the country - as well as former environmental activist Yevgenia Chirikova.

All were charged with setting up a terrorist society, according to the court's press service. As all were charged in their absence, none were physically held in custody.

"The court has selected a measure of restraint for Garry Kasparov, Gennady Gudkov, Yevgenia Chirikova and Ivan Tyutrin, charged with establishing and heading a terrorist society, funding terrorist activity and justifying it publicly," the court said according to Kremlin-backed outlet TASS. "The court granted the investigative bodies’ motions to remand Kasparov, Gudkov, Chirikova and Tyutrin in custody as a measure of restraint."

Kasparov responded to the court's bizarre arrest statement in an April 24 post shared on X, formerly Twitter. "In absentia is definitely the best way I've ever been arrested," he said. "Good company, as well. I'm sure we're all equally honoured that Putin's terror state is spending time on this that would otherwise go persecuting and murdering."

Kasparov has found himself in Russian President Vladimir Putin's firing line after he voiced his opposition to the country's leader. He has also pursued pro-democracy initiatives in Russia.

But he felt unable to continue living in Russia after he was jailed and allegedly beaten by police in 2012, according to the Guardian. He was granted Croatian citizenship in 2014 following repeated difficulties in Russia.

Putin has continued to crack down on opposition and dissenting figures within Russia with multiple people being apprehended on dubious charges. Putin's nemesis and leading opposition figure Alexei Navalny was found guilty of trumped up embezzlement charges.

The 47-year-old's body was found in mysterious circumstances in the Russian jail cell where he was being held. Many blamed Putin for Navalny's death and his widow in exile was forced to watch the funeral via livestream. Watched by balaclava-clad security officers and riot police tensions ran high as family and supporters buried Putin’s biggest political opponent.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ef995ad3&ei=16

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 01:21 PM   #3279
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russia-Ukraine war: Frontline update as of April 25

Quote:
Ukrainian military forces repelled 27 enemy attacks in the Avdiivka direction, held their positions, and repelled assaults by Russian forces in the Kherson direction. Aviation destroyed 3 enemy reconnaissance drones, according to the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Russian shelling

During the past day, there have been 104 clashes. In total, the enemy launched 13 missiles and 56 aviation strikes, as well as 105 artillery bombardments using rocket systems targeting our troops' positions and residential areas.

Unfortunately, due to Russian attacks, there are casualties and injuries among the civilian population. Several multi-story buildings and other objects of civil infrastructure have been destroyed or damaged.
Aircraft strikes targeted:

・Vesele, Bilyi Kolodiaz, Vovchansk, Kyrylivka in the Kharkiv region;

・Serebrianske Forestry Area, Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region;

・Ivanivske, Chasiv Yar, Bila Hora, Andriivka, Yevhenivka, Ocheretyne, Berdychi, Semenivka, Kalynove, Vovche, Oleksandropil, Arkhanhelske, Krasnohorivka, Kostiantynivka, Staromaiorske, Urozhainein the Donetsk region;

・Robotyne in the Zaporizhzhia region;

・Berislav, Olhivka, Krynykyin the Kherson region.

Over 110 settlements in the Chernihiv, Sumy, Kharkiv, Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Dnipropetrovsk, Kherson, and Mykolaiv regions were under artillery fire.

Frontline situation

In the Volyn and Polissia directions, the operational situation remains relatively unchanged.

In the Siversk and Slobozhanske directions, the enemy maintains military presence in border areas, conducts sabotage activities to prevent the transfer of our troops to critical areas, and increases the density of mine-explosive barriers along the state border.

In the Kupiansk direction, our troops repelled 1 attack near the settlement of Berestove in the Kharkiv region.

In the Lyman direction, the enemy attacked our positions 19 times in the areas of Serebrianske Forestry and Nevske in the Luhansk region, as well as Terniv and Torske in the Donetsk region.

In the Bakhmut direction, our troops repelled 25 attacks in the areas of the settlements of Bilohorivka in the Luhansk region, Verkhniokamianske, Vyimka, Novyi, Ivanivske, and Klishchivka in the Donetsk region.

In the Avdiivka direction, our defenders repelled 27 attacks in the areas of the settlements of Ocheretyne, Solovyove, Novokalynove, Berdychi, and Netailove in the Donetsk region.

In the Novopavlivka direction, the Defense Forces continue to hold back the enemy in the areas of the settlements of Krasnohorivka, Heorhiivka, Novomykhailivka, and Urozhaine in the Donetsk region, where the enemy attempted to breach our troops' defenses 21 times.

In the Orikhiv direction, the enemy attacked our defenders' positions once in the area of Staromaiorske in the Donetsk region.

In the Kherson direction, the enemy is not giving up on its intention to drive our units from the bridgeheads on the left bank of the Dnipro River. During the past day, the enemy made 4 unsuccessful attacks on our troops' positions.

At the same time, our soldiers continue active operations to inflict losses on the Russian forces in personnel and equipment, wearing down the enemy along the entire line of contact.

Enemy losses

During the past day, the Defense Forces' aviation conducted strikes on 11 areas of enemy personnel concentration. Additionally, using anti-aircraft defense forces, Ukraine destroyed 1 guided aviation missile X-59 and 3 enemy reconnaissance drones.

Missile troops units inflicted damage on 1 area of enemy personnel concentration.

The total number of losses in the Russian army since the beginning of the invasion is 461,940 military personnel.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ef995ad3&ei=40

Old 04-25-24, 04:14 PM   #3280
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Markus

Old 04-26-24, 06:07 AM   #3281
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

From a moral point of view, I find this difficult to form a definite opinion. As of conscription in general. Its not just black or white. And if there seem to be just two sides of a thing, truth maybe is to be found in the third.

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-halts-...oad/a-68923603
Old 04-26-24, 09:12 AM   #3282
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-26-24, 09:57 AM   #3283
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

'Treat us like pigs': Putin faces major army revolt as troops accuse Kremlin of betrayal

Quote:
Vladimir Putin is facing a major army revolt, after troops accused the Kremlin of treating them "like pigs".

Veterans from Storm Z punishment battalions and the former Wagner militia accuse the Kremlin of betraying them and ignoring their sacrifices for the motherland.

The former combatants say they are being denied access to the government benefits on offer to all veterans of the Ukraine war.

Former frontline soldiers are normally issued with combat veteran certificates, which allow them to receive generous government social benefits and subsidies.

These include a 50 percent discount on housing and utility bills, as well as a monthly payment of 195,000 (1,689) roubles a month.

In Russia this is a lot of money, and is roughly equal to the wage of a medium to high level manager working in a private business.
Additionally, returning servicemen are guaranteed a return to their original jobs, while their children receive preferential treatment when enrolling in universities.

Yet soldiers from Storm Z units and the Wagner militia say local authorities are not issuing them with the certificates.

A group of former Storm Z fighters have recorded a video message to the Russian President, demanding that he intervenes on their behalf.

In the recording, one of the group says: "Not a single representative of the Wagner PMC in the Tyumen region was issued a combat veteran certificate.

"State awards do not provide the required financial reward. We, Storm Z fighters, are told that we are not worthy of receiving lump sum payments for serious injuries."

Storm Z soldiers were recruited from Russian penal colonies. The convicts were promised that their convictions would be squashed on the successful completion of a tour of duty.

The penal squads, each about 100-150 strong, were embedded within regular army units and typically were sent to the most exposed parts of the front, where they often sustained heavy losses.

Other Storm Z fighters have voiced their anger at the way they have been treated since their return from Ukraine.

One told the Russian independent media channel Astra that they ranked lower than animals as far as the authorities were concerned.

"We returned home and they treated us like pigs," said one veteran. "Although it's probably better with pigs.

"At least they are fed and given a place. And we, along the way, have become worse than pigs for them."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...fa7f10ae&ei=17

Old 04-26-24, 11:19 AM   #3284
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
'Treat us like pigs': Putin faces major army revolt as troops accuse Kremlin of betrayal
No surprise Storm Z soldiers have a lifespan of 1 month Wagner had a lifespan of average 3 months. Storm Z soldiers get no training, none, zero and no protection or support from the Russian army, they starve at the front eating food supplies from their fallen comrades.

Quote:

Last edited by Dargo; 04-26-24 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 11:28 AM   #3285
Dargo
Admiral

Ukraine pulls US-provided Abrams tanks from the front lines over Russian drone threats
Ukraine has sidelined U.S.-provided Abrams M1A1 battle tanks for now in its fight against Russia, in part because Russian drone warfare has made it too difficult for them to operate without detection or coming under attack, two U.S. military officials told The Associated Press. The U.S. agreed to send 31 Abrams to Ukraine in January 2023 after an aggressive monthslong campaign by Kyiv arguing that the tanks, which cost about $10 million apiece, were vital to its ability to breach Russian lines. But the battlefield has changed substantially since then, notably by the ubiquitous use of Russian surveillance drones and hunter-killer drones. Those weapons have made it more difficult for Ukraine to protect the tanks when they are quickly detected and hunted by Russian drones or rounds. Five of the 31 tanks have already been lost to Russian attacks. The proliferation of drones on the Ukrainian battlefield means “there isn’t open ground that you can just drive across without fear of detection,” a senior defense official told reporters Thursday. ... https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-r...a2130063a8fb7a

Quote: