Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-04-09, 04:31 AM   #346
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Alright it got too hot here with those last couple of posts between the 2 of you.
My apologies for not having paid that much of attention to this thread the last days.

but now I've brought this....

and I'm not afraid to use it.

Now, there is no need to be rude.
also I would like to remind, that we won't share links to OFF Phase 2 around here on Subsim, the OFF Dev team have wished no to do so.
we may not agree with their policy, but will have to follow them.

now I would like this thread to return to room temperature.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 08-04-09 at 04:48 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 05:03 AM   #347
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Time to whip out the ignore list again
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 12:10 PM   #348
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Sorry about that Hunter, I've taken my chill pill. Firewall I'm sorry too for my unsightly comments, but typing in all cap locks in a sentence is consididered to be yelling on many fourms. So next time think before you type in cap locks.
Old 08-04-09, 12:40 PM   #349
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I was out of line too. I'm sorry Kptlt Hellmut Neuerburg.

btw I like P2 and I will have to get P3.

Can it be burned to cd, and how doe's the keycode work ?

P.S. Thx Hunter

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 01:13 PM   #350
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hi,
gawwd what's up with those people here ?

Abacus is some pretty graphics and you can fly some WW1 planes, but if you want to shoot, have a campaign or get any immersion from a WW1 landscape this is nothing to write home about. Flight model isn't very sophisticated either, your Albatros flies like a Cessna, all planes are far too forgiving, and a DM is virtually non-existant.

"Over Flanders Fields" Phase 1 and 2 were fine for free, they would sure have costed something were they made by a commercial company back then, incomplete and buggy as they were, but the OFF team decided to give it away for free. So why does anyone complain they do not have it for free download anymore, when there is a new and better version without bugs? Anyone who plays phase 2 now will take it for "nearly the same as phase 3" - bullsh!t and not a good advertisement.

Maybe a subsim forum is not quite the place to ask for a flight sim ? If anyone had have the time to type "OFF home" into his Google window it would have shown him the OFF home forum at Combatsim.com, along with lots of subforums dealing with Phase 1 and 2, and how to still get a free copy. I must have sent some 20 copies of phase 2 disks to all parts of the world for free, along with others. It is just i do not check here regularly when it comes to flight sims, plain and simple.

deleted -

I once tried OFF phase 1, then phase 2, ranted all the time about all kinds of problems and inconsistencies, so much i was lots of times close to be thrown out lol. There are still some small errors in OFF (like the circular magazine of the SE5a Lewis gun has a closed bottom while it was open in reality) but the "rest" is spot-on, along with historically correct frontlines, fire barrages, battles and the feeling of a war going on around you.
The old OFF phase 2 CAN certainly be compared to the new Version 3 "Between Heaven and Hell", but there are not much similarities apart from the basic WW1 theme, not even graphic-wise. I think 30 bucks are not too much for it, but then it's just me.

Then there's "Rise of flight", pretty graphics, flight and damage model, but you get only 4 planes with the sim (39 bucks), and have to pay some 6.50 $ for every further plane you want to fly. And you have to be online all the time, even for single play - not that single play or a campaign are existant yet. Every patch will automatically be downloaded to your harddisk as soon as you start the game - no internet, no game. And it is very much a sim in development, but has great potential and i will buy it - teeth clenched - not much WW1 sims around.
NeoQB said they would offer a trial version for download, but it does not exist yet.

Greetings,
Catfish

P.S at Firewall - just read your last post, so i will rest my case Ahem

Last edited by Catfish; 08-04-09 at 01:17 PM. Reason: deleted s.t.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 01:33 PM   #351
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Question:

You need CFS3 to play OFF P3?
Old 08-04-09, 01:45 PM   #352
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Question:

You need CFS3 to play OFF P3?
Yes.
Old 08-04-09, 01:50 PM   #353
Catfish

Hello,
if you want to play OFF get the CFS3 DVD if you can - installation is much easier than with the older CFS3 2 CD version.
When you install OFF, it asks you to insert the CFS3 CD or DVD, takes 2-3 seconds, and then goes on with the OFF install. You do not need to install CFS3 at all, just shortly insert the disk for parts of the engine and copyright reasons.

Greetings,
Catfish
Old 08-04-09, 01:59 PM   #354
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hello,
if you want to play OFF get the CFS3 DVD if you can - installation is much easier than with the older CFS3 2 CD version.
When you install OFF, it asks you to insert the CFS3 CD or DVD, takes 2-3 seconds, and then goes on with the OFF install. You do not need to install CFS3 at all, just shortly insert the disk for parts of the engine and copyright reasons.

Greetings,
Catfish
I went to the OFF FAQ and found this:

Q. Do I need to actually install CFS3 first?
A. Maybe..... during install process the OFF BH&H installer will ask you to provide CFS3 so it can copy the CFS3 files it needs.

You can provide the files required from either :
1) An installed CFS3
- OR-
2) Your original CFS3 disks
You can choose. However in either case OFF needs CFS3 version 3.1. If your CFS3 CD/DVD is an old version it may be CFS3 v3.0 not v3.1 - in this case you must use option 1) and then patch that CFS3 install to CFS3 v3.1 before installing OFF.
Q. Do I still need my CFS3 disk to fly OFF BH&H?
A. Yes. All the protection Microsoft or other publisher added to CFS3 disk will still apply. So OFF requires CFS3 CD to fly.
However if you have the DVD version of CFS3 ("Exclusive" brand DVD version from Ubisoft) then the DVD does NOT need to be in to fly CFS3 or OFF.
Old 08-06-09, 07:57 AM   #355
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

And you can manually delete CFS3 after installing OFF, so it doesn`t have to stay on your hard drive.
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 03:59 AM   #356
phillcoops
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default newbie manual install problem

HELP!! I've intstalled OFF Phase 2. When I start the program it doesn't initialise automatically. I go to the workshops and attempt manual install and I get an OFF Manager Error message "cannot specify file path CFS3 or produce BAT File etc..."

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I've spent hours trying to set this up now.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong spot!
Aye,
Phill
phillcoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 04:07 AM   #357
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I hope you get an answer. I couldn't get it to work either.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 08:36 AM   #358
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Copy the "CFS3.exe" from the CSF3 install into the OFF game folder - delete the old "shell.exe" there first, or backup the file with a different name (e.g. Oldshell.exe). Then rename the copied "CFS3.exe" in the OFF folder to "shell.exe".
I'm sure thats the way i got it to work

http://forum.combatace.com/setup-phase-only-t37679.html

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 06:22 PM   #359
Cameljockey
Watch

You can find install instructions here..........
http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=37679

I haven't flown OFF Phase 2 since BH&H came out in Jan and got RoF in July so I've been spending my time on those. If you guys need any help I've got a good bit of info on Phase 2. Just holler.

CJ
Cameljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 11:33 AM   #360
Catfish

Hi,
there is a new add-on for "Over Flanders Fields - Between Heaven and Hell", called "Hat in the ring" http://www.overflandersfields.com/Addon1.htm
it will cost 19 $ or so they say. Even if this is cheaper than those "Rise of flight" updates plane-wise (6,95 $ per plane here) i wonder ... i mean from the content it is worth it, but it seems all new sims are going to be sims in development, with further add ons and content to buy. New marketing strategy huh ? While i can understand this with OFF, since it is not really a commercial project, on one hand i hate incomplete sims brought out on the market - it is only that on the other hand they would not be there at all. RoF's a good example, but then it's online only.
When compared, RedBaron 3d before modding etc. was nothing to write home about, few planes and bad graphics, even for the time.
SH 4 already had an add-on with the german U-boat pack, but i guess this time i will wait for SH 5 ...

oops

Greetings,
Catfish