SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-21, 02:22 PM   #4066
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Flotilla has to be defined with dates, if they are "restricted" any, such as the CaviteCommand is. The NULL at a base just means it follows that same date position, or in the case of Cavite, the NULL in the first position assumes the date of the beginning of the flotilla command. The same for any boat definitions. Where a problem may lie here is that the boat involved does not "terminate" in the command until after the command ceases to exist, which might be the reason for the failure of an Albany assignment, since it is last in the list. So my guess is the boat with the May date, and the command with the April date is where the problem lies. We'll see if he finds Albany "tilted". If it is, and he can dock there, a transfer to Fremantle would be in order here...
Albany is there, but is not tilted. As I said before, there are no tilted anchor bases anywhere in my world. Hope this helps.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-21, 02:30 PM   #4067
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
PearlHarborCommand is set at "NULL, NULL", as are several NavalBases and other Commands, and is a "Stock" setting as well. In the case of the Stock game, as well as FotRSU, since we did not change the "base" dates, means the effective dates are 1938-01-01 to 1945-12-31. One does have to be careful with the Mission Editor also, since it "starts" 1940-01-01 unless changed. Someone like iambecomelife, doing the WW1 Wolves of the Kaiser, has to dig and find all such references and dates, and make them what he wants - and there are a LOT of them. If a given Command has a date of say 1942-03-01, NULL, and anything below that command using NULL, NULL, would then mean 1942-03-01 to 1945-12-31, and not present any troubles. However, any use of "NULL" does mean that a mission under those bases would then have to be set to run two days before the listing for the CareerStart file (ie: 1942-02-27), which is where it gets a bit tricky, keeping dates aligned with each other. You also have to be careful of assignments in PatrolObjectives, where dates, like in the eqp and sns file HAVE to be specific dates, and NULL is not allowed. The use of NULL at the end of a Submarine's effective date means the same date as the Base and / or Command, which is where an automatic transfer might fail, so the actual date desired would have to be used.

All told, CaviteCommand is there from the beginning, and "dies" on 15 Apr 42. Cavite the NavalBase is there from the beginning, but dies on 10 Dec 41, where a person is then "transferred to Darwin effective 12 Dec 41, and active until the bombing there on 19 Feb 42, which then results in the Albany assignment, supposedly effective 24 Feb 42. The inactivating Albany on 15 Apr 42, while the sub goes to 16 May is probably where a problem would be. We'll have to see if torpedobait gets the Albany base as a valid docking facility. I do have my doubts... If not, he may have to load a Save prior to departing Darwin, and transfer to the Asiatic fleet at either Surabaya or Fremantle, as the case might be... Searaven is a Sargo, so Tilatjap might be available for transfer also, depending upon when he last leaves Darwin.
I intend now to go back to the save I took in the office prior to departing Darwin and request a transfer. Since I've never been to Albany I will try to transfer there. Otherwise, it'll be Brisbane for me, which is closer to a likely next hot spot in the war.

One thing I didn't mention in the details is that the mission I left for on Feb. 19 was the second out of Darwin. I did another starting on 1/18/1942. I don't think that matters.

If Darwin is closed as a Base on 19 Feb and that is my date of departure, could that cause a conflict somewhere?

Old 12-25-21, 03:26 PM   #4068
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Ok, went back to the Save I took in the Office as of 10 Dec 42 and looked at available transfers. First option was to the "Asiatic Fleet" temporary base at Surabaya; the Second option was Labeled Mariveles, with a temporary base of Tilapjap. I took that one - got the same mission and departed on 19 Feb 1942.

I'm anxious to see what happens when Tilapjap goes away later in the month. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Took the transfer that went to Tilapjap and left there on 2/19. Received the notice on 2/20 that Darwin was removed as a Base. My base remained Tilapjap. While on patrol in Area A2, on 2/25 got notice that all Asiatic Fleet subs were transferred to Fremantle, but the Base indicator was not changed. On 3/1 Surabaya was abandoned, and then on 3/6 Tilapjap was abandoned. Now I had no Base to return to. Once again there were no tilted anchors.

HOWEVER, on 3/13 I checked again for a Base (I did this every day) and saw that Fremantle was now tilted and therefor was my Base. I did not receive an Operations Message to that effect. No biggie, but why the 7 day wait to get a Base indicator, and why no notification after my prior base was abandoned?

Now I wonder if I had waited longer out of Darwin if the Base might have shown up as Albany if I had waited a full week? I really don't want to go back and try it again. That encounter with the IJN TF was unnerving to say the least!

Last edited by torpedobait; 12-25-21 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 01:16 AM   #4069
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The scary thing about this is, I spent like 3 days building a spreadsheet, and used that as the "model" for the flotillas, boat and mission assignments, part of which can be seen in the "BoatsByMonth.pdf" file in the Support folder... So how I missed the date of the Flotilla 21 ending, I don't know, but it was supposed to be May of 1942, not April. The reason for the delay in Fremantle showing as the base to change to is a combination of the game, the way it operates, the transfer, and in the fact that the configuration for your boat, even though you transferred, still doesn't match. I don't think waiting longer would have worked for Albany. You would have had to wait until May 17, 1942 at least, and it may still have failed. The "fix" is easy enough, thankfully. In the meantime, the base changes are now rather a shotgun affair. So a skipper has to really watch the bases and the radio messages, hence the new pdf. The radio is supposed to drop the player to 1x TC when something important comes across, and not for the "Ship sunk..." messages anymore. So all messages about bases are going to bring you back to 1x, and should not mention any particular base or command anymore, but rather "withdraw to the Malayan Barrier". It is still up to the player to look at those, and / or look at the anchors. No matter how the "address" is set-up in those radio messages, they are still basically "broadcast" messages that go to everybody. So you get Pearl messages in Alaska and Australia, etc... It'd be really nice to have "Command Specific" stuff, but not possible, the way the game is... btw - thanks for the details!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 06:51 AM   #4070
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
The scary thing about this is, I spent like 3 days building a spreadsheet, and used that as the "model" for the flotillas, boat and mission assignments, part of which can be seen in the "BoatsByMonth.pdf" file in the Support folder... So how I missed the date of the Flotilla 21 ending, I don't know, but it was supposed to be May of 1942, not April. The reason for the delay in Fremantle showing as the base to change to is a combination of the game, the way it operates, the transfer, and in the fact that the configuration for your boat, even though you transferred, still doesn't match. I don't think waiting longer would have worked for Albany. You would have had to wait until May 17, 1942 at least, and it may still have failed. The "fix" is easy enough, thankfully. In the meantime, the base changes are now rather a shotgun affair. So a skipper has to really watch the bases and the radio messages, hence the new pdf. The radio is supposed to drop the player to 1x TC when something important comes across, and not for the "Ship sunk..." messages anymore. So all messages about bases are going to bring you back to 1x, and should not mention any particular base or command anymore, but rather "withdraw to the Malayan Barrier". It is still up to the player to look at those, and / or look at the anchors. No matter how the "address" is set-up in those radio messages, they are still basically "broadcast" messages that go to everybody. So you get Pearl messages in Alaska and Australia, etc... It'd be really nice to have "Command Specific" stuff, but not possible, the way the game is... btw - thanks for the details!
Glad I could help, and thanks for saving me the trouble of going back to Darwin to try for Albany again! Good job all around, Props. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, and the entire SubSim membership.

Old 12-26-21, 10:46 AM   #4071
propbeanie

Thank you from the team, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours also, as well as to the entire SubSim Community!

I did find one message I missed concerning the "All Asiatic Submarines" and "move to Perth / Fremantle W.A.", so I will include that with a small patch for Albany.

Old 12-26-21, 11:16 AM   #4072
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

Where is the changelog for the 1.7 version?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 11:21 AM   #4073
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Important report:

Searching some skipper trying the S-class boats in v1.7...

I´m having consistents CTD when try to play with this class, in single missions, patrols and campaign.

With all the other boats I don´t have problems.

Today I installed the new FBIQ mod by Vickers including the full interior for the pigboats and I have a CTD. Well, I believed it was a problem with the interiors. Deactivated the Interiors mod, I tried to load a pigboat and CTD. I deactivated (until now), all the addons, except Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru, with the combined roster.

No solution. Ever I try a mission or campaign or patrol with a S-Class I have a CTD.

I have (of course), a pristine SH4 1.5 DVD Gold installed, with LAA, deleted all the previous savegames from my docs/SH4...all works fine except it is impossible to use a pigboat. FOTRSU 1.7 with NK and NM combined, only.

If someone has the problem, please report...or help me to discover the solution

Many thanks and Happy Holidays,

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 11:29 AM   #4074
propbeanie

I'll get a chance later today to check into a few things, and we'll move this to the top of the list. Where do you encounter the CTDs? While an assignment is loading, or when choosing the boat? And what date and where are you starting from for the Campaign?

Old 12-26-21, 01:41 PM   #4075
propbeanie

OK, lunch break from trying to put together Christmas "toys" (a really really nice nice 'pellet' cooking grill, & others), so I ran some Single Missions, Quick Patrols & a couple of Career starts, and the only issue I encountered was when I went too fast from the stern to the stem inside the boat... I went from the shaft animation, through the engine room, to the command room to the radio room to the bunk room to the torpedo room, and then discovered that something got stuck, and I ended up in the "wild blue yonder" of nothingness, and had to Save, exit, re-start and Load the save, and all was fine. Frame rate seldom dropped below 60fps, and might even be better than before. Here is a quick shot looking back at the Manila Harbor tender:

Nary any other sign of issue. so if your <Arrow Key> gets stuck, do a quick Save, exit, re-start and Load to fix that. Maybe vickers03 knows where to look for that, but like all things Silent Hunter, it might be difficult to trace down. One last "little" point about this game, and especially with FotRSU loaded, is that you MUST exit the game between what Ubisoft calls "modes" of operation. In other words, you do a Single Mission, and then want to do a career, exit the game, re-start, and then go into the Career Start section. If you run the Museum to look at all the wonderful work so many modders have done for FotRSU, and then want to do a Quick Patrol, exit the game and then re-start and go into the Quick Patrols.

What I had loaded to look at this was:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\FotRSUv17\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7
AddInModzPak_17
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.7
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
No matter your mod load, I would do the Interiors last, and make certain that you have removed the patch, which is no longer necessary with this version of the Interiors.

Old 12-26-21, 01:44 PM   #4076
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
I'll get a chance later today to check into a few things, and we'll move this to the top of the list. Where do you encounter the CTDs? While an assignment is loading, or when choosing the boat? And what date and where are you starting from for the Campaign?
An hour ago I remade a complete, pristine, installation of SH4 1.5, after a complete elimination of files, savegames, registry cleaned, etc. An all new installation.

I continue to have the problem. With and without the new FBIOQ, with and without addins, with and without NM or NK or both. I can't play with S boats. The mission, patrol, campaign, go to CTD after a few seconds with the "No Mission...Too Difficult" splash. I started campaigns December 8, 1941 in the Asiatic Fleet, Manila, Cavite, Mariveles....Also I try with diverse missions. Ever I have a CTD with the pigboats. I can select it in the mission selector (and for the campaigns), I can load the boat with crew and torps in campaign, I have all the orders, videos, messages, etc., previous to load the scenery. The red bar goes to his end, appears the "No Mission..." black splash...and CTD. No error message, nothing. Simple and plain CTD.

I didn´t have this issue with 1.46 or 1.6 preview. I mainly play with Gatos, but I ran patrols and a campaign in the Asiatic Fleet with a pigboat in 1.6P, and I didn´t have issues.

Best regards and many thanks for the support.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 01:57 PM   #4077
propbeanie

I will mention this also: We have had two people actually have issues with the download itself. You can run Windows "CertUtil -hashfile ..." on the downloaded archive, and check it against what is on the download page:
20/12/2021 @ 16:25

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.7.7z
Size = 1.45 GB (1,529,811kb - 1,566,527,488 bytes) compressed.

SHA1 hash of 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7.7z:
02afaae658e91ebd13d5bab6464427637ce7d885
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
You should get the same number 02afaae658e91ebd13d5bab6464427637ce7d885 when you run it (I think). Someone might be able to help further on how to do that check. Anyway two people have reported issues, and after a new download, have not had issue. Just to be sure, with a "fresh" SH4 install, make certain it runs fine first, especially the S-Boat Asiatic start. Then exit, activate only FotRSU, empty the Save folder, and run the same thing again, checking the S-Boat Asiatic start. Then try the interiors again. Another little bit of Windows weirdness to be aware of, is that I have found Windows 10 will sometimes put the Save game folder in the "root" of my game folder on the other computer where FotRSU is activated on SH4 on the D: drive, instead of putting it in the C:\Documents folder. None of my other computers do that... So look for a like-named save folder on a 2nd hard drive, if you have that set-up. Let us know how you get along. Thank you!

Old 12-26-21, 02:45 PM   #4078
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\FotRSUv17\MODS]

AddInModzPak_17
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.7
No matter your mod load, I would do the Interiors last, and make certain that you have removed the patch, which is no longer necessary with this version of the Interiors.
EAX needs to be activated last or it stops working.
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 03:23 PM   #4079
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
An hour ago I remade a complete, pristine, installation of SH4 1.5, after a complete elimination of files, savegames, registry cleaned, etc. An all new installation.

I continue to have the problem. With and without the new FBIOQ, with and without addins, with and without NM or NK or both. I can't play with S boats. The mission, patrol, campaign, go to CTD after a few seconds with the "No Mission...Too Difficult" splash. I started campaigns December 8, 1941 in the Asiatic Fleet, Manila, Cavite, Mariveles....Also I try with diverse missions. Ever I have a CTD with the pigboats. I can select it in the mission selector (and for the campaigns), I can load the boat with crew and torps in campaign, I have all the orders, videos, messages, etc., previous to load the scenery. The red bar goes to his end, appears the "No Mission..." black splash...and CTD. No error message, nothing. Simple and plain CTD.

I didn´t have this issue with 1.46 or 1.6 preview. I mainly play with Gatos, but I ran patrols and a campaign in the Asiatic Fleet with a pigboat in 1.6P, and I didn´t have issues.

Best regards and many thanks for the support.

Fitzcarraldo
Merry Christmas Fitzcarraldo,

The problems you are experiancing has nothing to do with either FotRSU or Vickers03 most excellent mod "Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN"

My mod load is as follows:
Nippon Maru v1.6
Nihon Kaigun v1.1
Combined Roster
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.7

Like PB, i have ran serveral campaign starts with S-Boats, with and without Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN and cannot find any issues..

The probelm has to be with your install. Did you check the follwing after you downloaded? Did you empty the docs > Sh4 name folder before the new start ?
SHA1 hash of 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7.7z:
02afaae658e91ebd13d5bab6464427637ce7d885

Last edited by s7rikeback; 12-26-21 at 07:09 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 03:29 PM   #4080
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

playing S-Boats and Cachalot, no CTD's so far.
excellent work with the new FOTRSU 1.7 by the way
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote