SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-23, 12:18 PM   #16
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I see. Both games are 'The Hunter' right?

One is Classic. One is Call of the Wild. I knew the latter was released in 2017 and when I saw the thread kicked off in 2012 I reckoned it was a different game. But now I see you've combined the two, makes sense.

I'd suggest not waiting a year for WotH. I think, based on how well it's run for me, that one of the recent updates may have improved things, but that's speculation. Get it soon on sale, with the season pass, and that way you'll pay a lot less down the line. If it runs well -- and I guess that's a big if -- the game is in a good state now. It lacks many of the features CotW has, like blinds, tents, archery and the like, but the actual hunting is good.

But that's a matter of opinion, so blaze your own.

As for CotW, I'm looking forward to giving it a go, and will this evening. Like I said I think the hunting sim will not feel quite so, err, sim-like? But I believe the sum will be greater than the parts. And then I'll be able to draw direct comparisons between the two titles.

It's only money....
Old 01-19-23, 01:59 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I just had tried it, just days ago. Crashes after some time as described. EVERY time.

After all, I have two hunting games, I am not desperately needing a third one.

--------------

Yes, there are two The Hunter games. The first started 2009, then wa s almost ruined and the original owner adn developer was bancrupt, and so it was sold to the new developer that also runs Call of the Wild, and brought it to shine. Its micro transactions system meanwhile is deactivated, it can be played practically for free now. Still holds its ground, still has its fan base, and when Call of the Wild was released (being The Hunter 2 effectively), the first game was outsourced to a maintance developer who keeps it floating and alive, renaming the old game as The Hunter Classic.

If you do not know the old classic The Hunter, check it out. It still is a damn fine game with plenty of reserves well done. The animal AI is better than in COTW, it does not do these bug-like stunts that you not rarely see happening in COTW, but does not know as big herds as you sometimes see in COTW. I still play it - frequently, so do many other players.

-----------
Old 01-19-23, 03:51 PM   #18
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Maybe I will, get Classic, at some point down the line. But I'm set for now, after all I have yet to even install Call of the Wild, only bought it last night. So let's see how that goes, but thanks for the recommendation.

I thought it had been a few weeks since you played WotH, not a few days. Too bad that. Have you tried a different video driver maybe? Like you said, you're covered already so not priority.

100 hours for me, no crashes. For you, crashes constantly. Doesn't seem logical, but this has always been the way with our hobby.
Old 01-19-23, 07:22 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

There are quite some people having many crashes, I read in reviews at Steam as well around the net, so I am not that alone. While others have none, apparently.

In one year again.
Old 01-19-23, 10:08 PM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I played WotH a lot when it was released and even with it flaws and bugs back then, I very much enjoyed it more than CotW. While the latter obviously has more content atm, WotH's hunting just feels more "sim-like" than The Hunter's. Especially once you understand the mechanics, you rarely need to stalk anymore in CotW, just run around until you hear the warning call.

I did get burned out eventually, but definitely going to return to it sometime soon.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 07:41 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, thats true, COTH is less simulation than Hunter Classic. The only remedy is to act with self-restriant oin side of the player. Itrs said you get form a sim what you out into it, handle it like an arcade game and you get an arcade game reaciton, handle it more seirous, and you get more realism. Thats is true for a serious flight or racing sim, for example. In COTW I mean to not mow down a full herd just ebcasue you can, the animal AI is at times terribly stupid, they did a rela loiusy job on that and refuse to repair it.

In the end COTW is what it is, either one likes or or not. One thing however is certain: it is beautiful to look at, many reserves are visual feasts, and works of beauty and art. When i want a more challenging "hint", I fall back to classic Hunter, however, which I still play. It also has its flaws, however, perfect none of the two is. But heck, in the end we are just playing a game, and we better play only that what gives us subjective enjoyment. COTW to me is a walk-in-the-park/forest simulator in the first.
Old 01-20-23, 08:16 AM   #22
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Agreed that Way of the Hunter is the better hunting sim in the field.

But I started Call of the Wild last night and dropped four hours. I was instantly struck by some of the differences. Where I spawned at the start (Silver Peaks map first) there were bears, and pronghorns and deer and more all within a couple hundred yards. My first kill was at 18 yards. In Way of the Hunter you'd need to work hard to get that close. It's different for sure.

But I still had fun with it. I'll stick with Call of the Wild for a while and give it a proper go, stalk different maps, try various weapons, hunt new game.

CotW is six years older and feels like it. But it's also much more robust due to how much time they've had to improve and expand it. It's good to have options.
Old 01-20-23, 09:17 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

A hunt ion both Hunte rgames cna go very differfent from the one the day before. On one day you can walk around for an hour or two, and hear no calls and find no traces on the ground. On the next day you may find both easily, almost in extrmneis. So , this can vary extremely widely. I know thta many newcomers are turnbd away becasue it bores them so much to wal aroudn and do not see any animal at all. This is due to having ha da day wiht ba dluck, but also with scaring the animal off, maybe. Animal AI unfortunateky has many bugs.

Hints:

- many think the accoustic sensibility of animals is overdone, they spook too easily. I would disagree, but its a popular perception being talked of a lot.

- from a certain darkness level at sunset on, the graphical hints for traces on the ground will become invisible and will no longer be displayed if you do not use a torchlight. However, animals do not react to torchlights used, so no penalty from that.

- have a tent with you and ste it up before you end your session. You will in each reserve spawn to the next house or tent your were löoiacted to in your last session. If you want to cver gorund and nbot start always int beh same familia rpalces, you need a tent. (pick it up again before you walk of into the reserve when you start!).

- need zones actually do work.

There are no penalties for shooting animals with the wrong callibre (they call it ethical hunting), but you will have a reduction in money and score points. Animals and weapons are sorted into 9 different categories.

Bird hunt I find boring and nerve killing, i dont do it. All the many callers and rubber ducks and finding out how to use them (its not intuitive, I think) and then sitting still in place, and in groundblinds. In classic Hunter, this was the method to milk for coins, since all that stuff was needed in significant quantities and had to be bought via micro transactions.

No, perfect The Hunter world is not. But beautiful.

I will set up a post in the Hunter thread soon with a few links to some useful tables on animals, acivity times, and weapons. Give me half an hour.

edit:
Done.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=398

Last edited by Skybird; 01-20-23 at 09:54 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 11:12 AM   #24
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i have way of the hunter play it a little bit but for me it sucks no bows and they have you wobbling all over the place suppose to be like real life if you wobble that bad you don't need to be in the field you sure don't need to be around a firearm that right there is the deal breaker for me granted i have handle firearms since i could walk and hunted for 45 years so no problems finding game i can even find the blood trails on it
Old 01-21-23, 09:19 AM   #25
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

The wobble is pronounced, but the devs need some way to differentiate the stability of different stances, so you have wobble. It's not so bad I don't think, and there is a perk for reducing it a little.

It's difficult to use prone stance often for taking shots, due to the vegetation and terrain and how it restricts your view. But from a crouch it's not bad. The breath hold makes it steady enough to take accurate, placed shots out to 400 yards and farther.

I would like to see improved shooting positions in the stands however. Unless the target is visible through the small doorway at the top of the ladder, stand shots need to be taken standing up. But even this isn't so bad I don't think. I've hit a number of shots out to 250 yards while standing.
Old 02-02-23, 09:49 AM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Since I added Call of the Wild to my quiver, I can say without a doubt, the wobble is better in Way of the Hunter. Long range shooting, even prone, is harder than it should be in Call of the Wild, due to the insane wobble from a supported position.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, I have a thread at SimHQ comparing the two hunting games and talking about my experiences with both games. Check it out here.

Way of the Wild
Old 02-02-23, 10:04 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post

Anyway, if anyone's interested, I have a thread at SimHQ comparing the two hunting games and talking about my experiences with both games. Check it out here.

Way of the Wild
So now we know where you've been hanging out these past few days, you disloyal scoundrel!
Old 02-02-23, 10:39 AM   #28
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I check in here every day but there's not much discussion! Same with SimHQ for that matter

I've been playing one or both of these hunting games every day for three weeks now. Lovin' it
Old 02-02-23, 12:07 PM   #29
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

it is a beautiful game it really is i don't know anybody else game,but the wind speed is the same just different directions i also like that the game not holding my hand if i wound a animal and got to track it but most of my tactics for finding game is what i use in real life now since i figure out how to hold my breath the wobble not as bad now if the game would let me sell the 243 i be happy
Old 02-02-23, 12:54 PM   #30
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Are you sure you're not talking about Call of the Wild? The wind display in Way of the Hunter changes intensity, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Wind speed changes in Call of the Wild too, at least visually, but there's no speed display, and I'm not sure if it's factored in to shots anyway.

New Alaska reserve announced for Way of the Hunter. Looks fantastic!