SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-23, 07:45 PM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Steam Summer Sale 2023

It's on once again. So, what are you considering for purchase during the sale?

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-23, 08:27 PM   #2
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

I just ordered a grey import 64GB Steam Deck, and a 1TB Sabrent SSD to pop in it. Just browsing now for some stuff to fill it with......... although I do have a backlog of untouched stuff on my account alreay.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 07:38 AM   #3
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
I just ordered a grey import 64GB Steam Deck, and a 1TB Sabrent SSD to pop in it. Just browsing now for some stuff to fill it with......... although I do have a backlog of untouched stuff on my account alreay.
Nice rig! Yes, you need to load that device with sub sims, naval sims, and military sims, LOL!

During my annual Summer Sale pillaging of the Steam warehouse, I picked up...

Six Days in Fallujah
Ground Branch
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
Helicopter Gunship D.E.X.
1971 Indian Naval Front
Trepang2
Occupy Mars

Plus the Falklands War, Ford, and Queen Elizabeth DLC for Command: Modern Operations and the rest of the DLC for Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak that I didn't have.

So I'm good for another year. I hope some of the titles that I've been following are released in time for Summer Sale 2024!

Old 07-02-23, 04:03 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I'm not into violent game anymore-Now it's peaceful simulation games like ETS2, ATS, Farming simulator and Farmers Dynasty.

I have nine games and DLC on my wish list, two of them are on summer sale.
1. Raft
2. BeamNG. Drive

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 09:01 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I'm not into violent game anymore-Now it's peaceful simulation games like ETS2, ATS, Farming simulator and Farmers Dynasty.

I have nine games and DLC on my wish list, two of them are on summer sale.
1. Raft
2. BeamNG. Drive

Markus
Markus, if you get BeamNG.Drive, and if you like automotive design and engineering, consider getting this as well. It integrates with BeamNG.Drive:

Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game

You can then design your own cars, and you get to drive them.

I shouldn't play violent military games. It tends to aggravate my PTSD. But I'm retired military, and it's all familiar and, I don't know, oddly comforting because I know about it. But I'm glad that I'm retired and not still living that life.

Old 07-07-23, 09:03 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I gave BeamNG a try due to the sale, but I cannot recommend it. The game lost connection to the graphic card (so the error message) in practically every session I tried, after 1-3 minutes. And this after the menu already gave me a headache, "ergonomy" is pronounced differently than they do in this attempt. A completely unlustful way to waste a long download and then 40 minutes of trying to play. After the fifth crashed session in a row, I refunded.

Old 07-08-23, 09:23 AM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Thank you Skybird. Your comment made me come to the conclusion wait until it's final release and not now where the games development is in progress.

Instead I'm going to buy two more States to my American Truck Simulator-Texas and Montana They are also being sold for a reduced price.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 11:54 AM   #8
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

My son plays Beam NG all the time with no issues, for what it is worth.

It's a cool game, if it runs for you anyway.
Old 07-08-23, 07:08 PM   #9
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

Without any direction per se, I just picked up "Mordhau," for some reason.

Eh. Loved Chivalry, so let's see how this one plays out.
Dammit_Carl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-23, 06:31 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Yes BeamNG works flawless for many, but then there are also those for whom it means troubles. Hard to say why, its one of the reasons why I stayed away from it since years (the other was the absence of VR, though there is indications that that may change in the future).

Markus, try Wreckfest. Really, its damn good. 12 Euro currently for main title, 23 for the complete collection. People sometimes are surprised that the driving is quite physics based, is reasonable and feel quite good, believable. This is not just flying a Galaga-laser-fighting car into a swarm of Arcade aliens.
Old 07-12-23, 12:35 PM   #11
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I've only picked up one new game in the summer sale. Still a day to run I think.

Two years ago I stopped ignoring Fallout 4 and picked it up, also in the Steam summer sale for a tenner. I recently passed 500 hours in FO4, hitting level 110 in a survival run. That is a massive success for such a small investment.

But I've felt a bit lately like I had done it all in FO4, which is not literally true, still plenty of places I have yet to explore. But it felt like I had come near the end. So I started looking for a new game to play.

And it is amazing how many games I don't want to play. I looked at dozens or a hundred or more. Even the thirty or forty games on my wishlist failed to trip my trigger.

But my gaze fell on Fallout 76, and I thought why not? Another tenner got it done and so far I'm having fun with it. A new Fallout world to explore. The players I've encountered have all been cool, friendly.

A success so far, but just level 7. Long way to go and we'll see how I feel about it after a longer run.
Old 07-14-23, 05:57 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I've only picked up one new game in the summer sale. Still a day to run I think.

Two years ago I stopped ignoring Fallout 4 and picked it up, also in the Steam summer sale for a tenner. I recently passed 500 hours in FO4, hitting level 110 in a survival run. That is a massive success for such a small investment.

But I've felt a bit lately like I had done it all in FO4, which is not literally true, still plenty of places I have yet to explore. But it felt like I had come near the end. So I started looking for a new game to play.

And it is amazing how many games I don't want to play. I looked at dozens or a hundred or more. Even the thirty or forty games on my wishlist failed to trip my trigger.

But my gaze fell on Fallout 76, and I thought why not? Another tenner got it done and so far I'm having fun with it. A new Fallout world to explore. The players I've encountered have all been cool, friendly.

A success so far, but just level 7. Long way to go and we'll see how I feel about it after a longer run.
Add a zero to your playing time and you knwo where I am with it. 8 years. I must be crazy. Broadcasters hate it, I watch much less TV now. LOL.

Mods are why. Base building is my thing. Cozy inside, mean and lethal on the outside.

There are quite some game improving mods, changing the environment. Darker nights. Fewer light sources. Meaner storms. Bigger and striogner factions. More fighting. I use Workshop only, not Nexus.

For heavens sake, people: cheat the hell out of this game! Its rewarding.

------------

I bought Destroyer: U-Boot Hunter for 13 coins today.
Old 07-15-23, 08:48 AM   #13
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I picked FO4 up on a whim. Just cruising through the 2021 summer sale. Took a punt and it worked out great. If you have 5000 hours in FO4 all I can say is WOW!

I had started a normal run and by level 35 I was felling overpowered. So I started over in survival mode and didn't look back. There are many reasons I prefer it, but the combat is the real draw here. Much better combat balance in survival mode, especially how much damage enemies deal. The biggest downsides, like no fast travel and no manual saves, became part of the charm of playing this way. Survival mode is great and right in my wheelhouse.

I've used zero mods too. Straight vanilla and have had a great time, and I suspect a more stable one than most, according to the posts I often read.

I never really took to the settlement building. I'd say I did the minimum. I made sure the settlers were defended, watered and fed, but did not do extensive building. I had only just unlocked vault 88, which is probably the best spot for me to go wild with a serious settlement. But that happened just as I ran out of steam and went over to FO76. But I'm probably not done with FO4, just doing something else at the mo.

Having a good time with 76. I know it got off to a rough start, but I'm having fun with it now.
Old 07-15-23, 12:56 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

F4 tremendously improves with mods that take all the light sources out of the game and make nights really dark. Fighting in the night this way is a new ball game. Also a weather mod is a good idea. Finally, polish up the looks of the commonwealth, after so long a time you can expect that there is more green again. These mods never gave me stability issues. In general my stability of F4 is fully convincing.

Another thing are mods that strengthen factions, have them roaming around in big bands, armed to the teeth. They can have massively enforced strongholds in the game. With the 5 companions I roam around with, it really needs time to ugrade and armour them all for the day of battle, else you get plowed under. And these battles have nothing to do with default F4 battles, these battles are war, turnign for example all of Concorde into a battlefield, with lasting, very intense firefights. I also like to take on such strongholds alone, with sniper rifles and silenced weapons.

Finally I use mods that improve constuction of buoldings and settlement, add link points to individual wall segments and so forth. More lamps, furniture.

I use all mods via Workshop, not Nexus. Again, stability is not an issue for me. I had such issues, and abandoned the mods causing them, but it did not happen often.

edit:

I found a couple of old screenshots that I threw together in a 3 minute video. They all illustrate heavy mod use, the game I play has not much to do with default anymore. If you try that sort of game on "survive", you will soon scratch that word from the list of words you know. The last three pics are night shots, you will not see anything if your room with the monitor is brightly lluminated. In such coinditions its a lot about cat and mouse play. I sometimes freaked out when I suddenly crawled not an hostile whom I did not see. The night mod imo is one of the most important immersion mods.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-15-23 at 01:33 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 09:29 AM   #15
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Very nice. If I had gotten in to the settlement building I'd hope it would turn out like that! Your eye for building these things is good. Thanks for sharing the shots.

Meanwhile, I've owned 76 for about a week. Playing every day, ht level 25 already. The game gives new players a soft landing. The first 15 levels were rather easy, but combat really starts to kick off at level 15.

I've yet to die, which illustrates how the game eases the noob in. Having a great time with it. Good game, good community. Ten bucks well spent.