SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-11, 02:42 PM   #3166
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eers75 View Post
Huh? Im not sure what you took issue with my post on but im simply asking a question and didnt expect this type of response to say the least. To each his own but to me bringing back a damaged boat due to a legitimate battle doesnt warrant demotion. Im asking how to tweak this for my personal use and your response was a bit over the top in my opinion.
I think Kyster was kidding. Anyway, even if his not, let it roll of your back like water off of duck. Aside from that, Kyster is valuable. He comes up with fixes for the most bizarre, out of the way issues. One day he may help you out.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 02:48 PM   #3167
eers75
Seaman

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I think Kyster was kidding. Anyway, even if his not, let it roll of your back like water off of duck.
Im not one at all to get in to any type of argument on boards. Ive always found subsims forums to be most helpful and pleasant to read which is why his response was not expected and by all accounts to me uncalled for.

On topic I would still appreciate help in the paramaters that I may need to adjust on this. Thanks again to all who may help.
eers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 02:57 PM   #3168
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

You have reiterated your dissatifaction with kyster's post, even though he offered a solution (i.e. don't get your boat damaged.) I do not have a clue on how to change the settings your require to have the game tailored to your liking. I am sure that someone else does, however. I get demoted, retired, and killed often, BTW.
Old 04-13-11, 05:18 PM   #3169
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

errs75... I am sorry!

You'll probably be looking for increasing your boats hitpoints.
Increase armour levels.

May be found in .zon file and editable with S3D...

But I can't help my old skin creeping every time I hear of damaged boats... maybe I just read too many patrol reports.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 05:28 PM   #3170
eers75
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
errs75... I am sorry!

You'll probably be looking for increasing your boats hitpoints.
Increase armour levels.

May be found in .zon file and editable with S3D...

But I can't help my old skin creeping every time I hear of damaged boats... may be I just read too many patrol reports.
No problems mate, maybe im being over sensitive today not sure but lets call it water under the bridge. On topic though, I found some cfg files under upc that lists acceptable damage and I tweaked that and will try later tonight to see if that maybe the parameter im looking to adjust.

I often finish patrols with no problems it was just a little disappointing to me after a heated battle where I escape to be demoted and I just wanted to play around with it a little. I have S3D and will look into the files you listed as well. Im hoping that the upc.cfg and acceptable damage will do the trick. The value is listed at 40 which may or may not be what im looking for.

I will post back one way or another once im able to test it out.
Old 04-14-11, 05:24 AM   #3171
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
On 3 occassions now running only sh1.5/TMO 2.0/2.1 only mods with 100% realism, I have had to return to base with a very damaged sub as a result of skirmishes but with me limping home instead of awards im getting demoted to a lesser sub and cant seem to figure out why.

For example my last patrol I ran in to a taskforce and managed to sink a kongo and a mogami cruiser and escaped by the skin of my teeth with a sub that had very bad damage. I also play dead is dead with no replaying missions and such. When I get back to base im asked if I want to retire and of course I say no and im demoted to a porpoise. (I play asiatic in sargo starting out dec 8, 1941)

Is there a way to set a lower paramater im assuming for success in some way. I love this feature if I had done something careless but this seems a bit harsh lol. Any help would be appreciated and I thank all who reply in advance, cheers.
Since you didn't like Jan Kyster's answer, you may or may not like mine. In real life, if your sub was heavily damaged it would either require an extensive overhaul, or more likely would have to be scrapped. As fleetboats don't grow on trees, you would, at a minimum be sidelined for months. Even if it was decided to give you a better boat, this could not be done on the spur of the moment. You would have to train with a new crew, conduct a shakedown cruise, etc. Your superiors would hardly have taken someone else's command away from them at the last minute because your boat got shot to pieces. This is not so much a demotion or punishment as it is a lesson in the facts of life. There are more Captains than boats and yours just got totalled; that's the breaks. If you were judged a poor Commander, you would have gotten a desk job, or possibly even court-martialed.

You said you play DID, and 100% realism, so my advice would be to suck it up and take better care of the Porpose class.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 11:15 AM   #3172
eers75
Seaman

Ok, for some reason the fact that I had came here to these forums for advice on how to make a tweak in the game for my own personal enjoyment seems to have ruffled feathers. I never claimed that the change that I wished to make was historically acurate or in any way close to real life operations but simply that I was attempting to make a tweak as to bump up the enjoyment for me.

I havent been able to see if the change I made was the parameter I was looking for due to work schedule but should be able to see later today.

Im just gonna let this drop as it seems from the tone of responses that some have issues with my question/topic as the advice im receiving to my original question is to "suck it up" and "take better care of your boat" which for a question on game files and parameters is simply not what I was seeking nor did I ask for a lesson in history as to real fleet operations.

I apologize to any with issues with my topic and wish you all well as these forums have been most helpful on questions Ive had in the past but I was always able to find my answer by searching and this one I couldnt find.

Again my apologies and I wish you all well, cheers.
Old 04-14-11, 11:40 AM   #3173
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Does anyone else have a problem with "phantom" ships that you don't get credit for sinking, no matter how "sunk" they look?

I've run across a couple in my most recent patrol. One was a Hakasuka (not totally sure of the spelling) Maru, the large 8000+ ton one. Three shots made it slip mostly below the waves. Then it kind of froze, heeled over at least 60 degrees with just part of the bow sticking out of the water and debris floating about, but...I never got the "She's going down!" message and the accompanying credit.

I shot the remainder of my torpedoes, several dozen deck gun rounds, and a few hundred 40mm HE rounds into the apparent wreck, with no obvious result. Torps impacted and deck gun rounds punched holes in the ship, but...no credit.

I reloaded from an earlier save, ignored the phantom Hakasuka, then had much the same experience with a wayward Wakizaki (again, spelling uncertain) Patrol Boat (~1200 tons). It went down by the stern, then came to rest with about half the hull sticking out of the water at a steep angle. Very weird, as we were in water over 300 feet deep.

Is this a known TMO bug, or just more general SH4 foolishness?

FWIW, I had not been in this area of the ocean before on my current patrol, so I don't think it was the old "ghost ship" problem. These ships were on the move, not at anchor.
Old 04-14-11, 12:05 PM   #3174
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Ok, for some reason the fact that I had came here to these forums for advice on how to make a tweak in the game for my own personal enjoyment seems to have ruffled feathers.

I apologize to any with issues with my topic and wish you all well as these forums have been most helpful on questions Ive had in the past but I was always able to find my answer by searching and this one I couldnt find.

Again my apologies and I wish you all well, cheers.
I have followed your emails and the responses. You have overreacted. I do not read any of the responses as indicated that "feathers" were ruffled. They just said what you did not want to hear, which could be interpreted as sarcasm. Someone else may have the fix you are looking for.

No apologies were required, as your question was interesting. I for one doubt anyone has or holds a grudge re these posts. You have to go way overboard before that happens, and even then, most everyone ignores it. Remember, you are a duck. Water rolls off your back. So should the responses to your posts.
Old 04-14-11, 12:10 PM   #3175
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

More of a stock bug. It happens, but rare. Usually it's due to previously sinking a ship, reloading a save in that same area, the ship spawns again with the reload, but not really there. Still, it sometimes happens even if you don't sink it. Still, it's rare, I see it a few times per career.

Alt/tabbing out and back in may also be a factor.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 12:26 PM   #3176
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Hello all, just returned to sh4 after a year or so break and I have a question. First off great work on TMO and I was very excited to see 2.0/1 out when I returned and im loving it. However there is one aspect that I would like to tweak for me personally if possible and I believe it is but I cant remember how. I am somewhat familiar with modding but cant find the file that I need or parameters.

On 3 occassions now running only sh1.5/TMO 2.0/2.1 only mods with 100% realism, I have had to return to base with a very damaged sub as a result of skirmishes but with me limping home instead of awards im getting demoted to a lesser sub and cant seem to figure out why.

For example my last patrol I ran in to a taskforce and managed to sink a kongo and a mogami cruiser and escaped by the skin of my teeth with a sub that had very bad damage. I also play dead is dead with no replaying missions and such. When I get back to base im asked if I want to retire and of course I say no and im demoted to a porpoise. (I play asiatic in sargo starting out dec 8, 1941)

Is there a way to set a lower paramater im assuming for success in some way. I love this feature if I had done something careless but this seems a bit harsh lol. Any help would be appreciated and I thank all who reply in advance, cheers.
Actually, a damaged sub is deemed a demotion in game. Let's face it, if you came home with a ruined sub, but just took out two capital ships you would've been rewarded, stayed at the Admirals house and your ho's paid for. Instead of a lessor sub, you probably would've been sent to New Construction.

The patrol end is flawed terribly in the game, but much of it's hard coded.
They just didn't create enough endings to match your kill rate. Still, I have come home with a almost destroyed sub and been offered a new one, but think I sunk five carriers, other times came home after 100K patrol with a damaged boat and the Admiral is shaking his head wanting to retire me.

So, take care of that sub. In reality, your crew and sub should come first, unless you can strike a mighty blow. You did....and even lived.

This forum is full of much sub sarcasm, you'll get use to it.

Now take that POS boat out and do your job sailor.

Last edited by Armistead; 04-14-11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 12:33 PM   #3177
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

In ATO (OM/MEGU/KIUB), I saved my sub twice from Major Damage caused by air strikes. I can't help it if the damn sub doesn't submerge fast engouh! When I returned to base, command sent me home (or was it to the eastern front?) because I did not have what it takes to be an aggressive U-Boat Kapitan.
Old 04-14-11, 08:25 PM   #3178
eers75
Seaman

Just an fyi for any interested in a follow up to my question on the previous page. I ventured in to data/cfg/upc.cfg and found something listed as
AcceptableDamageUS=40
AcceptableDamageGE=40

I changed these values both to 99 just to test and limped home with a sub that had 82 on hull damage. Now my previous patrols where I had received this much damage I had been asked if I wanted to retire and reassigned to a new boat (always a lesser class/porpoise) but on this patrol there was no such message.

On this particular patrol I had sunk 3 tankers and a cargo ship for around 18k tons and i was not asked to retire and kept my boat.

On a subsequent test I changed these values to 55 and limped home with a sub that had a hull damage of 73 however my patrol wasnt quite as good with only 2 wakatke patrol boats sunk and I was asked if I wanted to retire etc.....

So in a very limited 2 patrol test with new campaigns after changing these values I believe these values may be the ones needed to change in order to be able to limp home with a damaged sub to your choosing and not get demoted. Im not 100% sure this is fullproof but so far its holding up.

Just posting this for any who may be intersted and I do realize that this may not be for everyone or maybe anyone but for me I can now keep enjoying my boat without worry of demotion to a lesser boat after a heated battle. If this does not hold true I will post again.
Old 04-14-11, 09:16 PM   #3179
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Just an fyi for any interested in a follow up to my question on the previous page. I ventured in to data/cfg/upc.cfg and found something listed as
AcceptableDamageUS=40
AcceptableDamageGE=40

I changed these values both to 99 just to test and limped home with a sub that had 82 on hull damage. Now my previous patrols where I had received this much damage I had been asked if I wanted to retire and reassigned to a new boat (always a lesser class/porpoise) but on this patrol there was no such message.

On this particular patrol I had sunk 3 tankers and a cargo ship for around 18k tons and i was not asked to retire and kept my boat.

On a subsequent test I changed these values to 55 and limped home with a sub that had a hull damage of 73 however my patrol wasnt quite as good with only 2 wakatke patrol boats sunk and I was asked if I wanted to retire etc.....

So in a very limited 2 patrol test with new campaigns after changing these values I believe these values may be the ones needed to change in order to be able to limp home with a damaged sub to your choosing and not get demoted. Im not 100% sure this is fullproof but so far its holding up.

Just posting this for any who may be intersted and I do realize that this may not be for everyone or maybe anyone but for me I can now keep enjoying my boat without worry of demotion to a lesser boat after a heated battle. If this does not hold true I will post again.
Interesting discover...I´ll try it in my next campaign.

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:44 PM   #3180
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I wonder if the numbers stop there. I've returned home with major renown, but a ship 90% damage and got a newer boat before.