SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-08, 09:00 AM   #196
SuperCavitation
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser
Thanks for the info. I forget to ask about the warning that goes with deleting those files. It says some are not stock, so if you delete them they won't appear at all. This throws me. Does it mean there won't be a contact image on the map or the ships disappear from the sim entirely?

Sorry to seem dense, but I'm not as fluent with the mods as many here are. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it. I guess I need to get into a few encounters too to help understand the changes.
I took it to mean that there are new ships included with the mod that you won't find in the regular game. So, there are no red sillouttes created for these new ships - there never were, just "blobs." Therefore, if you delete all of the dds files, you will lose all "blobs" for said ships and you won't be able to see them on the map, assuming you have map update enabled.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:04 AM   #197
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallydedpoet
Quote:
I would still like to know what the following is about....

"The FAQ mentions restoring "ship sillouttes" by deleting a whole mess of DDS files. What exactly are these?"

Plus, from reading this thread, I take it I do not need:

Historical 4 Blade prop fix
Environmental 4.0 (or the W_Clear version)

as they are already included in TMO. Is this correct?

Thanks
Instead of the blobs ( dots ) you get what the contacts look like in stock if you delete. Yes to the Historical Blades and the Enviromental Mod, both included.

RDP
Thanks for the info. I forget to ask about the warning that goes with deleting those files. It says some are not stock, so if you delete them they won't appear at all. This throws me. Does it mean there won't be a contact image on the map or the ships disappear from the sim entirely?

Sorry to seem dense, but I'm not as fluent with the mods as many here are. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it. I guess I need to get into a few encounters too to help understand the changes.
You have a question, I'll do my best ( or other's will ) to answer it, nothing to feel bad about.

Ducimus mentioned awhile back that some of the files he added are not stock so your right, in some cases they won't show up. I have what you are asking for my set-up and have not found to many instances where a ship does not have a corresponding shape, so I can live with this.

Try it out and see what you think, you could always back up what you are deleting so if you don't like it you can go back to your current set-up. Sound like a plan?

By the way there is also a mod at UBI that you may want to check out:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/4281098036
I am not poking fun by the way ( see name of the above mod ), rather it has some of the stuff you are looking for, plus a few other things.

Let me know how you make out

RDP

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 03-25-08 at 09:15 AM.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:04 AM   #198
SuperCavitation
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Is the unit cam that big of an issue?
Probably not everyone, but it was enough for me that I went after it saturday morning. LOL.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:19 AM   #199
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"The FAQ mentions restoring "ship sillouttes" by deleting a whole mess of DDS files. What exactly are these?"

Thanks
Instead of the blobs ( dots ) you get what the contacts look like in stock if you delete. Yes to the Historical Blades and the Enviromental Mod, both included.

RDP

You have a question, I'll do my best ( or other's will ) to answer it, nothing to feel bad about.

Ducimus mentioned awhile back that some of the files he added are not stock so your right, in some cases they won't show up. I have what you are asking for my set-up and have not found to many instances where a ship does not have a corresponding shape, so I can live with this.

Try it out and see what you think, you could always back up what you are deleting so if you don't like it you can go back to your current set-up. Sound like a plan?

I am not poking fun by the way ( see name of the above mod ), rather it has some of the stuff you are looking for, plus a few other things.

RDP
Thanks RDP...will do. I like having the ship tails and icons on the map. I do back up anything I mess with so I can roll back if necessary. Thanks for the link, too. I actually considered that mod version but decided against it. I played SH3 with lots of mods and feel confident I know how to handle the boat. I guess the best thing at this point is to get my feet wet and see how things work, make decisions from there. I will let you know how it goes.
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:24 AM   #200
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

RDP

RDP
Thanks RDP...will do. I like having the ship tails and icons on the map. I do back up anything I mess with so I can roll back if necessary. Thanks for the link, too. I actually considered that mod version but decided against it. I played SH3 with lots of mods and feel confident I know how to handle the boat. I guess the best thing at this point is to get my feet wet and see how things work, make decisions from there. I will let you know how it goes.
Ok scrapser, good luck with it

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 03:11 PM   #201
CinC Battleforce
A-ganger

Downloads: 19

found what i was doing. found the radars

thinks for a great mod
Old 03-25-08, 07:33 PM   #202
scrapser
Captain

Okay...I'm on my way to Japan and using the crossing as an opportunity to get back my familiarity. One thing I'm noticing is no matter what I do, the Options screen keeps resetting itself to "No External Camera". I try unchecking it, apply settings, start a career, and no free camera. I go back to options and the box is checked again.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. I installed the "SH4 1.5 Free camera Fix for Uboat. TMO, PE/ROW, Vanilla 1.5" thinking maybe that would help but still nothing.

I have:
SH4 1.5
TMO updated to current
RSRD updated to current
High Res Dials
Free Camera Fix mentioned above

Thanks
i7 920 CPU
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
WinXP Pro 32-bit
Old 03-25-08, 07:34 PM   #203
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Apologies if you are aware of this Ducimus, but... in TMO the subs seem to smoke even when underwater....

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 07:43 PM   #204
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I know. I dont quite understand that myself. I did test that before i put it up. I put in a controller which at the time seemed to stop the underwater rendering, but apparently its not working.

Its on my list of things to fix. If i can't fix it, ill just remove it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 08:25 PM   #205
Karbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 75

If you can't fix it I hope you give us the option to keep it as I like it.
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:13 PM   #206
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Problem for me is twofold

- Files, i consider too large and im trying to get away from mods installed over mods. (this Service pack thingy is a temporary measure)

- Personnaly, i dont use the external camera that much, so it doesnt bother me. However, If i leave it as is, i will hear nothing but nit picking complaints that will never end. I can document things 9 ways to sunday, but i garuntee ill keep hearing about the smoke rendering underwater and i will never hear the end of it. Rather then subject myself to that, id sooner just remove it.
Old 03-25-08, 09:33 PM   #207
scrapser
Captain

I'm not sure when I had the external camera working but it was definitely working at some point before the most recent TMO service packs. Are you going to leave it as is? I'm not trying to be a pest, just want to know it I should get used to not having it.

Thanks
i7 920 CPU
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
WinXP Pro 32-bit
Old 03-25-08, 09:35 PM   #208
claybirdd
Frogman

Downloads: 32

I recently began a new career with external cam turned off and I will probably never go back. This one option has turned up the immersion factor two fold. I also find myself using the hydrophones MUCH more often. Mabye someday ill turn off Auto Targeting.
claybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:46 PM   #209
scrapser
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybirdd
I recently began a new career with external cam turned off and I will probably never go back. This one option has turned up the immersion factor two fold. I also find myself using the hydrophones MUCH more often. Mabye someday ill turn off Auto Targeting.
Thanks for sharing. I don't use it for any combat purposes, just to enjoy the view at good moments. I used it a lot in SH3. If it's gone, it's gone. I would rather have a good mod without it then anything else.
i7 920 CPU
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
WinXP Pro 32-bit
Old 03-25-08, 10:39 PM   #210
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

If you start a game under "normal" difficulty, the external cam is turned off by default. You can turn it back on in the realism options menu though.