SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-22, 11:15 PM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
radar New Titles that You're Awaiting?

What's on your radar for upcoming releases that you're eagerly awaiting?

For me it would be:

Sea Power
Modern Naval Warfare
Broken Arrow

How about you?

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 04:38 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Civ VII.
Old 01-03-23, 06:28 PM   #3
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Civ VII.
Number seven is in the works? Last one that I played was five.

Old 01-04-23, 04:46 PM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
Number seven is in the works? Last one that I played was five.

Unfortunately there is no news on Civ 7. But a boy can dream.
Old 01-04-23, 06:24 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Unfortunately there is no news on Civ 7. But a boy can dream.
So, it's on the same list as Silent Hunter 6 and Dangerous Waters 2 then.

Old 01-06-23, 10:33 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Second Front (end of January).

Destroyer.

Task Force Admiral Vol 1.

Sea Power.

Manor Lords.

Major Update to Derail Valley (spring or summer).

Sherman Commander (Q4).

Tank Squad (Q4).

Six Days in Fallujah.

Modern Naval Warfare.

Full release of Tiny Combat Arena (February 22nd?)

B-17 II.

I tried Regiments by Microprose. Probably a good implementation for this genre, but too hectical for me, the whole genre, possibly. Refunded, therefore.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-06-23 at 11:11 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 12:08 PM   #7
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Second Front (end of January).

Destroyer.

Task Force Admiral Vol 1.

Sea Power.

Manor Lords.

Major Update to Derail Valley (spring or summer).

Sherman Commander (Q4).

Tank Squad (Q4).

Six Days in Fallujah.

Modern Naval Warfare.

Full release of Tiny Combat Arena (February 22nd?)

B-17 II.

I tried Regiments by Microprose. Probably a good implementation for this genre, but too hectical for me, the whole genre, possibly. Refunded, therefore.
Great list, Skybird. There are some on there thatnI need to look into for my wishlist.

I've been having great fun with Regiments. I can see how it would take some getting used to if you're not a player of combined arms tactical/strategy games. Things can get pretty busy. The Wargame series and WARNO are like that, too. I suspect that Broken Arrow will be more of the same. I love those type games, but I have the advantage of being retired military and knowing what all the various units are and what they do for most nations. That makes it easier.

Although, I did accidentally launch WARNO in command of the French forces the other day. I knew what the Mirages were, but had to look very closely at all that AMX stuff to get my bearings. Plus, I don't speak much French, so the radio traffic wasn't much help. I eventually managed to win, but it was pretty hectic!

Old 01-06-23, 04:56 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Its not the "combined arms" aspect driving me away, but the hectic. Its more an action game to me, like RTS often are (always?). A hectic click festival and with unrealistic time and space scaling anyway. I would prefer either sandbox simulations, hardcore or study cockpit sims, and turn-based things like hexfield cosims or Combat Mission titles. Thats why I have high hopes in Second Front in three weeks. The map screen of SBP also makes a great tactical strategy game.
Old 01-06-23, 08:37 PM   #9
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Its not the "combined arms" aspect driving me away, but the hectic. Its more an action game to me, like RTS often are (always?). A hectic click festival and with unrealistic time and space scaling anyway. I would prefer either sandbox simulations, hardcore or study cockpit sims, and turn-based things like hexfield cosims or Combat Mission titles. Thats why I have high hopes in Second Front in three weeks. The map screen of SBP also makes a great tactical strategy game.
I like the Combat Mission series, though the game engine and graphics are due for an update. But the gameplay itself is great. Yeah, RTS games are usually pretty hectic. In Regiments, you can use the interface options to scale just about everything, but even then it's a bit hectic, in typical RTS fashion.

Have you tried, "Unity of Command II"? I play that a lot. It's fun, and you actually get time to think. There's some good DLC, too.

I also like WarPlan and WarPlan: Pacific. Classic hex strategy.

Old 01-07-23, 06:54 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

I considered War Plan when it came out, but reviews mentioned its weak AI, that kept me away back then. Maybe it was chnaged meanwhile for the better?

Its been long time I played a classical hexfield cosim. The Operational Art of War III (strategic-operational level), and Flashpoint Campaigns (tactical level). Not Hexfield, but squares: Armoured Brigade. Recently, Flight Commander 2, also squares-based. Long Time ago: War in the East, the monster thing, you that one. That was overwhelming. Interesting, but not really enjoyable. I did not play the war to the end. It was more a warehouse management game. That may be realistic, war is logistics before anything else, but it is not what keeps me endlessly interested in a game.

Even longer time ago, many other cosims.
Old 01-08-23, 01:04 PM   #11
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
I considered War Plan when it came out, but reviews mentioned its weak AI, that kept me away back then. Maybe it was chnaged meanwhile for the better?

Its been long time I played a classical hexfield cosim. The Operational Art of War III (strategic-operational level), and Flashpoint Campaigns (tactical level). Not Hexfield, but squares: Armoured Brigade. Recently, Flight Commander 2, also squares-based. Long Time ago: War in the East, the monster thing, you that one. That was overwhelming. Interesting, but not really enjoyable. I did not play the war to the end. It was more a warehouse management game. That may be realistic, war is logistics before anything else, but it is not what keeps me endlessly interested in a game.

Even longer time ago, many other cosims.
They may have improved the WarPlan AI. It seems adequate to me. I especially like WarPlan: Pacific.

I have War in the West, and want to pick up either War in the East or War in the East 2, not sure which to buy yet. I've also been looking at The Operational Art of War IV, and there's a relatively new one out called Attack at Dawn: North Africa that I'm considering.

Gary Grigsby's stuff takes some heavy dedication to the game. It's more like having a career than playing a game, LOL!

Old 01-28-23, 06:27 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

I played Flashpoint Campaign, and skipped Germany Reforged, but maybe will give this upcoming Steam release later this year another go. In the original, the devastating helicopter weapon of the Sovjets and the mediocre aiming precison of the Abrams somewhat spoiled it for me. The gaming system however was extremely, very extremely good.