SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-23, 01:10 PM   #1
JSilva
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Plotting an intercept (Kreuzeraufgabe, or Cruiser Problems), in GeoGebra

A few years ago I got a document---from this community, I think---on how to plot an intercept course, based on techniques from the Kreuzeraufgabe ("The Cruiser Problems").

Having recently returned to SH3 for some more submarine action, I decided to re-create the Kreuzeraufgabe in GeoGebra, an education tool. I'll still apply the method "by hand" in SH3, but I hoped that by doing it in GeoGebra, and playing around with the settings, I could get a better intuitive understanding of the method. For instance, it seems that distance to the target doesn't change the heading the u-boat must take. Maybe it can be useful for some of you as well.

Here it is:
https://www.geogebra.org/classic/mt9p4j7m

A few notes:
  • This is for what the Kreuzeraufgabe document describes as "Case 1", or the "intercept" situation, where the u-boat is able to move faster than the target. I'd like to soon also re-create "Case 2", where the u-boat is slower than the target and the method allows finding the closest possible approach.
  • I think that this is working, but this is my first time using GeoGebra and it's always possible to let errors creep in, with all the knots-kmh conversions and the switches from polar to Euclidean coordinates. So, take it with a grain of salt and don't lose tonnage by trusting it fully and missing an intercept.
  • Having no experience with GeoGebra, I don't really know how sharing works on the platform. Hopefully the link above will be enough.
  • I'm posting on the SH3 sub-forum, as that the game I'm playing, but the method is general.
JSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-23, 10:52 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

JSilva!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-23, 11:02 AM   #3
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

thanks for your work
GeoGebra is an interesting visualization tool.
Kreuzeraufgabe“ is a term used for many navigational problems, „Aufkommen“, „Aufbleiben“, „Stellung einnehmen“ etc. I've learned that there are multiple solutions to the same problem. The solution they use is based on the methods of Walter Wunderlich. I prefer the methods from „Mathematik und Marine“ 1936's.
Case 2 „Aufkommen“ (v<u) you will find another solution in my video ,

I find this to be simpler, faster.

greetings

Tags
kreuzeraufgabe, plotting