SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-21, 08:01 PM   #16
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469
Uploads: 0

Bud I'm just Pick'n I am so excited for this .

Thank you!

4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 11:21 AM   #17
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4H_Ccrashh View Post
Bud I'm just Pick'n I am so excited for this .

Thank you!

lol I figured. Just letting you know
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 02:02 AM   #18
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Do I need the original TMO 2.5 before the newest 2.5 update? I can't get TMO to run. The directions are really convoluted, the names of a couple of the files in the required readme aren't actually the names, I figured that part out, won't start for me gives me an application load error

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 10-05-21 at 02:15 AM.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 02:55 AM   #19
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Do I need the original TMO 2.5 before the newest 2.5 update? I can't get TMO to run. The directions are really convoluted, the names of a couple of the files in the required readme aren't actually the names, I figured that part out, won't start for me gives me an application load error
Fresh SH4 install & the following mods, in this order which are included in the unzipped folder/s for TMOverhauled v2.5 after downloading here: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...80&postcount=1)

1- Trigger MaruOverhauled v2.5
2- Nav Map MakeOverTMO Update
3- NavMapMakeOverTMO UpdatePatch
4- Allied ships pack -TMOverhauled v2.5
5- Ships for TMOverhauled v2.5
6- EAXsound w-o Websters maneuver for TM
7- TMOverhauled v2.5 different smoke & splash effects
8- IJN_Radar_Fix_2
9- Torpedoes Early_TNT
9-B TMO_Aft_deckguns_Updated
9-C EarlyWarScopesV1
TMO-New depth charges-Type95(until 08-43)*
TMO-New depth charges-Type2(after 08-43)*

* = special note... just one of these mods, for depth charges to be activated at a time... both are listed here, with special date notation included by Me, to clarify which to use 1st & which to replace the 1st with at the appropriate date.

Hope this helps, clarify how best to activate TMOverhauled v2.5

M. M.
Old 10-05-21, 08:22 AM   #20
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

Hello, it is unfortunate found the directions convoluted, I did attempt to make it easy to understand and first user have had mentioned found it confusing, but I understand. Having said that, I am glad to help you get moving.

No, the TMO update does not require the previous version of TMO, simply download the update and installed into mods folder. All required additional mods are included in the download, please see the folder inside the TMO 2.5 Update download labeled "Required Mods" and there are important optional mods in there as well as README clearly explains.

Your install order in JSGME should be:

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final
NavMapMakeoverTMOUpdate (Required-Included in download)
NavMapmakeoverTMOupdatePatch (Required-Included in download)
Allied Ship Pack TMO (Required, see Subsim downloads section under ships)
Ships for TMO (Required, see Subsim downloads section under ships)
EAX Sound Simulation without Webster Maneuver TMO by Vickers03
TMO2_Different_smoke_and_splash_effects by Vickers03
IJN_Radar_Fix_2 (Required-Included in download)
Any Optional mods included with TMO and TMOupdate.(See optional mods folders included in the download)*
Others mods of player choice . Of course be wary of conflicts as can break the mod!

Among the optional mods, you should select based on the time period as README explained.

TMONewDepthCharges Type 95 should be enabled between December 1941 and late 1943.

TMO NewDepthCharges Type 2 should be activated late 1943 until end of the war. As the specified above , these are optional mods included with the download and the activation order is shown above.

This has to be done to reflect the different depth charges used by IJN during the war. The extensively revised damage model of player submarines was created to work with these depth charge mods. If you choose not to activate them, you will have the default TMO depth charges which will likely find are very over powered and will not interact with the damage model properly, so choose one of the included depth charge mods based on appropriate time period.

Same with torpedoes as from December 1941-February 1943 want to use the Torpedoes Early TNT, which is included in the download.

The Torpex Torpedoes mod included should be activated when on patrol from February 1943-end of the war. This represents the switch from US torpedoes using TNT explosive in warheads to Torpex, which had more power and thus in the sim, will notice the Torpex torpedoes are more effective.

The Australia Torpedoes (Torpex) should be activated if running an Australia based boat from February 1943 onwards. Everything is the same except the dates the magnetic features are disabled, reflecting history.

Let me know if need any further help. Please refer to the master TMO Update released thread below.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250635
Old 10-05-21, 11:19 PM   #21
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Finally got it working! I had to put the folder in the main steam folder and I had forgotten to enable LAA, in any case when ever I put the game in an outside folder it never works for any of the mods installed. Very hard, I'm having prematures ect. I might have to play baby settings. Anyway my steam is in a programs x86 folder but on an E: drive instead of the default C: all three mods I've installed work. now. Thanks again! This is very very dark nights in the mod. Should be easier to approach on the surface like they really did. Thanks for all the time you put into this bubblehead!
Old 10-06-21, 12:59 AM   #22
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Finally got it working! I had to put the folder in the main steam folder and I had forgotten to enable LAA, in any case when ever I put the game in an outside folder it never works for any of the mods installed. Very hard, I'm having prematures ect. I might have to play baby settings. Anyway my steam is in a programs x86 folder but on an E: drive instead of the default C: all three mods I've installed work. now. Thanks again! This is very very dark nights in the mod. Should be easier to approach on the surface like they really did. Thanks for all the time you put into this bubblehead!

Glad to hear you got things working, glad to help. Enjoy the mod and let me know about your patrol experiences in the mod.

TMO is at its core, a difficulty mod, so definitely a challenge, even for experienced players.

Yes, the nights are definitely dark now, this was done for reality as it gets pretty quite most nights on the open ocean and so could pull off realistic surface attacks in manner subs actually did.

Torpedoes definitely will malfunction now unless you have malfunctions disabled in the options. The malfunctions reflect the historical issues with the Mark 14 torpedo from start of the war until September 1943...

1. Run 10+ feet deeper than set. This was mostly resolved in late 1942 and nearly completely solved by mid 1943 with new production models of MK 14 torpedo. In the sim issue gets better in late 42 but persists , albeit it less frequency until mid 1943 and rare after June 1943. the Mark 10 torpedo runs 4-6 feet deeper until February 1942. The Mark 18 torpedo in first six months after available has depth control issues as well.

2. Premature explosions. Just as in real life, the magnetic detonators tend to prematurely explode. By default, the sim associated this with wave height but I disliked this as the issue was not wave height, it was a sensitive exploder not properly tested and tuned to account for variations in magnetic signatures in the actual areas would be used in combat. I changed it to no matter the sea state, torpedo has a certain chance of prematurely detonating, which has proven a more realistic portrayal of the issue.

3. Duds, much as in real life the dud torpedo problem is masked (mostly) by the magnetic detonators until they are disabled, then will get a high percentage of duds until September 25, 1943. This is when the first torpedoes with new firing pins were deployed on patrol. Duds problem solved. Trying to fire "glancing" hits with torpedoes, where their angle at impact is 45 degrees or less (not easy ) will lessen duds.

4. Gyro failures are a bit more common. Sometimes gyros failed and torpedoes did not track properly.

5. Circle runs. A real issue during the war, especially Mark 18 , but Mark 14 during early days. Two US (Tang and Tulibee) submarines are known to have been lost to circle running torpedoes during the war, possible several others were as well.

Torpedo issues were part of the US sub experience during the war and are in TMO as well, I would encourage you to run the sim with them enabled once fee comfortable. This keeps tonnage levels during early part of the war. Every patrol thus far in my first career since completing mod, I have only sunk one or two ships on patrol and it is a struggle to get that lol. Missed out on a aircraft carrier and several other merchant vessels in four patrols due to premature but also brought about some of the best encounters in this sim in early war. Below is a link to a written account of one engagement on my last patrol with screenshots. Scroll down to my last post "SS-183 vs KIGAN MARU"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...93#post2772793
Old 10-09-21, 07:57 AM   #23
1Patriotofmany
Commander

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get your TMOwTW working right though, I may have posted this already, my mind is a sieve today after work. I've tripled check everything, I get random crashes soon into the start of a campaign. Weird I have regular TMO working but can't get it's counterpart to work! I'll give that one more try. Dang computers. This is on a 7 machine, I can't even get SH4 vanilla to work on win10 let alone any mods even with all the posts on how to run it on 10.
Old 10-09-21, 08:10 AM   #24
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get your TMOwTW working right though, I may have posted this already, my mind is a sieve today after work. I've tripled check everything, I get random crashes soon into the start of a campaign. Weird I have regular TMO working but can't get it's counterpart to work! I'll give that one more try. Dang computers. This is on a 7 machine, I can't even get SH4 vanilla to work on win10 let alone any mods even with all the posts on how to run it on 10.
Hi,

TMO wTW (TMO with Training Wheels) is not my mod. My mod is Trigger Maru Overhauled 2.5 UpdateBH Revised Final.

TMO wTW is an older mod and may not be compatible with V 1.5 of SH 4 and coudl be causing the CTD or if you have mods not compatible with TMOwTW enabled, likely the issue as well.

My mod can be found here at this link:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5965

Don't forget the Revised Readme at this link:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5970

THe required ship packs are available in the SH 4download section under ships
Old 10-09-21, 11:06 AM   #25
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

I was running TMOwtw on SH4 v 1.5.

Patriot, did you delete the Data file before starting TMOwtw?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 10:35 PM   #26
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quite aware that TMO and TMOwTW are two seperate mods, got TMO working fine. With wheels was stumping me. Constant crashes. All solved now, uninstalled the original steam installation, reinstalled and somehow it found with the uboat expansion files that inluded the mods folder from other mods. Deleted the mods folder, then installed TMOwTW, success!!!!!!!!! All golden no crashes Working great. Frankly I'm not good enough to run TMO with no overview map of what's going on. Training wheels good, Bubble head reality bad for me as I don't want to die in five minutes
Old 10-09-21, 10:43 PM   #27
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I was running TMOwtw on SH4 v 1.5.

Patriot, did you delete the Data file before starting TMOwtw?
I deleted so much stuff, I was hoping my wife's two barking dogs were deleted. It took a complete uninstall and reinstall of Steams wolves of the pacific and the wolves of the pacific uboat missions. Then some how the latter self found the latter files, and I had to delete the whole mods file. Then I did multiSH4, LAA , installed TMOwTW and activated. working beautifully! Frankly I'm not manly squid enough to run regular TMO. ALL SOLVED NOW! NO CRASHES, NO SAVE PROBLEMS, NO LOAD SAVE PROBLEMS!
Old 10-10-21, 07:42 AM   #28
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Huh! Tama Maru!

When first identified from afar, my watch officer noted it as a 'Tama Maru.' Looking thoroughly through the ship recognition manual under merchants
9since 'marus' are typically merchants) I couldn't find it. Upon closer inspection through the scope, it was obvious that it was no merchant. A review of the manual under Japanese warships gave us a page. Interesting! (It killed us.)

Old 10-10-21, 08:07 AM   #29
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Huh! Tama Maru!

When first identified from afar, my watch officer noted it as a 'Tama Maru.' Looking thoroughly through the ship recognition manual under merchants
9since 'marus' are typically merchants) I couldn't find it. Upon closer inspection through the scope, it was obvious that it was no merchant. A review of the manual under Japanese warships gave us a page. Interesting! (It killed us.)

Ah, yes, You fell victim to a "Q-Ship" also known as a decoy ship. A merchant converted to a ASW vessel with best sound gear/sonar available at the time, depth charge launchers, heavy deck guns and auto cannon/machine guns, as well as a highly competent crew. Tough for even most experienced Captain. They are more prevalent in early war, but they are tough no what matter period of war and even for the most experienced captains.

How did it kill your boat? I assume depth charge? Provide date/time/location please? Boat depth?
Old 10-10-21, 08:12 AM   #30
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
How did it kill your boat? I assume depth charge? Provide date/time/location please? Boat depth?
Yes. Our early version Gato couldn't dive deep or fast enough.