Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-15, 11:25 PM   #2641
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
,,,http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...reign-ships-d/ man it didn't take long to take that story down,,, well try here,,,http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ious/28935549/ I hope Russia kicks our commie butts that will learn us for crying over an old battle flag,, while our cities burn.
It would help if your newest amphibs were built to carry landing craft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_%28LHA-6%29
Old 06-23-15, 11:37 PM   #2642
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Wondered when you'd show up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I used to think it was NATO breaking some agreement not to enlarge that was poking at the Bear. But after reading this, it appears no such promises were made.

http://csis.org/files/publication/twq09aprilkramer.pdf
Can't say I'm wholly surprised, would have been an odd thing to agree to...officially at least.
That being said, putting yourself in Russias shoes, with a military that's falling apart, an economy based solely on oil and countless internal concerns, your rival for the past 60 years expanding to your border isn't exactly going to be received well. I mean, historically Russia likes to put at least half a country between itself and its enemies, preferably more.
The expansion of NATO could have been handled better than it was, but that's how it goes, the question now is how much involvement NATO and EUFOR should consider having in the Ukraine and surrounding territories. Particularly in a climate where most of the members of NATO cannot actually afford the militaries that they're fielding.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 12:14 AM   #2643
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

It is all about the cold war resolution and post cold war security system.

The later was inherently ubstable due to the rosy ideas it was built upon and last time global security system failed horribly was the WW2.
Old 06-24-15, 03:55 AM   #2644
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
The expansion of NATO could have been handled better than it was, but that's how it goes, the question now is how much involvement NATO and EUFOR should consider having in the Ukraine and surrounding territories. Particularly in a climate where most of the members of NATO cannot actually afford the militaries that they're fielding.
Makes one wonder why we wish (well our politicians that is) to increase the NATO sphere of influence towards the Russian border whilst we did nothing but disarm ourselves not long after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Old 06-24-15, 08:55 AM   #2645
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Makes one wonder why we wish (well our politicians that is) to increase the NATO sphere of influence towards the Russian border whilst we did nothing but disarm ourselves not long after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Since when is anything that is decided by NATO or EU based on logic?
Old 06-25-15, 03:24 PM   #2646
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

It not only the military build-up even the exercises are more frequently and more realistic than ever before.

In a recently released report-The Coming Storm from cepa.

http://www.cepa.org//sites/default/f...compressed.pdf

Said a huge Russian exercise in March was a an exercise on taking, Gotland, Åland, Bornholm and northern part of Sweden or Norway.

I didn't know that Russian exercises are more of a offensive role and a NATO exercise is more of a defensive role

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 05:36 PM   #2647
Oberon
Lucky Jack

I'm still not convinced that Russia is going to go about invading the Baltic States, NATO members.
Old 06-25-15, 05:57 PM   #2648
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
I'm still not convinced that Russia is going to go about invading the Baltic States, NATO members.
First I heard about in the News then I read about it online in a Swedish News paper.

Here an expert said these exercise is nothing more than a psychological game and we should not overreacting. We should however take the threat to the Baltic States serious.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 10:39 PM   #2649
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Can't be too much longer before one side or the other starts the much vaunted 'summer offensive'.
Arguably it'd already started, albeit in a limited/localized way. There have already been a couple of major spikes in the fighting.

As for the Baltic states, honestly I think the Russian regime knows better than to try and take a bite out of them - but it's to their advantage to play up the threat, so that they tie up NATO forces and manage tension effectively.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 02:46 AM   #2650
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

I heard Ukraine has passed the law legalising foreighn peacekeepers. Possible overt NATO intervention?
Old 06-26-15, 04:54 AM   #2651
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

By the way, did anyone hear anything about the alternative channel route in Nicaragua and Russian/Chinese basing in there?
Old 06-26-15, 05:18 AM   #2652
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
I'm still not convinced that Nato would respond in force if that ever happened. We see every day how much a signed piece of paper is worth when it becomes inconvenient *coughEuro/Greececough*. I can't see us going head on with Russia in full force even if they attacked one of the Baltic countries.

Last edited by Schroeder; 06-30-15 at 04:32 AM.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 07:25 AM   #2653
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Threads merged.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 07:32 AM   #2654
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
As for the Baltic states, honestly I think the Russian regime knows better than to try and take a bite out of them - but it's to their advantage to play up the threat, so that they tie up NATO forces and manage tension effectively.
Fully agree, it makes strategic sense to stretch NATO out as much as Russia can, in order to weaken the front.
Old 06-26-15, 07:41 AM   #2655
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

In real terms however the opposite occured - we had to move units around as we had 0 military presense on the eastern Ukrainian border.

Same applies for the increased NATO presense in Baltics/Scandinavia - we would have to move units around yet again, probably form new ones (a difficult thing to do with the manpower shortage we have).

Tags
nato, putin, ukraina, ukraine, ukrajna