SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-20, 11:17 AM   #811
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I do not recall off the top of my head about that KaleunMarco... I'll have to dig out the notes and see what I have stowed away in my grip. The Tower has to match the mast that has to match the radar, etc., and all of them have to have the dates correct. s7rikeback found more date issues just today, and we had thought we had them all weeded out before. But that's what it sounds like KaleunMarco, is a date issue either in the sub's conn, or the upc files for the sub, or the equipment...
that is probably the root cause of what i experienced. for some reason, my conning tower/turm upgrades, which are automatic and not selectable, always seem to be screwed up. however, there is no hurry to fix it. just put it on the list.
i've already re-installed the previous version of surface radar so everything should be working on the next patrol. kind of like real life: take a new piece of equipment out on patrol and it fails. return to port and put the old one back in.
Quote:
As a side note, the ST is available at Pearl 01-01-1945 for the first patrols of the Tench boats, so wouldn't be on the Balao for a re-fit until mid-January. I would think a Midway boat might see it the beginning to mid-February... Does (did??) the SD work? I know there is no screen for that in SH4 (why??), but you should be getting reports of aircraft by 12nm at the latest, with the improved SD, if you weren't already given the SV Elite along with the SJ...
yes, all previous versions of surface radar functioned as expected. the displays, control knobs, contact reports were all as expected. the problem-radar was not available until February so that date seems to be in line with expectations. most probably the problem is caused by associated equipment mentioned above.
i do not play with Air Search Radar other than early warning(no scope checking, running the antenna up-and-down, etc). once i receive aircraft warning, i pull the plug and take her to 150 feet for 20 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 11:34 AM   #812
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Nice work
At some point I want to try FOTRS, but first I want to get more familiar again with SH4 on a low difficulty level. Currently playing TMOwTw 2.5 + OTF.
How is the gameplay difficulty compared to the regular TMO 2.5 or TMO+OTF+RSRDC (Ralle's Modpack) ?

Thanks!
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 11:41 AM   #813
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that is probably the root cause of what i experienced. for some reason, my conning tower/turm upgrades, which are automatic and not selectable, always seem to be screwed up...
Conning Tower "upgrades" should be like the New Boat offers, in that if there is not a new boat available, but there is a conning tower that you do not have, then you should be asked if you want the new tower, or decline it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Nice work
At some point I want to try FOTRS, but first I want to get more familiar again with SH4 on a low difficulty level. Currently playing TMOwTw 2.5 + OTF.
How is the gameplay difficulty compared to the regular TMO 2.5 or TMO+OTF+RSRDC (Ralle's Modpack) ?

Thanks!
XS
Usually easier than wTw and Stock both. There is still the occasional over-zealous DD or DE skipper that tries to win the war single-handily, but for the most part, they are docile.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-23-20 at 11:51 AM. Reason: duh doi gorsh... messed that one up...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 02:40 PM   #814
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Conning Tower "upgrades" should be like the New Boat offers, in that if there is not a new boat available, but there is a conning tower that you do not have, then you should be asked if you want the new tower, or decline it...
nope. never happened. not once in 20-some missions.
when i play Dark Waters, it doesn't happen there, either. (not my fault)

LAA enabled
Old 04-23-20, 03:29 PM   #815
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yeah, the circumstances of there not being a new boat available, versus the conning tower does not happen often... I wonder if towers can be treated as any other piece of equipment on the subs... of course, we all know how well the new deck gun or new radar works...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 09:37 AM   #816
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Yeah, the circumstances of there not being a new boat available, versus the conning tower does not happen often... I wonder if towers can be treated as any other piece of equipment on the subs... of course, we all know how well the new deck gun or new radar works...
Admittedly a faulty memory here, but it seems as though the times I was offered a conning tower refit were all out of Perth/Fremantle. But the only times I started a new patrol was usually in a older boat in the Asiatic Fleet, so that would make sense too. Have never started a new career out of Pearl or Midway. I've started to, but the early "adventures" always seem more attractive out of Cavite/Manila, regardless of boat. Anecdotal info at best, I know, but the point is, it does happen if you turn down a new boat once in a while.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 02:58 PM   #817
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Would it be possible to make Dark Waters compatible with FotRSU?
Or is it already compatible?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 06:23 PM   #818
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Would it be possible to make Dark Waters compatible with FotRSU?
Or is it already compatible?
why would you want that?

FOTRSU is pacific specific and Dark Waters is atlantic specific.

two totally different mod sets. ships, subs and aircraft are configured totally different based on which side you are playing.

your best bet is to read up on MultiSH4 and keep two installations....one for each. then you can play whichever one you feel up for.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=1110

LAA enabled
Old 04-24-20, 09:51 PM   #819
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Wow I’m an idiot. I thought that Dark Waters was the Pacific, not the Atlantic.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 10:16 PM   #820
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Just downloaded your mega package and got inside the Purpoise boat for navigation training to get my first impressions, really nice, I like the new positioning of my 1st Lieutenant, it makes more room to navigate inside. Its posture is also more natural...Am I wrong or is the command room larger now?

Game Performance:
Wow, my good GTX 1660 6GB hits the 40% load, there must be a lot of additions inside this mod (Never mind, I'm joking). No tearing in the grafics, nice smooth movements possible. Fine! I use a framecap of 300 to slowdown the GPU load in the menus which otherwise would go much higher - not necessary; in-game on the bridge with many ships the FPS goes on average to 300, so that cap makes sense. Lower computer specs will have their problems I guess, but that's not my case.

Things I noticed:
On the A-Scope radar the right mouse button will not send you back to the conning tower, also clicking on the upper ladder to go to the bridge will CTD the game, but this was before I had erased my savegame folder from a previous mod, so I corrected that and have redone all the settings, and it seems to be ok now. Also applied the 4GB Patch.

Suggestions:
Click on 1st Officer near the map in the Command Room should trigger the crash dive order, and not sub management which is already present, that way all important commands can be clicked on the items or other crew members.
I don't think this can be done, but it would be really nice if you also could use the right mouse button to go the previous view if you are on the map, in the captain's log (or radio messages) or in the sub management section.

Congrats for this huge pack and the many unit additions

Greetings,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-24-20 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 11:08 PM   #821
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Wow I’m an idiot. I thought that Dark Waters was the Pacific, not the Atlantic.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.
no confusion, just wondered.
both mods are excellent. and vastly different.
good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 04-24-20, 11:11 PM   #822
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Museum will crash the game after fresh game start (mod additions make the game go out-of-RAM I guess...)
yes, this is consistent if you use the museum...and then try and play the game.
if you use the museum, you must exit and re-start the game.

no offense, but i could swear the FOTRSU crew put that in their release notes.

well, anyway, now you know.
have fun. good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 04-24-20, 11:58 PM   #823
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes, this is consistent if you use the museum...and then try and play the game.
if you use the museum, you must exit and re-start the game.

no offense, but i could swear the FOTRSU crew put that in their release notes.

well, anyway, now you know.
have fun. good luck.

Right, and they also say to apply the 4gb patch. Sorry, i have edited my post above before reading you.
Old 04-25-20, 02:52 AM   #824
Fousek
Nub

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Type XVIII playable on USN side from the start ?

Hello,

i am enjoying FoTRS a lot.

Still i would be happy if i could start a fun game where i can choose lets say the german SUBS. Especialy the Type XVIII or simmiliar to that sub.

Is it possible ?

Also is there a way how i can start win any kind of sub at the beggining of the game ?

Thank you
Fousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 08:10 AM   #825
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fousek View Post
Hello,

i am enjoying FoTRS a lot.

Still i would be happy if i could start a fun game where i can choose lets say the german SUBS. Especialy the Type XVIII or simmiliar to that sub.

Is it possible ?

Also is there a way how i can start win any kind of sub at the beggining of the game ?

Thank you

Well, in SH3 you do this with SH3Commander which will tweak the savegame files. SH4 is a bit different, more of the style of SH5, but the structure is almost the same here: if you know what you do you can tweak these files to get the result you want (different sub). AFAIK there is no tool like SH3Commander for SH4, or yes?
I would start to look in the [Player] section of the main.cfg file in your savegame folder, then in your specific savegame 0000000x which should be a bunker save...The entries are editable and should take effect.
On to work. Good luck

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-25-20 at 08:28 AM.