SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-22, 11:47 PM   #4711
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
Just watched this Youtube video regarding using JSGME V2.6 and from what this video is showing me all I would have to do is download it to my game file in Steam. It has a backup file that goes back to original if you cancel the mods.
Is this out of date information? It was made back in 2015 however it seems the same version of JSGME is being used.

Yes, v2.6 is still the current version... I believe.

M. M.
Old 06-05-22, 12:06 AM   #4712
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Yes, v2.6 is still the current version... I believe.

M. M.
So could I just do this with my Steam install and install the FOTRS Ultimate mod into the mod folder?
According to the video if there was a problem it should revert back to the backup folder to run the game on. Worst case scenario I could uninstall and reinstall from the online Steam app correct?

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 01:03 AM   #4713
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
So could I just do this with my Steam install and install the FOTRS Ultimate mod into the mod folder?
According to the video if there was a problem it should revert back to the backup folder to run the game on. Worst case scenario I could uninstall and reinstall from the online Steam app correct?
Yes... & Yes.

M. M.
Old 06-05-22, 06:06 PM   #4714
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Trying to download the 7zip app to unzip the FOTRS mod.
However as you can see from the 7z download page there are several, several different downloads to choose from.
Not being familiar with the app which one do I use?

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

-ME
Old 06-05-22, 06:18 PM   #4715
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Trying to download the 7zip app to unzip the FOTRS mod.
However as you can see from the 7z download page there are several, several different downloads to choose from.
Not being familiar with the app which one do I use?

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
This 1, if you have... Windows 64 bit op sys:

https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z2107-x64.exe

if, you should run into issues using that 1.. can fall back to this one:

https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.exe

M. M.
Old 06-05-22, 07:05 PM   #4716
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Ok.
Thought I was good to go.
Installed JSGME into SH4 directory.
Downloaded FOTRS Ultimate mod into directory (Properly).
Game starts up just fine showing new intros.
Can't believe the added content on all aspects of the game.
From training and an unbelievable amount of different training scenarios.
The amount of individual war patrols is incredible.
They are what I play mostly.
Now here's where the problem starts.
As soon as I go to load anything up whether it's training or a patrol it shows the load up screen and the I get the big CTD!!
Any ideas what's causing this?
I was really looking forward to a Sunday evening of running this MOD.

-ME
Old 06-05-22, 10:55 PM   #4717
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Ok.
As soon as I go to load anything up whether it's training or a patrol it shows the load up screen and the I get the big CTD!!
Hmm... 3 things, come to mind...

1. Did you use Multi SH4, so as to have separate game save folders...

which leads to..

2. Did you clear out the save folder/s, from any other previous attempts, to run it (SH4) before starting up on this run through.?

& finally...

3. Before running this set up of FotRS-U, did you either... patch the SH4.exe, with a 4 GB patch, or assign that same .exe, 4 GB access, using Large Address Aware (or LAA, as some refer t it, by... ) ?

In My view, LAA... is so easy, a cave man could run it. 3 steps... & done.

1. Point LAA @ your games .exe

2. Check the box, to assigning it access to utilize 4 GB's of RAM access... NOT that it may use all 4, just tells Windows, that the games .exe has that right to access 4 GB's of RAM.

3. Clicking 'Save', &...

Done.

Eazy peazy, Mac & cheezy...

M. M.
Old 06-05-22, 11:01 PM   #4718
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Ok.
1... additional thing...

Take & open up the JSGME for your FotRS-U mod set up, click on 'tasks' there, in the center of the JSGME, scroll down to the last item there in the sub menu that'll show up after clicking 'tasks'... & chose 'export to.. clipboard.

Doing that, will allow you to paste-post the mods activated list, here in a reply back to asking you to do that... so it can be seen just what mods your using, what order they're in... as it could be, that you may have added in a mod that is NOT usable with FotRS-U, & may be that you have 1 or more.. not in the right order of activation...

Either 1 of those, could also lead to running into a CTD, as well...

As can, running the museum, & starting a single mission or career... too.

M. M.
Old 06-06-22, 01:18 AM   #4719
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Got it running.
Had to go in and initiate the LAA program allowing more that 2 gig of ram.

Do have a complaint though.
Was playing an early patrol "Two of a Kind" with an old S boat where I was supposed to sink enemy destroyers that where heading my way.
Fired off two fish the ran in front and then two more that just missed and ran behind. Went to 200' which I didn't think the S boats could go that deep and moved out of the area to reload. While reloading I watched 2 of the 3 destroyers looking for me but they where nowhere near me. I had dropped below the thermocline layer and crawled out of the area. Anyway I cruised around waiting to finish reloading all 4 tubes while catching up on "Silent Victory by Clay Blair..lol.
As I was finishing reloading of tube 4 I came to 100' and turned back towards the 2 destroyers hunting me. One of them must have picked me up because he was making a beeline for me. so I went to periscope depth and turned head on with him and lined up with a perfect cross bow shot. He was showing me a port 30 degree angle coming across my bow at under 1,000 yards. Fired 2 torpedoes at point blank range and he "*******ing disappeared from the screen.
WTF!! When I looked around both destroyers were gone.
So I failed the mission just as I was about to get my first kill.
Don't get me wrong the mod is beautifully done. Great graphics, all the extras but what good is it if you can't even play the game properly.

-ME
Old 06-06-22, 01:24 AM   #4720
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
1... additional thing...

Take & open up the JSGME for your FotRS-U mod set up, click on 'tasks' there, in the center of the JSGME, scroll down to the last item there in the sub menu that'll show up after clicking 'tasks'... & chose 'export to.. clipboard.

Doing that, will allow you to paste-post the mods activated list, here in a reply back to asking you to do that... so it can be seen just what mods your using, what order they're in... as it could be, that you may have added in a mod that is NOT usable with FotRS-U, & may be that you have 1 or more.. not in the right order of activation...

M. M.
Actually I perused the museum for quite a while wanting to check out the new ships. Didn't have any CTDs.
As you can see from previous post everything seemed to run all right.
Started with navigation training mission just to try everything out. Ran it to the end, no problem.
Started a war patrol to check it out. Again seemed to run alright.
Because it was late I decided to do a single mission as stated in my previous post. While I didn't have any CTDs the destroyers I was hunting pulled a Houdini on my.
Game seems to run all right on my system all but for the glitches that didn't have anything to do with me.

-ME
Old 06-06-22, 08:09 AM   #4721
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Actually I perused the museum for quite a while wanting to check out the new ships. Didn't have any CTDs.
Started with navigation training mission just to try everything out. Ran it to the end, no problem.
Because it was late I decided to do a single mission as stated in my previous post. While I didn't have any CTDs the destroyers I was hunting pulled a Houdini on my.
Game seems to run all right on my system all but for the glitches that didn't have anything to do with me.
Several of the Single Missions are "timed" scenarios that have to be completed within a certain time frame. I don't think the author of the files put any notation of that in the files, so we'll attempt to either add that to the files, or just change their termination times, that way it won't be as much of a surprise. For me, the really frustrating one is when you travel all of the way to Attu to attempt to intercept a freighter that is due to depart Attu on a certain date, and you have to dodge this that and the other DDs and DEs enroute, to end up being a tad tardy getting there, but you can find the ship on sonar, and give chase. Ten hours later, you gain visual contact, do a painfully slow run-a-round, get into firing position, and POOF! - it disappears before your very-sonar ears... sigh - up periscope and nothing to see here... lol

As a little side-note for FotRSU, while its "roots" are TMO v1.7, its AI settings as delivered are closer to TMOwTw (TMO with Training wheels), hence the inclusion of add-in mods in the Extras folder to increase the game's AI response. You can also add tougher "Dud torpedoes" and various other options from there. Since FotRSU has several major differences in ship and air plane calls, as well as campaign changes, it is recommended to not add any mods that are not in the Add-InModzPak, or linked to on the Download page, such as Nippon Maru, Nihon Kaigun or Fleetboat Interiors. Also, the S-Boat in FotRSU is basically a "stock" version of the boat, and not as much of a rust-bucket as in Webster's S-Boat, TMO-BH or Real Fleet Boats (RFB) mods. While you still can't go very deep in them, they are more akin to a showroom floor model from 1920 than they are to a rust-bucket model from 1942. Also, the thermocline along the Aleutians is generally found near periscope depth, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, but generally no deeper than 125 feet.

One really important thing to remember about the game is that, even though there is a menu with Career, Multi-Player, Single Mission, Single Patrol, Museum, as well as other choices, those main menu items I mentioned by name are very similar to "modes" of the game. Not all computers are the same, but generally speaking, if you use one particular "mode" of the game, such as Single Mission, and then decide that you want to see the Museum, after you exit your Single Mission, you should exit the game itself, re-start the SH4.exe, then go into the Musuem. That way, Windows itself clears all of the game's memory buffers completely, and then SH4 starts fresh for the next "mode". You can sometimes do that with no issues, but the Museum does load each and every asset in the game, and does use the most memory of them all.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 01:33 PM   #4722
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it was the group of sailors with the rum cache...then they caught a spark or piece of flaming debris from the Maru and....there went the rum.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 02:44 PM   #4723
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
1... additional thing...

M. M.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

One really important thing to remember about the game is that, even though there is a menu with Career, Multi-Player, Single Mission, Single Patrol, Museum, as well as other choices, those main menu items I mentioned by name are very similar to "modes" of the game. Not all computers are the same, but generally speaking, if you use one particular "mode" of the game, such as Single Mission, and then decide that you want to see the Museum, after you exit your Single Mission, you should exit the game itself, re-start the SH4.exe, then go into the Musuem. That way, Windows itself clears all of the game's memory buffers completely, and then SH4 starts fresh for the next "mode". You can sometimes do that with no issues, but the Museum does load each and every asset in the game, and does use the most memory of them all.
+1

What propbeanie said, was the gist of My original posting... about that salient point... propbeanie, put a bit more spit & polish on the explanation, than I did when I .... 1st mentioned, about it...

M. M.
Old 06-06-22, 08:07 PM   #4724
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Is there a way to put the TDC back to the original clearer black dials with clear white markings?
I realize we're going for realism here but this moss covered looking dials are very annoying and hard to read in a pinch.
Plus they cover most of the ship diagram on the torpedo arming station.
Most of what I have seen in old photos the dials have always been a clear black and white.

https://maritime.org/tech/tdc.htm

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/124200902209227757/

https://alchetron.com/Torpedo-Data-Computer

-ME
Old 06-06-22, 10:16 PM   #4725
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Is there a way to put the TDC back to the original clearer black dials with clear white markings?
I realize we're going for realism here but this moss covered looking dials are very annoying and hard to read in a pinch.
Plus they cover most of the ship diagram on the torpedo arming station.
Most of what I have seen in old photos the dials have always been a clear black and white.

https://maritime.org/tech/tdc.htm

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/124200902209227757/

https://alchetron.com/Torpedo-Data-Computer
I am going to guess that you are referring to this TDC in FotRSU (tough to get the whole thing in a screen grab from in the conning tower):

... but might also be referring to the periscope screens of this:

Versus this, at least as far as the dials go:

We did have plans for something similar, but not as "stark" or "washed-out" as the Stock image there. However, it will definitely NOT be in the next version. It ~might~ make the version after next, but then again...

As for the actual TDC machine in the Tower, that is the "original" Stock version in FotRSU, and is non-functional, and as such, the devs drew it like that. There are other plans in the works for that also, but again, "time" is a factor here... Several of the boats are quite different from the others. There are no promises for anything. We'll do what we can when we get to it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote