SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-23, 01:37 PM   #16
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

BTW, here's a playlist of interrogations of various people (including Baldwin) involved in the accident:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kox2rqd5li0HXV
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 02:40 PM   #17
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

John Schnider did some youtube stuff way they do it first several times each person check make sure it unloaded 1873 sa means spinning the clinder and poping it out alex and them didn't do it next they look at the rounds guess what they didnt do that 1873 sa you got to thumb the hammer back only two ways it will go off if the hammer is resting on a round and gets hit or a hair trigger fbi check the weapon out no faults of the weapon so he did it and he should stop telling bs lies
Old 01-20-23, 03:33 PM   #18
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
I handle firearms on a daily basis, this was no accident, it was an incident, and it was negligent on the part of both the onsite armorer and Baldwin.
The courts will decide.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 07:04 PM   #19
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Old 01-20-23, 07:13 PM   #20
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

My first experience with firearms was when I was around 8-10 years old and it was my uncle Who taught me important things like.

1. Always treat the gun/rifle as it was loaded.
2. Never point the gun/rifle at someone.
3. When checking for dirt in the (forgot the word) you look from behind-Where the thing use to sit(you have removed it to clean to see if this pipe is clean-By watching it from behind up against some light.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 08:13 PM   #21
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

John Schneider explains everything in them videos hope you guys watches them.John Schneider been doing tv and movies since late 70's so he is a expert on sets and stuff but anyway you put it a bullet has no brains it is going hit where aim
Old 01-20-23, 08:17 PM   #22
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
John Schnider did some youtube stuff way they do it first several times each person check make sure it unloaded 1873 sa means spinning the clinder and poping it out alex and them didn't do it next they look at the rounds guess what they didnt do that 1873 sa you got to thumb the hammer back only two ways it will go off if the hammer is resting on a round and gets hit or a hair trigger fbi check the weapon out no faults of the weapon so he did it and he should stop telling bs lies

I saw this John Schneider Youtube video as well. I completely agreed with his assessment as well.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 10:48 PM   #23
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The courts will decide.
the law is pretty clear on what constitutes "involuntary Manslaughter" and the rules governing the safe handling of firearms is also quite clear.
New Mexico's statute regarding manslaughter:

B. Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to felony, or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death in an unlawful manner or without due caution and circumspection.

4 rules of firearm handling:

1. Always Keep Firearm Pointed in a Safe direction. Never point your gun at
anything you do not intend to shoot.
2. Treat All Guns as Though They are Loaded.
3. Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger until You are Ready to Shoot.
4. Always Be Sure of Your Target and What's Beyond It.

The FBI tested the firearm in question and found no mechanical or material defects, nor could they get the weapon to fire without pulling the trigger.

Baldwin broke rules 1 and 3, and a woman died as a result, He's guilty as charged.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 01:12 AM   #24
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
the law is pretty clear on what constitutes "involuntary Manslaughter" and the rules governing the safe handling of firearms is also quite clear.
New Mexico's statute regarding manslaughter:

B. Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to felony, or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death in an unlawful manner or without due caution and circumspection.

4 rules of firearm handling:

1. Always Keep Firearm Pointed in a Safe direction. Never point your gun at
anything you do not intend to shoot.
2. Treat All Guns as Though They are Loaded.
3. Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger until You are Ready to Shoot.
4. Always Be Sure of Your Target and What's Beyond It.

The FBI tested the firearm in question and found no mechanical or material defects, nor could they get the weapon to fire without pulling the trigger.

Baldwin broke rules 1 and 3, and a woman died as a result, He's guilty as charged.
That's the way I see it. Given the ridiculous expense of producing movies today, it's hard to justify using a functional firearm anymore.

Now for the edit.
Actors are just that, actors. It's not expected for them to be experienced firearm owners with well drilled safety habits. In Star Trek, it was common for the actors to be firing their phaser practicals accidently, and you can see it get past the cutting room into final product at times. The question I have is did Baldwin know the prop gun was a functional firearm? "Cold" gun, or not, did he know? Was he expected to know it was a functional firearm because he was informed it was?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 01-21-23 at 01:43 AM.
Buddahaid is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 03:19 AM   #25
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
That's the way I see it. Given the ridiculous expense of producing movies today, it's hard to justify using a functional firearm anymore.

Now for the edit.
Actors are just that, actors. It's not expected for them to be experienced firearm owners with well drilled safety habits. In Star Trek, it was common for the actors to be firing their phaser practicals accidently, and you can see it get past the cutting room into final product at times. The question I have is did Baldwin know the prop gun was a functional firearm? "Cold" gun, or not, did he know? Was he expected to know it was a functional firearm because he was informed it was?
since the movie in question is a western i'll answer with western all westerns start to end uses real firearms the so call prop guns are made out of plastic or rubber and are use for throwing a firearm stuff like where you wouldn't damage the real deal.so let talk Duke last movie the shootest after Ron Hower shoots the bartender and throws the firearm that was a prop gun as the real pair was a presentation that was giving too Duke,josie wales real although they did use a rubber walker in one part of the movie,some movies they do use nra trainers,the movie gettyburg most of the guys in it are reenactors so during the shoot little round top where the camera is infront of the The 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment reenactors and they are firing just blackpower into the camera the crew is behind a prixyglass,they shouldnt been a live round anywhere around the set of rusk so much safety was thrown out of the window i'm surspise didn't happen sooner
Old 01-21-23, 06:58 AM   #26
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I hope this will result in significant changes on movie sets.

1. There is no need to use real guns. Fake guns can be manufactured that are identical in appearance to real guns. Also gun flashes and gun noises are always fixed in post. The only thing the actor/gun has to do is simulate the recoil and honestly when was the last movie that had actual recoils in it? Actors are paid a lot of money to.. well.. act as in making believe they are doing something.

2. There should never, and I mean never, be live ammunition on a movie set with the exception of security forces.

3. If there is recreational shooting on an outdoor set (a really bad idea) , the shooting needs to be done off set in another area. The recreational shooting range should have no overlap with the film set. The set needs to be cleared of all weapons and ammunition before it is opened to the filming crew/cast. That means everything is inventoried and locked up before work starts.

This is day one stuff, film crews.
Old 01-21-23, 09:58 AM   #27
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I hope his stupid arse goes to jail. Drugs, alcohol could have been involved couple that with screwing around with firearms and someone will get shot and die. You do not need to be a firearms expert to know how dangerous they can be. All you need is just an ounce of common goddamn sense.

After his feeble lie that he never pulled the trigger who knows if his statement being told ‘cold gun’ is true.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 10:24 AM   #28
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Baldwin said he had pulled the hammer of the gun back as far as he could and released it but did not pull the trigger which is bs only way to lower the hammer is to squeeze the trigger and lower the hammer with your thumb so let take this a little farther a true replica of 1873 the firing pin is on the hammer so even if he had managed to lower the hammer without going off the pin is sitting on a round not going take much to set that round off
Old 01-21-23, 10:26 AM   #29
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
A prop gun cannot give you the "realism" needed for firing a firearm. IE; loading, recoil, weapon cycling, spent casing extraction, etc.

Quote:
Now for the edit.
That is why an armorer or prop master is on set whenever firearms are present, they are responsible for the for securing the weapons, function testing, and ensuring the "actors" are handling the firearms in a safe manner, that includes safety briefings, and individual instruction if needed.

Case in point: for John Wick, Keanu Reeves learned to shoot 3gun and spent time shooting at ranges.

Granted not all actors are "trained" like Reeves was, but that's where the armorer comes in, they are the ultimate authority when it comes to the safe handling and use of firearms on a movie set. And they have set rules and procedures they are supposed to follow. In this case they weren't followed, because a woman is dead and she shouldn't be.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 11:10 AM   #30
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
Baldwin said he had pulled the hammer of the gun back as far as he could and released it but did not pull the trigger which is bs only way to lower the hammer is to squeeze the trigger and lower the hammer with your thumb so let take this a little farther a true replica of 1873 the firing pin is on the hammer so even if he had managed to lower the hammer without going off the pin is sitting on a round not going take much to set that round off
You are correct the trigger must be pulled to lower the hammer. Not meaning to get side tracked, a real or true replica 1873 Colt single action allows the hammer to be lowered and locked just before touching the primer. Back in the Wild West days when people may have loaded all six rounds it was considered the safe position. But it was soon found not to be very reliable, these days most if not all carry only five bullets and lower the hammer on an empty cylinder.

Anyone in their right mind with an ounce of common sense would not have tried to operate it if they didn’t know what the hell they were doing. My opinion of him would be different too if he admitted responsibility for his actions which lead to an accidental shooting. Instead he‘s going down the road of the anti-gun crowd of blaming the gun and everyone else. He’s just an arrogant S.O.B. trying to weasel his way out of it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-21-23 at 12:03 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote