SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-23, 07:03 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Alec Baldwin formally charged with Manslaughter in 'Rust’ shooting of Halyna Hutchins

Alec Baldwin will be criminally charged for his part in the " Rust " movie scene where Baldwin fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Quote: New Mexico prosecutors brought the same charge against the movie’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, after a real bullet was fired from a prop gun by Baldwin on the movie set in October 2021.

Assistant director David Halls, who handed the loaded gun to the actor, accepted a misdemeanor charge in a plea deal. “If any one of these three people — Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, or David Halls — had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today. It’s that simple,” special prosecutor Andrea Reeb said.

Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed will both be charged “in the alternative,” meaning the jury will decide which of the two charges — involuntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter in the commission of a lawful act — they are or are not guilty of. The first charge carries a maximum sentence of 18 months, but because the second charge includes a firearm enhancement, both Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed would face a mandatory five year sentence if convicted.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/19/alec-b...lyna-hutchins/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-says-rcna7189

Baldwin has said the gun fired by itself. Anyone who knows guns knows this is an impossibility. The only way that could happen is if a round was already chambered in the breech and the guns hammer was struck, from a fall or blow. This would in turn strike the firing pin, firing a round.

Secondly, what was live ammunition doing on a movie set ? This killing sounds like a cover-up for an intentional murder.

Thirdly, anyone who knows and understand guns automatically assumes the gun is loaded and doesn't point it at anyone. That being said, guns with blanks are pointed at people in Hollywood movies without deadly consequences all the time.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-23, 07:23 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

And I understand that he wasn't supposed to even be pointing it at the victim in the first place. She wasn't an actor rehearsing a scene with him. He was horsing around I think.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-23, 07:29 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Not even the husband of the killed woman says that it was anything different than an accident. I assume the weapon master, who is also charged, mistook the rounds when preparing the weapon for the next scene. That soaunds like the most plausible hypothesis to me so far.

Or a third person replaced the rounds after that preparation, then it would be either murder, or manslaughter due to somebody making a "joke" by wanting to scare them, assuming the bullet would go into a wall or tree. But i dont think so.

I think I read that the weapons master had a problem with her work license or the police or an according job before. But that was back when the incident happened, so is some time agao now, and so I dont remember exactly anymore.

And that much i care not anyway.
Old 01-19-23, 07:57 PM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Don't forget the 480 fatal shooting accidents that happen every year in the US. This is just one involving a disliked personality.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-23, 08:20 PM   #5
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Don't forget the 480 fatal shooting accidents that happen every year in the US. This is just one involving a disliked personality.

I think you may have it backwards. Baldwin wasn't a disliked personality until he murdered someone and then made up a story and lie to cover up his stupidity.
Old 01-19-23, 09:28 PM   #6
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I think you may have it backwards. Baldwin wasn't a disliked personality until he murdered someone and then made up a story and lie to cover up his stupidity.
Perhaps but he also mocked Trump and faced the ire of MAGA devotees.

David Bowie
Old 01-19-23, 10:05 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:

That may be true as well. This incident that Baldwin has just been charged with has just added fuel to the fire.
Old 01-19-23, 10:54 PM   #8
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:

He's not hated like Vietnam veterans hate Jane Fonda.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-23, 11:09 PM   #9
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Baldwin has said the gun fired by itself. Anyone who knows guns knows this is an impossibility. The only way that could happen is if a round was already chambered in the breech and the guns hammer was struck, from a fall or blow. This would in turn strike the firing pin, firing a round.
That's generally true for real guns. But the quote says "a real bullet was fired from a prop gun". Maybe the "prop" functioned like a real gun, maybe it didn't. What I find a little surprising is that a prop would be able to fire a real bullet without exploding itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
And I understand that he wasn't supposed to even be pointing it at the victim in the first place. She wasn't an actor rehearsing a scene with him. He was horsing around I think.
I read earlier that he was pointing the gun "at the camera" as he practiced cross-drawing. I suppose the deceased was standing very near to the camera.
Old 01-19-23, 11:34 PM   #10
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
That's generally true for real guns. But the quote says "a real bullet was fired from a prop gun". Maybe the "prop" functioned like a real gun, maybe it didn't. What I find a little surprising is that a prop would be able to fire a real bullet without exploding itself.

I read earlier that he was pointing the gun "at the camera" as he practiced cross-drawing. I suppose the deceased was standing very near to the camera.
What you have said makes sense. To be completely fair, I wasn't there and have no idea what really happened. I do know Baldwin's account of the gun firing by itself is impossible.

Further, what was real ammunition doing on the set of a movie ? Certainly the prop people check that, repeating those checks over and over. I would assume people will be trying to answer that in the coming months.

Safety certainly wasn't a concern on this movie set or perhaps it was just incompetence. Never, ever assume anything, especially a firearm, is safe without checking. I would have thought they would know that without being told. Complacency and or assumptions are something that cause tragedies and for lives to be lost.
Old 01-19-23, 11:43 PM   #11
Buddahaid

Quote:
Well that clears that up.

David Bowie
Old 01-20-23, 03:00 AM   #12
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:

You mean Hanoi Jane.
Old 01-20-23, 03:28 AM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

My feelings about it: I feel deeply sorry for Alec Baldwin (and that is not meant to be dismissive of the deceased in any way)
Old 01-20-23, 06:11 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

IMHO it was a tragic accident but if negligence is proven then the person at fault will obviously be answerable.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-23, 11:15 AM   #15
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
IMHO it was a tragic accident but if negligence is proven then the person at fault will obviously be answerable.
I handle firearms on a daily basis, this was no accident, it was an incident, and it was negligent on the part of both the onsite armorer and Baldwin.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote