SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-22, 12:14 PM   #31
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

INEVITABLE FALLOUT: That old gent who wrote his PhD on the foxtrot! was a second father to me. I was his go-to guy: front line or goalie as needed incl. liming the the field for games. <the 2 of us '71 Unfortunately, he died during the summer on a summer architecture trip to Italy twixt my junior and senior year; costing me the expected A-team goaltender position. The new coach, a braggart Norwegian national team import, was a jerk and brought in a basket-baller who proceeded to have a miserable season. So I simply practised soccer, which allowed the team to hold full-game practises; but played both fall and spring Rugby senior year on the weekends all over the midwest incl tournements; which pißed off the Norge coach who wasn't using me anyway primarily 'cause I was having too much fun for the imported English professor, (actually from Rugby, England); who'd introduced the club-sport my freshman year-incl. my liming the pitch, and procuring the postgame Hamm's kegs!?? My soccer teammates understood I'd been deprived after 3 years as B team goalie/A team inside, never missing a practice in 4 years; and demanded the athletic dept award me a letter which it did...the petty politics I tells ya! 4 of them later joined me on the Spring season pitch, giving Rugby a tryout!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-14-22 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add photo of me & coach
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 02:15 PM   #32
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
INEVITABLE FALLOUT: That old gent who wrote his PhD on the foxtrot! was a second father to me. I was his go-to guy: front line or goalie as needed incl. liming the the field for games. Unfortunately, he died during the summer on a architecture trip to Italy twixt my junior and senior year; costing me the expected A-team goaltender position. The new coach, a braggart Norwegian national team import, was a jerk and brought in a basket-baller who proceeded to have a miserable season. So I simply practised soccer, which allowed the team to hold full-game practises; but played both fall and spring Rugby senior year on the weekends all over the midwest incl tournements; which pißed off the Norge coach who wasn't using me anyway primarily 'cause I was having too much fun for the imported English professor, (actually from Rugby, England); who'd introduced the club-sport my freshman year-incl. my liming the pitch, and procuring the postgame Hamm's kegs!?? My soccer teammates understood I'd been deprived after 3 years as B team goalie/A team inside, never missing a practice in 4 years; and demanded the athletic dept award me a letter which it did...the petty politics I tells ya! 4 of them later joined me on the Spring season pitch, giving Rugby a tryout!

I'm very sorry for your loss. Great coaches / teachers / mentors have impacts that lasts a lifetime. I have had a few that i have lost. It sounds like you have had great times and have great memories with your former team mates.
I have my souvenirs from my playing days in the form of many aches and pains, something you pointed out earlier. My knees and ankles are prone to changes in the weather and just ache. I see at least one knee replacement in my future.

By the way, You're a good sport. I knew when I cast a bit of " shade " your way, that it would be taken in the fun loving way I meant it. I would expect nothing less of a sea faring, hockey loving, truck driving, former Rugby rogue. It's always great fun when you can " needle " another member here who has a great sense of humor. Of course, we have many other members here with a great sense of humor as well. It makes Subsim fun and helps to give Subsim the friendly and awesome reputation it currently enjoys.

I Hope you had a great birthday yesterday with your family and friends.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 02:58 PM   #33
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
By the way, You're a good sport. I knew when I cast a bit of " shade " your way, that it would be taken in the fun loving way I meant it. I would expect nothing less of a sea faring, hockey loving, truck driving, former Rugby rogue. It's always great fun when you can " needle " another member here who has a great sense of humor. Of course, we have many other members here with a great sense of humor as well. It makes Subsim fun and helps to give Subsim the friendly and awesome reputation it currently enjoys.

I Hope you had a great birthday yesterday with your family and friends.
Quote:
Funniest Post of the Year
Quote:
Funniest Post of the Year - Honorable Mention
Quote:
Funniest Post of the Year
You're being too kind! Growing up in a boy's prep and college locker rooms' ruthless lockeroom "drop the soap" banter with later utterly rancid police barracks " Hey! this baton'll really fit him"... ribaldry was merely cross-training preparation for my sojourn on this spinning overly warm pandemic'd mudball... ably seconded by Wolferz, Jimbuna, Armistead, Fireftr18, et al; as evidenced by The Bilge.; the 5 word story game; birthday threads, whack games etc. Self-deprecating humor is essential as you've got to mock yerself before you can fairly dish it out to others! EXAMPLE: and you recently gave me a great 'straightline' in the French coat thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW
Now, Aktung's head will be even bigger than it was before.
Thank God! Now my headsize will shrink back down...temporarily!!!
keep it up ya 'shady' bugger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-13-22 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 12:00 AM   #34
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Hold the phone.....breaking news!

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
Old 03-15-22, 12:04 AM   #35
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
^ That was my HS & college Letterman fall sport sport at the goalie or inside position < ('72) I'm the good lookin' one!...half
a century ago!!!

St. Olaf?:Kaleu n_Salute:

And by "72", you mean 72 AD?
Old 03-15-22, 04:09 PM   #36
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Just a minor detour from the topic. My previous post, just in case anyond wondered, was in jest, in my own peculiar way. Not that I expect attention was paid but I just like to clear it up.

That being said. I still say calcio storico is where it's at... :p
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 04:43 PM   #37
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Hold the phone.....breaking news!

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
Here's something funny/sadly-Depending on how you see it

Quote:
The football sold for $518,628 on Saturday through New Jersey auction company Lelands, with the high price driven in part by the belief that it was used for what would be the last touchdown pass ever thrown by one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. Roughly 24 hours after the auction closed, Brady announced via Twitter that he would return to the NFL, marking a tough break for the winning bidder.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-bra...on-500000-nfl/

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-22, 09:42 AM   #38
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Here's something funny/sadly-Depending on how you see it

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-bra...on-500000-nfl/

Markus

I called it. You don't walk away from something that you love, something that has been your entire life up to that point. Not saying that has never happened but like Brett Farve it's very difficult to give up something so central to ones identity. Especially while people are throwing you buckets of cash to come play for them.

There has been speculation that this was a ploy by Brady to get out of his Buccaneers contract and go play for a third team, maybe the 49ers, but the Buccs weren't willing to let him go like Robert Kraft did back in '20.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-22, 10:02 AM   #39
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
American football is for sissies, rugby is for burly sissies, aussie footy is for athletes and calcio storico is for certified lunatics.

/fighting words
Quote:
Just a minor detour from the topic. My previous post, just in case anyond wondered, was in jest, in my own peculiar way. Not that I expect attention was paid but I just like to clear it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKhooker
I can state unequivacally that 'Merican football is 'Rugby fer pußies!.
Now i know why yer on my friends list!
<support yer local hooker BBY!

Old 03-21-22, 01:34 AM   #40
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Its pretty easy to try out.
You (or your parents) need to have a good medical plan in place.
After that, all you need is a good pair of cleats and your tallest pair of black socks, the most minimal pair of shorts in your drawer, and a really thick Rugby shirt (the thickness minimizes the blood stains and keeps the mud out of your open wounds).
When they ask if you have a cup, say "No, why would I have a cup?" and you'll be welcomed to the team.

Always remember the first rule of Rugby- DON'T GET CAUGHT. The rule book is fairly flexible when it comes to moves that would get you suspended in other sports.
If this is all starting to sound like a gang fight, believe me, gang fights have more rules.

My parents will be SO receptive to this new sport!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 06:12 PM   #41
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool If we can hold out....till 2031!

RUGBY BETS IT CAN CONQUER AMERIKA WITH ITS WORLD CUP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daze WSJ
In 1920 and 1924, the U.S. won Olympic gold medals in rugby—and then the sport largely receded from view there. Now rugby is about to complete its centurylong climb back to the American spotlight.
At a meeting in Dublin on Thursday, the World Rugby Council is expected to award the 2031 men’s Rugby World Cup and the 2033 women’s World Cup to the U.S.
The move is a gamble that a premier global sporting event can stage its biggest event in a place where its audience and participation are modest—and the national federation, Rugby USA, was in bankruptcy proceedings as recently as 2020.
Rugby types like to say their quadrennial showpiece ranks behind only soccer’s FIFA World Cup and the Summer Olympics in global sporting interest. An EY report on the 2019 tournament, held over 44 days in prepandemic Japan, claimed the event added 2.3 billion pounds to the host nation’s GDP and attracted 242,000 international fans who stayed an average 17 days. Rugby USA projects 3.1 million tickets could be sold for a 48-match men’s World Cup. Two dozen cities have pledged to host matches in either or both 2031 and 2033. President Biden wrote a letter of support to World Rugby in early April.
Rugby’s presence in the U.S. remains small, though. USA Rugby says there are now about 109,000 registered high school, college and adult players, but half that number drop out annually. The pro Major League Rugby (MLR) is in its fifth year and averages about 3,000 spectators per match for its 13 teams, which operate under a $500,000 annual salary cap.
USA Rugby officials forecast the events will cost $500-600 million to host, and World Rugby chief executive Alan Gilpin says the global governing body will seek private capital sources to help fund the sport’s growth in the U.S. during the next decade and hopefully beyond.
The awarding of the tournament to the U.S. is the culmination of an unlikely quest by the country’s rugby enthusiasts, who put time, effort and their own money into securing.
Darren Gardner, a native of Australia who is an employment relations partner for a San Francisco firm, has spent 22 years in the U.S. spreading the rugby union gospel, coaching junior teams and more recently as part-owner of MLR’s San Diego Legion. His fellow devotees include real estate financier Ryan Patterson, also a one-time junior rugby coach whose investments include a San Diego restaurant group.
Another enthusiast is fitness group F45 Holdings chief executive Adam Gilchrirst, an Austin, Tex-based Australian who sells his own beer and cocktail drinks on the sidelines at home games of his MLR teams, the LA Giltinis and Austin Gilgronis. (The team names combine Gilchrists’ surname with a Martini and a Negroni, respectively.)
The trio lead a group that has quietly bankrolled the four-year effort to win the World Cup bid, paying for feasibility studies and consultancy work.
“The U.S. rugby community is as passionate as any in the world and I believe that hosting RWC will transform the sport of rugby in the U.S.,” says Gardner.
Yet there is still a feeling of incredulity in local rugby circles that the showpiece of their sport is about to be awarded to the U.S.
“There’s an almost an ‘I can’t believe this is going to happen’ feeling still going on within the rugby community and there’s also an element of ‘I don’t know if they know what’s coming either’ — it’s going to be huge,” says Rugby USA chief executive Ross Young.
Gilpin says the sport could easily keep rotating its World Cup between established rugby nations like England; 2023 host France; New Zealand, home of the fearsome All Blacks; and South Africa. But that would not fulfill its mandate to grow the sport internationally.
“If we’re going to create the kind of growth — audience growth, revenue growth and ultimately hopefully participation growth — it is through these events in the U.S.,” says Gilpin.
The U.S. has since gained “preferred candidate” status for 2031 and 2033 (Australia has it for 2027 and 2029 for the women’s event) and has been in “targeted dialogue” with World Rugby.
“It means we are not talking to anyone else,” World Rugby’s Gilpin tells the Journal.
There is still considerable risk. USA Rugby entered into, and later exited, chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020. The nonprofit cited “existing financial challenges” that were accelerated by Covid, including a $40 million lawsuit brought by event promoter United World Sports over the loss of a contract to run the annual USA 7s tournament. The lawsuit was later settled for $200,000 and USA Rugby then exited chapter 11, with World Rugby pledging support. Under a new operating model, World Rugby will take on more of the financial burden, and hopefully the reward, of hosting all future World Cups.
Private-equity firms CVC Capital Partners and Silver Lake have invested in rugby, paying $509 million for a 14.3% stake in the annual men’s Six Nations tournament and a still to be determined share of the $2.34 billion New Zealand Rugby commercial venture respectively.
“There are lots of parties interested in investing in sport more broadly, and certainly lots of parties that are interested in investing in rugby. Can we work with some of those parties to drive some parts of that plan more effectively? The answer is probably yes.”
Growth plans include more matches for U.S. national teams in a regular calendar, a target of 450,000 players by 2031, a Pan-Pacific competition for the women’s team and NCAA recognition for women’s’ rugby.
Killebrew says expansion of MLR, which for now features veterans from around the world and young local players, is in the works and envisages the possibility of a 28-team competition by 2031. “We look for $25 million from potential owners, in expansion fees and working capital, and interest has certainly grown with the upcoming World Cup announcement.”
All that is left now for a better performance on the field. The women’s side is ranked sixth and will play in their World Cup in New Zealand in September.
Meanwhile, the men’s USA Eagles have struggled through their qualifying section for 2023, with many of its European-based players not released by their clubs, and face Chile in a two-match repechage in July to win through to France next year.
USA Rugby’s Young winces at the topic, but says the Eagles should get through. “Touch wood it’s a better time of year to be playing the games, given the European season will be over.”
Weeeeel....here''s hopin' https://www.wsj.com/articles/rugby-w...rts_major_pos7

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-13-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 06:22 PM   #42
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:

It was all good and in a thread like this, we take things " with a grain of salt."

Like everyone else, I thought the Rugby stories were humorous and interesting which is what we need here and frequently get, in Subsim.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Everyone here gets " needled " from time to time.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 04:16 AM   #43
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Used to play it in high school. Rugby League not Union. Got a lovely broken nose. Character building.
Old 12-17-22, 12:54 AM   #44
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 Rules: wear your mouth-guard; in-scrum ear-cover(Cauliflowering)& run like hell!

(pssst) it helps to be able to run the 40(yards) in 4.6 seconds! It'll save yer scrawny 145 lb ass over 7 years!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-17-22 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-17-22, 01:03 AM   #45
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
RUGBY BETS IT CAN CONQUER AMERIKA WITH ITS WORLD CUPWeeeeel....here''s hopin' https://www.wsj.com/articles/rugby-w...rts_major_pos7

Succeed where soccer failed (OK, it's a low bar, but still...)
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote