Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-23, 07:02 PM   #136
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post
I'm beyond -9 dptr. with additional "features" as well, anything more than 8cm away from my face appears blurred (Fortunately enough everything can be corrected with glasses).
The only way I could use VR would be specially made glasses (similar to reading glasses) or specially manufactured lenses to put inside the VR system, but they'd be very difficult to aquire and extremely expensive (on the far side of €2,000 - simply not worth it).
Sorry to hear that. My eyes since 1 or 2 years are slowly reversing, and I have started to wear glasses again I wore years ago, my diopters slowly go down, not up anymore. But age-related presbyopia gets worse, slowly. Had none of that until I turned 51 or 52.
I hate getting old. Only losses, no compensations.
Old 01-22-23, 07:32 PM   #137
Skybird
Soaring

Super.

Derail Valley, a darling title of mine - FAIL.

I HATE Microsoft. I have a rage.

I have no idea what to do now. And different to XP and W7 days, I am lost now. I do not know as much about W10 anymore as I knew about XP and W7, there I always was able to solve any issues, after a day of wild cursing and hours of experimenting. Here now, I feel lost, helpless.
Old 01-22-23, 07:55 PM   #138
Skybird
Soaring

From bad to worse.

Dirt Rally 2 - FAIL. Freezes.

GPU and system are not overloaded, temps are moderate, just a fraction of RAM gets used.

Old 01-23-23, 03:21 AM   #139
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

If those are older games and not too hardware-demanding you can probably use a virtual machine, i think at least one VM is still free to use with Win 10 pro. You can install Win 7 on it and it is usually trouble free.

I take ityou already tried start as administarator and in different compatibility modes ?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-23, 04:35 AM   #140
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I assume you are using the public beta version of WMR for SteamVR instead of the lkg_release?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-23, 05:40 AM   #141
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I assume you are using the public beta version of WMR for SteamVR instead of the lkg_release?
I never heard of that difference. I plugged the set in in Decembre 2021, it downloaded stuff, as far as I recall, and there I was.

This is important not to forget, I think. All the software I mentioned to have probelms now - has run smooth and fluent since 13 months and without needing workarounds. Back then i did the last Windows Update, to not get force-upgraded by the promotional software for the Widnows 11 rollout like it ha shappened to some people out there, and not just a few ones. That was also the last time I updated gpu drivers. Since then, NOTHING has changed on the hardware side here, and has not until to this very day. The GPU driver has been updated two days ago, however, in an effort to repair what the 22H2 update then apparently has broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
If those are older games and not too hardware-demanding you can probably use a virtual machine, i think at least one VM is still free to use with Win 10 pro. You can install Win 7 on it and it is usually trouble free.

I take ityou already tried start as administarator and in different compatibility modes ?
VR with a high-res headset like the G2 you do not want to run on a system that has additional performance stress added to it, because the VRAM already gets fried anyway no matter how much you have, and the GPU temp is in the orange and the CPU temps are at the upper end of the range the system sees when running demanding games.

That are no old, "classical" games form WindowXP days. Some of them even still are in Early Access. Also, some of them need to be launched via Steam App to enable their VR option.

And they all ran problem-free for 13 months and then 4 years before. You may have noticed my enthusiasm in this thread over the years. They ran for four years before the G2 arrived, with the Oculus Rift.

Then came Microsoft, and in parts it all is ruined.

--------------------------------

I have meanwhile tried to start with different VR platform backgrounds ("environments" for WMR), since these are extremely VRAM consuming and block signficant parts of it just for being stored there uselessly even when playing, That way, by using an almost empty white screen (the arsenal room from matrix) instead of the beautiful but RAM eating beautiful houses and places of WMR, I freed severla GB (!!) of VRAM on my graphics card which holds 11GB in total. VRAM usage in running game at the ver ystrat of playing dropped from 8-8.5 GB to ~3-3.5 GB, and then slowly mounting upwards when playing ! Who codes this kind of mindless sh!+...? Killing hardware for useless crap...? It looks beautiful, yes, but it kills performance!! In this case almost half of my gpu board's VRAM - for nothing relevant!

Same with SteamVR's "Home" environment, i switched it off (which makes launching titles sometimes a hassle now, since WMR hardware is not reliably recognized under SteamVR and only so if titles are launched from Home, i thus have switched it on again meanwhile - else I have a Google Streetview for exmaple where the controllers are functionless, do not get properly recognised, which makes Earth unusable). I also reduced visual options for the headset, to minimums, pixels are at 50% (minimum) of the default value and pixel resolution I tried to push down from 1.7 to 1.5, then 1.4, then 1.2 - no difference, problems persist.

I suspect the "Update" for Windows added some demanding stuff to Windows which makes it running while consuming more ressources for something, task manager does not identify it for me, however. Its as if my rig has been technically downgraded.

Or some hidden option has been set to a different setting.

The titles in question do launch, they run some time into normal operation, usually around 20-40 seconds or so - and then the image freezes, I move the head, but the perspective does not change anymore, some seconds later later it turns dark and I am back to 2D desktop on the monitor, and SteamVR is locked, must be manually ended, WMR must be ended (simpyl retarting SteamVR means mess, but that was already the case before all this) and restarted, too. There is still 20% free memory on the gpu, temp is ornage,m but not red, idnciating aorund 90-02°, which for the gpu is normal under full stress. CPU load is low, CPU temp is normal game temp, RAM suage is just a tiny fraction of those 32GB I have.

----------

I now google on Dowly's lkg-WMR thing. Have no clue what it is about.

On a sidenote, and for Dowly, I bought a little tool, 3.50 Euros, at steam, name is FpsVR. Chech it out, it gives you deep system insight while running software and being inside the VR world, that way you can monitor for example RAM and VRAM usage, temps of cpu and gpu, and some more. At the same time it is completely unobstreusive, becasue the little display is "gluied" to the bottom of your left virtual hand, you miust move it quite unnaturally to see it and thus it does not interfere with gameplay. Feedback is utmost positive and many call it an essential must-have.

I also followed this video in one attempt to solve this, but it did not help, but it illustrates some of the background problems with RAM usgae by WMR, or should I say: RAM wasting. The SkySpoaces he emnitons is not accessible anymore, apparently, I thus dropped the Matrix background, a white void for the most, manually, it replaces what he says on SkySpace.

And I tried this video, it also did not help, and the reg hacks at the end I even had to undo again becasue else the headset, after the latest freezing event, would have blocked the system endlessly until I manually rebooted.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-23 at 06:02 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-23, 05:46 AM   #142
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I now google on Dowly's lkg-WMR thing. Have no clue what it is about.
Go to the WMR for SteamVR settings on Steam, under Betas choose public beta. LKG stands for "Last Known Good" release, but using the public beta version is recommended.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-23, 06:19 AM   #143
Skybird
Soaring

I just have found it, thanks, I try both options anyway, if need be. Have just downloaded LKG, if no effect I will try the Beta.
Old 01-23-23, 08:00 AM   #144
Skybird
Soaring

Yopu could have set me on something, Dowly, thank you. Activating the LKG branch of SteamVR had somehtign gettig downlaode,d so a chnage took palce I assume. First two tests were with Pinball FX 2 VR and Air Car, and both applicaitosn ran for 10 minutes and without any stuttering or freezes then. That is the change to the status last night.

Further tests are needed, but I have no time currently. Will update this thread.

Thanks, Dowly, hopefully this tip eases if not heals the issues. I had deionstaleld and re-downloaded SteamVR - but not the Betas and the LKG, but the normal strain. I did not know of these coexisting strains for SteamVR.
Old 01-23-23, 12:33 PM   #145
Skybird
Soaring

Well, it seems both the Beta and the LKG branch of the WMR_for_SteamVR works good for me - so far all titles that fialed yesterday work with any of these two, only Wreckfest suffers so dearly form performance loss that playing it inside Virtual Desktop still is impossible. Not all titles have been tested, just those form yesterday, and I acuztally could have pushed the VR settings back to their former higher settings to improve the resolution quality again.

I owe you an marinated caribou, Dowly.
Old 01-29-23, 09:13 AM   #146
Skybird
Soaring

For watching best in VR. Elegant, incredible, big. And everywhere this exuberant abundance, a teeming with life.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-29-23 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 09:05 AM   #147
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some question on ETS2 and ATS and steering wheel.

Is these two simulation games VR compatible and can you use steering wheel and pedal instead of these hand held controller ?

If Yes to the games-Can I use the one I have or shall I buy new VR compatible ETS2 and ATS ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 09:30 AM   #148
Skybird
Soaring

ETS2 is formally in Beta VR, but since years works PERFECTLY in VR (its a blast), you only need to download a Betastrain of the executable in steam options, I think. Driving world as well as homestation and menus - all is in VR.

Yes, it is also wheel and pedals compatible, even gearboxes are suppoprted, but modern trucks all use pretty much automatic gears now.

I bet money that both is true for ATS as well.

Very immersive and relaxing ETS in VR is.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-02-23 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-04-23, 08:08 AM   #149
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

If his review on the new V2 version of HP Reverb G2 V2 is correct, then I'm going to buy this version.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 08:46 AM   #150
Skybird
Soaring

Think of it also from this perspective: there is no real alternative currently, maybe. The alternatives one might think of either bind you to Facebook, means: a Meta account at least, or, in case of the Vive, sell you now outdated hardware for a price that always was overpriced. The lighthouse tracking of Vive is said to be the best, yes, but the display is inferior, it has lower resolution. If you read gauges in a cockpit or small print under the instruments or on buttons, this is what makes the difference. In the G2 you can read it. In the Vive most likely not.

Order via internet, Markus, I think EU law means you can give any item back within 2 weeks or so - no matter what. If your rig shows to be too weak, you can give it back then (the set, not the rig ). If buying in a shop, you depend on the seller showing goodwill if you want your money back. Most shops will comply, but some will not but and insist on giving you a coupon. Internet traders have no legal choice, they MUST give you back the money if you want it so.